Thread: [User feedback required] Youtube Issue Thread!
View Single Post
Old 27.05.2016, 12:11
JD Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by De-M-oN View Post
Youtube uses only 128 kbit. Only non-dash has higher variants.
How do you know? Itag 22 for v=tx6NoKu4cI0 has a 192kbits

Quote:
Best quality is a liar. MP4 is actually A LOT worse quality than VP9.
We consider more than the pure quality. e.g. compatibility. "best mainstream/HW Player compatible" would be a better name, but we have to keep JD simple and accessable. Mywomanwould not know what "best mainstream/HW Player compatible" means.
For all "Pros". there are advanced settings like Youtube.qualitysortidentifierordervideocodec:

[ "H264", "VP9_BETTER_PROFILE_1", "VP9_BETTER_PROFILE_2", "VP9", "VP9_WORSE_PROFILE_1", "H263", "VP8" ] --> ["VP9_BETTER_PROFILE_1", "VP9_BETTER_PROFILE_2", "VP9", "VP9_WORSE_PROFILE_1", "VP8", "H264", "H263" ]

Same for Youtube.qualitysortidentifierorderaudiocodec

Quote:
Opus Audio (ID 251) was changed from 160 kbit to 128 kbit since a lot of month ago. You should update the label to 128.
Thx. Seems like you have insight. Why do you know things like this?
Quote:
Youtube offers HFR videos for 1440 and 4k only as VP9.
[...]
VP9 looks by far better anyway.
if there is no >1080p mp4 60fps, JD should not offer it. I did a test, and this seems to work. JD only offers webm60fps for high resolutions

I agree that vp9 looks better, but I still think it is better to keep mp4/h264 as default. People who know vp9 with all pros and cons (like you), can change the default order. Others get the h264 stream and profit from the better compatibility.

Last edited by coalado; 27.05.2016 at 12:17.