View Single Post
Old 11.07.2021, 12:27
I will play nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
@AndyDandy: JDownloader only decompress archives after download when supported archive format and you have setup JDownloader to do so (default yes). By default JDownloader doesn't delete the archive parts but you can change that in Settings->Archive Extractor ->"Delete Archive Files..." and "Delete Archive download links.."

Either you're adding the non compressed and compressed version of your files or, more likely, you download the compressed version and JDownloader does auto extract it but keep (default) the archive as well. Just change the settings as described. If you don't want to auto decompress, just disable Settings->Archive Extractor, upper right corner or via archive level via rightclick context menu
Ah okay, I see the settings, I think I understand how it works now. So it looks like I had it backwards: JDownloader is downloading the archive first (as should be expected, I suppose), and *then* extracting the files second. In that case, I'm guessing that it isn't possible to configure it to repack the extracted files into a .7z archive. Or is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
What exactly do you mean by that? Can you give examples/screenshots?
Your first reply resolved that. I was referring to JDownloader extracting archive files after downloading; I just hadn't worded it properly because I wasn't fully understanding what was occurring: "was JDownloader somehow downloading the contents of archived files first and then packing them into an archive, or was it downloading the archive and then extracting the contents?" Obviously now, in hindsight, it's the latter.

But now that makes me curious: can JDownloader be configured to take those extracted files and repack them into a .7z archive, while maintaining the naming of the archive they were originally extracted from? (i.e. after JDownloader finishes downloading 'xyz.rar' and extracts its contents, it will then repack them into a new archive titled 'xyz.7z'.)

I've been using JDownloader for downloading lots of archived multi-GB files that aren't in .7z format. For me having everything in .7z archives would save me a lot of space as opposed to .zip or .rar, and I'm not very tech-literate so I don't think I can come up with another way to do this other than individually creating new archives, one by one. If I could set up my download manager to do this automatically as it's downloading the archives it would save me a lot of work.