View Single Post
Old 05.11.2012, 14:51
TizzyD

I have been very impressed with JDv2. It's been very stable, and overall, I appreciate the work that has gone into it. The new UI has improved the use of the software, and I believe it's easier to use.

There are two changes that impacts my use, and I wanted to know if there are any other ways I might be able to more effectively re-acquire that functionality:

A. Loss of Properties sub panel and its implications for use
Previously, I left the properties panel visible in the LinkGrabber list. From that panel, I was able to easily set the name of the package as well as the download directory. Since there really is no way to determine the source of the link--text on the clipboard does not contain the URL of the page from which it was grabbed--I set the download location manually. As well, I clean up the package name at that time, since packages sometimes have a wide variety of strange names.

It no longer seems possible to show the properties for a package as before. Moreover, the simple sub panel has been replaced by two dialogs, one nested in the other. From the right mouse menu, selecting Other > Move to New Package effectively gives me the ability to rename the package. (Moving to a different name vs. renaming...no big deal. I do it all the time in shell scripts.)

The path at the bottom of that dialog no longer even uses the combo text box that the previous version used. Instead, it's a simple text field. The combo text box is still available, but only once I click on the Choose button.

As a result, the number of steps to prepare a package for download now requires not only several more mouse grabs but also new dialog boxes. In simple terms, it is a less optimized approach, requiring the user to perform more actions to enter the same information.

So:
1. Since the properties panel is now gone, is there a way to invoke the Move to New Package dialog through a keyboard combination? If so, what is that combination?
2. Is it possible to change the control for the Save To location from a simple text box to the combo text box visible in the Choose Directory dialog? If not, is there some way to create favorite locations, so that several additional keyboard steps/mouse clicks are not required to enter in the download location?

B. Keyboard navigation
I have noticed that there appear to be some human interface guideline inconsistencies from other applications, and I wanted to know if I mistaken, or if these are the means that you favor.

Clicking on a field with text does not highlight the text in the field. I checked the Windows, OSX, and Gnome guidelines, and they all support something akin to the following approach: When the user gives focus to an entry field using the keyboard, place the text cursor at the end of the existing text and highlight its contents (but don't overwrite the existing PRIMARY clipboard selection). Is there a reason for this variance?

When the Folder Name combo text box has focus on the Choose Directory dialog, standard activation means (down arrow, space bar) on OSX do not display the list. Usually, these keys activate the list box, making it visible, so that keyboard navigation can take place. Is there a reason for this variance?

Thanks for your work on this product, and I hope that my questions are not from the RTFM pile. If so, feel free to direct me to the help manual so that I do not ask such silly questions in the future.