JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Notices

Old 27.04.2011, 10:34
trevor.reznik

Default Usability: countdown and malformed XML/DLC

Hi,

I noticed two usability issues with jdownloader that are bugging me.

1) All countdowns have progress bars like the download progress. So when I check the download progress I am mixing up countdowns with downloads at the first glance. Only at a second glance I can see the difference. This is a bad thing as the progress bars cannot be used to quickly check progress. Suggestion: Remove bars for countsdowns completely. As countdown time vary the bars are useless anyway as 50% can mean anything.

2) I recently downloaded DLCs that I thought were opened by Jdownloader in the background. I checked and saw - nothing. The reason was that the DLCs were corrupt and Jdownloader complained about malformed XML but this message was only visible for a few moments. So when I maximized the Jdownloader window, the message had been gone already leaving me with a plain Jdownloader window. Suggestion: List the DLC in the link grabber tab with the error message about malformed XML.

Just my 2ct.

trev
Old 27.04.2011, 11:15
remi

1) That must be one of the reasons why I don't use that column. You can hide it.

2) I support this suggestion. The same happens with decrypted links. I usually have to repeat the decryption process in order to confirm that something is wrong, because the status messages disappear very quickly. Decrypting a batch of links is entirely impossible when there are several problematic links.
Old 28.04.2011, 10:21
trevor.reznik

Quote:
Originally Posted by remi View Post
2) I support this suggestion. The same happens with decrypted links. I usually have to repeat the decryption process in order to confirm that something is wrong, because the status messages disappear very quickly. Decrypting a batch of links is entirely impossible when there are several problematic links.
Yesterday services.jdownloader.org was offline for some time. Another situation in which I wondered where the DLCs had gone. Good usability means to show users what happened and give them the chance to retry.

Trev

Last edited by trevor.reznik; 28.04.2011 at 10:39.
Old 28.04.2011, 11:31
JD Manager

our isp where the server is located was offline.
we try to improve usability in that case
Old 28.04.2011, 14:55
trevor.reznik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
our isp where the server is located was offline.
we try to improve usability in that case
That is good news. I also noticed that there are no messages when jobs are completed (and removed after completion). I was just wondering that a job was gone but the file had not been extracted. Maybe a list of messages can cover all possible situations (and it can be easily extended with new messages):
  • Job 1 completed
  • Job 1 extracted
  • Job 1 deleted
  • DLC could not be opened due to malformed XML
  • DLC could not be opened: services.jdownloader.org not available

To make this even more helpful specific actions could be offered like "show file in folder", "delete DLC", "retry", and so on.

Trev
Old 29.04.2011, 11:29
remi

1) The status messages should be listed in the Linkgrabber and not disappear before the customer can read them. No further actions can be taken when the messages disappear.

Sometimes these messages disappear so quickly that they're barely noticeable.

Some messages don't even mention a reason why a link doesn't work. For instance, try **External links are only visible to Support Staff****External links are only visible to Support Staff**

2) The notification of events should be configurable when the Event Manager comes back.

See also