JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Notices

Old 27.10.2009, 00:28
cilacorp

Default JDownloader! with torrents

I want to know if there some plugin for can open .torrents files and download

Last edited by Jiaz; 27.10.2009 at 00:52.
Old 27.10.2009, 00:52
JD Manager

http://svn.jdownloader.org/issues/show/782
Old 27.10.2009, 09:42
JD Addict

Jiaz, does this mean JD will be able to download torrents files?
Old 27.10.2009, 14:06
stojke

JD torrent support will just bring more bugs, why doing that when there are few very good torrent clients like Bittorrent,uTorrent...
Old 27.10.2009, 14:30
JD Manager

it just means we will discuss this once we have time. at the moment its only normal feature wish
Old 27.10.2009, 15:58
English Supporter

I wish this request won't be granted, because torrent is considered as unsecure application.
Please be selective, don't grant every request.
JD will become ugly and no integrity, like a story written by 1000 writers.
:)
Old 28.10.2009, 05:09
cilacorp

I think that should see an option for those who want torrents:unsure:
Old 29.10.2009, 13:50
panamaha

Lightbulb

stojke if Jdownloader is a "(good) download manager" has to have torrent support. Because most of people want to use one manager for everything.
Don't forget that Jdownloader works on every OS. So I can resume the same download after I restart my computer (and change the OS). So if I use Linux and windows or mac and windows I can resume my torrent files too. But there is no a download manager which works on every OS. So for torrent files I have to use just one OS :( . Thats why torrent support is very important.
Old 30.10.2009, 01:04
stojke

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamaha View Post
stojke if Jdownloader is a "(good) download manager" has to have torrent support. Because most of people want to use one manager for everything.
Don't forget that Jdownloader works on every OS. So I can resume the same download after I restart my computer (and change the OS). So if I use Linux and windows or mac and windows I can resume my torrent files too. But there is no a download manager which works on every OS. So for torrent files I have to use just one OS :( . Thats why torrent support is very important.
I know it is great to use one application for all your needs, but you will never find that kind of software free, and JD is free. It would be cool to use JD as an antivirus, firewall, file manager, media player ... but that requires time, people, money,and after all the work JD would probably be worse than other free software in their domain. JD is downloader for filehosting web sites and it is best of its kind, and it's free!

Speaking of torrent clients, BitTorrent and Vuze work on Windows, Mac and Linux.I haven't used them on mac but you don't even need the same client to resume the torrent file you are downloading you just need to open torrent file with any client and set downloading to same directory.
Old 30.10.2009, 11:50
remi

Cool

stojke, I totally agree. I like convincing posts that show facts and expertise
Old 02.11.2009, 16:20
panamaha

stojke we don't wanna use JD as antivirus but a scanner for viruses of downloaded files automatically according which antivirus you have on your system, we don't wanna use JD as media player but it can play (review) the multimedia files of downloaded files quickly according which media player have your system, we don't wanna use JD as file manager but we can open the downloaded files accoring the default file manager on your computer...
We don't wanna use JD as something else, we want JD to use everything about DOWNLOAD and download means %50 torrent.
Old 03.11.2009, 14:40
remi

Cool

My browser has an integrated torrent client as well, but I don't use it because it doesn't have the finer controls that Azureus has.

BTW, jD is a downloader. A torrent client needs to upload as well.
Old 26.12.2009, 20:29
sdman

Support it please, not because torrent is important but is important to manage all downloads from one Manager !
Old 27.12.2009, 09:06
JD English Support (inactive)

It is better to do one thing well than several things poorly.

Vuze is having that problem. Azeurus was a very good torrent client. However, adding all of the other stuff has made for a difficult program to support. Since Vuze is also Java based, it is not unreasonable to start both programs with one script.

The complexity of torrents is immense. BitTorrent is getting too fat. There are now several side protocols to support in addition to just the .torrent file and the multiple kinds of stream that make up a BitTorrent connection. Also, a BitTorrent client can be dealing with hundreds of peers at one time, while dealing with OS restrictions on half-connects, differences in stream formats between clients and trackers of different versions.

Shareaza started as a Gnutella 2 client, then then added Gnutella 1 and edonkey. All of them have similar protocols, so it was a reasonable goal. They have been saying they support Torrents for at least two years, but only have the job about half done.

As remi said, JD is a downloader (DDL), while a torrent client is a sharing program (p2p). These are not really compatible.

Integration has some surprisingly bad consequences. If you follow the logic, you will see that you would be making everything you download from RS available for sharing over the torrent system if there is a .torrent file for it somewhere. Any RS file that also has a torrent could be downloaded through the torrent system instead.

If they are not integrated, should they be interfaced? Most of us are short on bandwidth. It would be nice to find a fair way for the two programs to share the bandwidth. But what is fair? It would be great if a .Torrent file were just like a .DLC, except that the streaming was handled by this other piece of software. Then, when the files are downloaded, JD could perform the assembly (usually unrar). But, in that case it would be better to just integrate JDunrar into Vuze.

Unless you are going to start a project for that integration, I would not expect any real torrent support in JD. There is just too much to do with JD as it is. Integrating the streaming portion of Vuze would just drown the team.

Maybe this example will get the point across. Windows tries to do everything on a huge assortment of hardware, without any need for the users to know anything about the OS. They have even integrated the web browser as the shell, so that they can get all of the neat HTML and STL effects. When Vista was released, there were over 1000 known bugs and 2000 other issues. That is part of the reason for automatic updates, Microsoft cannot keep up with the real world.

On the other hand, Mac OSX is very stable, has much fewer virus problems, and hardly ever crashes (compared to Windows). It is also several times faster on the same hardware. It doesn't try to do everything.
Old 27.12.2009, 09:56
sdman

Sorry for my english I can't understand you exactly but most of download manager support torrent too !
Old 27.12.2009, 12:57
remi

Cool

That might be the reason they are not as good as jD.
Old 27.12.2009, 13:30
English Supporter

From post 2 we can see that: Status changed from New to Closed (WONTFIX).
Old 27.12.2009, 14:05
sdman

I tell you again ! :

not because torrent is important but is important to manage all downloads from one Manager !
Old 28.12.2009, 12:01
remi

Cool

Nobody will block you if you learn Java or find someone who can program the feature for you.
Old 28.12.2009, 18:41
clookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdman View Post
...but is important to manage all downloads from one Manager !
fail
because torrents are something completely different than filehosts.
this will ask twice as much time from the devs to maintain this.
utorrent is only a few kb's big, not a single AIO-application can replace that
it's already hard enough for the team to keep the current plugins working and fixing bugs
NO is my vote