View Single Post
Old 16.05.2010, 20:24
Linkgrabbing Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbits View Post
Double posts removed and posts deleted as requested.
-----------------------------------------------------
I didn't make the edit request. This is the first forum I've encountered that asks users to collect all replies into one post. The reason that is frowned upon is that the second reply will often be missed by the poster to whom the reply was written.

However, it is very disturbing for moderators to apply rules that don't appear in the FAQ or rules section of the forum. I'll follow rules as long as they're clearly stated. But applying rules and conventions that no one knows about, I don't understand that.

Quote:
Jiaz has submitted a list of bugs (a subset) to Sun. There is a board there for the purpose and others have added to the list. There is no need to search this site for the bugs, Jiaz has done it.
I'll PM Jiaz about that. I searched the Sun/JRE bug database and developer forum posts for "Jiaz" and found only a couple of posts about remote process invocation. He appears to have register and posted under the same nym, but I'll find out from him directly.

Quote:
-----------------------------------------------------
You are free to use any version of Java 1.6 you want with JDownloader. We just advise a specific version, because it works better. If you want our help, following our advice is a good idea.
All I can tell you is that I've been using JRE v18, v19 and v20 with no problems and that the issue I reported in this thread occurred with v17 and v20. It was not JRE version specific.

I've decided to run v20 because it has closed some security holes that are common to all Java apps and I haven't seen any version specific bugs. JRE v20 also handles screen updates much better than v17, along with much lower cpu utilization.

It's very possible users on other operating systems or who use other file hosts have experienced JRE version specific problems. I haven't yet, so using the newer and safer JRE would appear to be a no brainer, no problems with better security.

Last edited by weblurker; 16.05.2010 at 20:27.