Thread: [Solved in JD2] Ignore certain file types
View Single Post
Old 22.06.2010, 15:15
JD Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by remi View Post
I think almost every aspect of jD has been documented (except the decrypters, but they're a secret now).

The board's search engine is very weak as most popular search engines are. I think a semantic web approach would be a better tool to find the relevant information in a language independent way.
I meant by online help in the application, or the wiki.
Both are full of stubs and outdated information.

Right-Click on most things in JD and it tells you nothing (maybe echoes the name of the button you selected) or takes you to an empty page in the wiki:
e.g. Settings/Link filter: that links to http://wiki.jdownloader.org/quickhelp/Link-filter -- which is empty.

Everything might be in some post in the forum, the problem is finding it. Might as well not exist if you can't when you need it. Anyway, old posts referring to old versions and bugs aren't helpful when you want to know something about the current version. Any search will be full of irrelevant, and/or wrong, comments, and that will only get worse as the total number of posts grow.

A forum is good for discussion, very poor as a reference.

I've said it before: a wiki is a great structure for organising information, that allows users to contribute. But users are locked out and the developers don't seem to bother ever to update it. You'd think that providing a paragraph of description in the relevant wiki article would be a part of the process when any code is added or updated. But best you can hope for is a cryptic mention in the "What's new" list, good luck making sense of that if you can even find it.

Last edited by Gweilo; 23.06.2010 at 05:28.