View Single Post
Old 03.03.2020, 08:12
JD Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by accelheim View Post
I see it now and I agree, it's a lot faster. Thanks.

Regarding the link I posted for the 4K video, any reason why it doesn't get downloaded in 4K (only 1080p)?

Link:
**External links are only visible to Support Staff**...
One reason is that the uploader didn't upload it as a 4K to begin with more than likely as 4K is much bigger than 1080, they may have not had the disk space themselves or decided to not put a strain on their systems or the end users systems too not to mention the BW that one might need to actually view such via youtube chat might also cause delays and extra buffering, etc.

Yes Youtube now allows for 4k but it doesnt mean everything will be dl'ed and converted as such.

There are several factors involved with 4k such as codec being used and compression too of course. Whle not getting too overly technical, the simple answer is a two hour 1080p HDR Movie in good to great clarity would be 800mb to 1200mb averaging to 1GB. A 4K movie is usually 2.5GB to 4GB, but can be as large as 20GB on many sites.

A one minute of 1080p at 30 frames per second video requires 130 MB, a 4K video at the same frame rate would require a 375 MB.

That being said of course, this is very general as compression and quality make a huge difference. Movies on these sites are usually compressed with minimal loss of clarity. If filming with a video camera on 1080p or 4K two hour files would be much larger.

When it comes to youtube and what one gets well I usually just try to grab the default for the individual share there. I don't really try to up size them as the case would be from what your asking as that would also degrade the Clarity of the end viewing pleasure.

Last edited by Statter; 03.03.2020 at 08:15.