Thread: [Solved in JD2] captcha sound alert [international]
View Single Post
Old 01.04.2010, 12:19
remi

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by roflmywaffle View Post
Just to interject, but what features were in 0.4 that are now removed in 0.9?
And how come they were removed?
jD 0.4 has several features that disappeared in later versions :-

- an identifiable JDownloader process/image name (firewall/virus problems started with the 'anonymous' java(w) processes; I never found out the reasons why this was changed);

- event manager (this functionality would solve many of the problems, suggestions and requirements posted in this board; I never found out the reasons why this very important functionality was removed);

- colour scheme that indicates statuses of links and packages (was replaced by an icon that disappears when the window is too small);

- when you click on a package at the bottom of the queue, the package contents are displayed (in later versions you need to scroll down);

- possibility to add non-working links to the download queue for later retrying (in current version you can do that by not checking the links, but that's cumbersome because you need to find and reset that setting first);

- when deleting links and/or packages, you get a confirmation dialogue mentioning the number of links AND packages;

- sound theme (I don't need it);

- some other download settings;

- etc.

In the board's archive you'll find many threads about the transition from 0.4. to 0.5. It has been the most busy period on this board and attracted many new 'surprised' and 'shocked' members. This transition was the main reason why I became a regular contributor of this board as I was one of them.

I was astonished that so much functionality and usability was sacrificed for no particular reason. If the reason would have been 'restructuring' or refactoring of the code then this should have enhanced the possibilities of these functions. Instead of enhancing them they were totally removed.

Gradually and slowly however, jD 0.4's functionality and usability came back, but as you can see, after one year the work still isn't finished.

Note that jD 0.9 has much more functionality and supports many more host plug-ins than jD 0.4., but I don't necessarily need all those new functions. That's one of the reasons why I use Notepad++ and not Open Office for typing texts.

My conclusion and suggestion is that jD should have developed 2 versions, one small and cute version that would simply download files from the most important hosts (I don't need any of the current add-ons and most of the host plug-ins) and one bloated version with all the whistles and bells (current version?) for those who have lots of RAM memory and CPU power. I think it's still possible if jD's architecture allows it of course.