View Single Post
Old 16.08.2019, 03:27
Super Loader

Default Strange behavior with the YouTube variants selector

I've been noticing this for a while, but today I finally paid close attention and tried to put my finger on what was going on.

Given that I don't think it's really feasible to make an automatic variant selection rule to suit all my different needs when downloading YT sources (a really advanced IA would be needed, I'm afraid), I decided to set JD to only automatically add thumbnails and text descriptions as a handle so I can later select the variants manually to suit my needs for each case.
Personally, I would just have the description selected automatically, but some videos don't have a description, and that would result in some of the links not being added at all, so I added the thumbnails too so there's always a link to use as handle.
I did this to avoid having to go through lists of links removing unwanted variants all the time and THEN selecting the ones I DO WANT. This way I save myself from having to do the former.

So, in this case, I'm trying to get audio only from this music playlist
**External links are only visible to Support Staff****External links are only visible to Support Staff**

Generally, I prefer Opus audio, but it seems not all files have Opus, so I select all links and download both Opus and the M4A AAC variant, and later recheck the list so see if there's something I don't want, or after downloading.

Well, here come the problems.

First of all, for some reason, even thouhg I specifically select Opus and M4A, for many of the links I also get .aac variants that I don't want because they don't have lenght info, it seems. I even get .aac variants when choosing only Opus.
So I went over some of the links individually, and I found that some of them had Opus 128, others 152 and others 160, even though when doing the variant selection on all of them at once, only a 128kbit version was shown to me. For those that, individually, didn't show an Opus 128kbit version, I got 128kbit .aac instead.

I haven't tried all possible combinations, but in general terms, there seems to be a problem when displaying available variants over multiple URLs, and when there's a mismatch between what it shows and what there actually is, I get .aac instead, even if I only select Opus.

Is this a bug or do I have something misconfigured?

I guess my use case is kind of odd and the selector is not well tuned to deal with my abuse