Thread: [Solved] reCaptcha Stopped Working
View Single Post
Old 14.06.2019, 07:44
Fibre Channel User

Thumbs up

Hello, Jiaz,
thank you so much for your quick response.

I am always very happy to read your posts, you really seem to be a wonderful person. Thank you for tolerating our questions for so much time... Your time and dedication is very well appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
2.) You might wanna try out the Android MyJDownloader App where we've already implemented the *non js* variant of Recaptcha. You can *switch mode* the recaptcha mode. Might be worth a try.
I will definitely try that, I was indeed aware of its existence, but had never tried. Thanks for pointing me to that solution.

Quote:
We're also working on some ideas for the Browser extension but can only hope that it might improve the situation but cannot guarantee/promise it. We don't know ourselves what Google does or when...
That is good to know. Thank you for the information. You are absolutely right, when it comes to this problem, it would be impossible to give any type of guarantee. You can even find a fix for it today and it might very well be completely broken and unusable by tomorrow, thanks to the might power of Google, its own interests and all of the secrecy involved in this reCaptcha problem. I can even understand if you feel a little bit of despair sometimes, given the nature and characteristics of this problem.

Its clear they have a legitimate problem in their hands (protection against automated machines on the web), but the way they go about solving it has became really suspicious (in my opinion). I understand the need for secrecy (to a point), but where does reCaptcha stop being a web tool and starts becoming an indispensable data mining/AI training tool in the service of a private company? How much abuse can they really force on us?

I wonder if you have ever considered "fiddling" with the reCaptcha tool on jdownloader.org site itself, in order to fully understand exactly what options are available for site owners when you use the tool:
- do you really have full control on how hard or how easy the puzzle will be for your users?
- can you limit the number of screens?
- can you limit the matrix of the image (3x3, 4x4, 5x5, etc)?
...and many more questions that seems to be NOT documented anywhere on the web.

Quote:
sometimes it works perfectly fine for me on first/2nd try, sometimes it's mix of good/bad and some other days I only get *please train my AI till death* captcha loops
This made me laugh, I'm really ashamed to say... "please train my AI till death" is the most perfect phrasing for this system. I don't know what is wrong with us humans that we take (even moderate) comfort in knowing that others share in our pain...