View Single Post
Old 17.05.2018, 09:13
Modem User

@KoloheWiz: I've been dealing with this same as you since Spectrum took over. I first noticed it after a JD2 update, but I think that was just a coincidence. I figured out that it was Spectrum screwing with our traffic by testing with a VPN service--it works perfectly through a VPN. Unfortunately, that's the only way to use UL now through Spectrum in Hawaii. All the VPNs work here in Hawaii, they don't care where you're coming from. You usually pay either for a lifetime subscription or a monthly fee. ProXPN works fine but I lose about about 2/3 of my speed (300 down to less than 100) and have to use a lot of simultaneous connections to get any kind of decent speed. And you have to remember to turn on the VPN before you use UL. Also, if the VPN drops out, you'll get locked out as soon as JD2 starts trying to reconnect. VPN Guard didn't help, even though that feature of ProXPN is supposed to prevent apps (that you specify) from being able to connect the internet if the VPN is not connected. I tested the feature and it seemed to be working, but I still got locked out when VPN connection went down. So, it doesn't seem to be reliable.

If the new administration hadn't dismantled net neutrality, what Spectrum is doing now would be illegal. I know they're only doing it to screw with us. I'm sure they're just targeting UL because they know we'll get locked out.

Wouldn't it be nice if we had some real competition in ISPs in America? Yeah, this system we have sucks. Maybe SpaceX will get their system up sometime in the next decade. Spectrum is just evil.