View Single Post
Old 17.08.2011, 13:38
remi

@madascene

I liked to learn more about the term "vested interests", because I didn't know it. Let's drop the term then. I'm glad the issue is simple for you.

I think most participants working in open source projects are free people consuming their free time. Why would they spend so many hours on developing free software if it weren't in their own self interest?

Making money shouldn't be the primary stimulant, force or motivation to make life interesting and give a sense to one's life. I know some people pay others to have sex, but most of the time sex is for free (I hope).

I think the factor money most of the time is a blocking factor to do something about the problems on Earth. Money tends to enslave people, makes people who already have a lot of it corrupt and it is the main reason for crimes and murder.

jD is a project of a company that makes money, otherwise the company would go bankrupt. Even if jD would be run by a non-profit organisation it would receive tax deductible donations, because it's so popular.

I know that some people say that FF (to give an example that you cite) has become a toy for Mozilla developers instead of a useful browser. If this would be true most people using FF would choose another browser. The developers of FF would then have a nice time experimenting and playing with the browser that nobody else would find useful.

The future will prove that developing software in an open way (not only source code but also design) works much better and will gradually replace all other types of secret, patented developments. Linux is a good example. When my PC with XP dies my next OS very probably will be Linux and certainly not a proprietary OS. Most of the software I'm running already is free or open source and will run on Linux as well.

Maybe we should read more about "open source" products and learn why they're becoming much more successful than closed/proprietary/sold products.

My theory is that the money based economy as it exists today has too many unsolvable problems and will naturally/logically be replaced by something else that will finally solve the real problems people are having. Wars, greed, weapons, poverty, climate change, overpopulation, resource shortages, malnutrition, chronic deceases and cancer are all problems that aren't solved because it's not in the interest of the monopolistic monetary system managed by some small power elites and supported by a collaborating, unconscious, tax paying middle class.