View Single Post
Old 18.03.2023, 11:52
Modem User

I'm not suggesting the license be changed, I'm suggesting that the (un)availability of the source code not to violate the license its object code is distributed under. Also even if the license is changed in the future it wouldn't retroactively apply to older distributed copies and thus the source code for those older copies must still follow their old license.

To my understanding of the GPL closed-source plugins are only allowed if the main program and the plugin do not constitute a single piece of software, this basically means they don't share intimate communication with complex data structures. In the case of JD it would most definitely constitute a single piece of software as the plugins inherit directly from code defined within the main program sharing intimate communication and data structures. Essentiality isn't an important criteria compared to the interaction between the main program and plugin, but even if it was in JD's case I would argue the plugins are an essential part of the software as they perform functionality critical to fulfilling the software's purpose in supporting the automation of downloads from various services.