View Single Post
Old 17.08.2011, 12:46
madascene

Quote:
Originally Posted by remi View Post
Interesting. Usually the participants in open source development (programmers, HMI experts, requirements analysts, architects, supporters, translators, project managers, etc.) all have some vested interest in seeing a product succeed.

Can you please explain your statement? If you use a definition of this concept other than the one given by communication theory in "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vested_interest" please refer to it.
Its simple really. Some developers develop programs for money. There are others that develop free programs with the intention of making money from ads or trialware or by some other means (i.e. they have a vested interest; Google is fine example of this).
And then there are devs who develop programs for free for the community without any intention of making money off it. I happen to think Jdownloader falls in the last category much like the linux and firefox developers or so it seems for now. What may happen in future I can't predict. Correct me if I am wrong though.

And please don't point to the dictionary. We all know what a term is usually used to mean even though the official definition may be something else.

Last edited by madascene; 17.08.2011 at 12:49.