Thread: [See Bugtracker] Speed limit for individual downloads?
View Single Post
Old 27.12.2011, 01:10
Giga Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspzockerscene View Post
So you say limiting one download to give the other one more speed makes your download faster?
Not really!
Also even with the new feature you'll always have to correct the speed manually
...the feature will be implemented but we have no date for it so please just wait.

GreeZ pspzockerscene
Let us say I have 450KB/s available. If I set "Maximum Downloads" to 3, one or two files are going to take up all the bandwidth and at least one of them is almost certainly going to get crowded out, time out and fail. Many servers do not support resume, so files will continually fail and start over from the beginning, wasting lots of time and bandwidth. If a server does support resume, the file might get corrupted from being cut off and resumed so many times.

If on the other hand I set "Maximum Downloads" to 1, eventually, even with a premium account, I am going to run into parts that download at something like 50KB/s or less. With some parts being as big as 1GB or more, this means an entire night of 400KB/s wasted until the file is completed and a new one from a fresh server is started. There might also arise problems with one host and given that we are limited to a single download, the program might not move on to another download from a different host and remain stuck the whole time while downloading nothing.

Now let us say you give us the option of "Maximum Speed per Download", no matter if I am downloading from a single host or from several hosts. I can then set "Maximum Downloads" to 3 and "Maximum Speed per Download" to 150KB/s. In this way, I am having three parallel downloads with no risk of one of them killing the others, and if a problem arises with one download (dead host, slow speed) I lose at most but 1/3rd of my bandwidth rather than all of it.

This is efficiency, and efficiency is what a program like JDownloader should strive towards.

I am a heavy user of JDownloader and this is the only feature that in my opinion it is missing. A single yet colossal deficiency.