View Single Post
Old 28.03.2017, 05:13
BloodyRain2k

Default Why are download URLs hidden?

This is something that I've never understood since I've started using JDL long ago: why is there absolutely no way of retrieving a download's url from the queue list?

If you press ctrl+c on it it only seems to give you the same as "Open in Browser" does which is just the first result of "Show Download URLs" which is misleading because it doesn't actually show the download's urls but from where it was fetched.

I can't find anything in the menu manager either nor is there anything in the properties panel, well aside of that "Copy Information" thing which's url, big surprise, is just again the source url just like the aboves.
JDL absolutely keeps the url to itself alone until it starts the download. Why? ._.

And since the obvious question would be now why'd I need that in the first place is simply answered: in very rare cases JDL just couldn't manage to actually download the file one way or another and I had to do it manually with the browser.
Granted this is a rare case but if I now have 100 files which were batch grabbed from a blog search page then I currently have to go back to that page, because I can't simply copy that one file's url that's failing, and find it in that long mess again and go from there manually to it.

Another use for this would be something I had a bit ago: proxy whitelisting.
Hovering over the host icon gives you one url, in my case it was "uploaded.to".
But guess what? The actual download ran through "uploaded.net" and was therefore not caught by the whitelisting because it was not set to that which in turn was because I didn't even know it would end up being that since I can't see the url >.<
Only way I found it out at all was hovering over an icon that caught my interest and happened to tell me the actual download's host url which ended up being "somethingsomething.downloaded.net".

So yeah, I see no upside to hiding these urls like they contain unencrypted login information...
Could the properties panel get a new entry which would show you the download's url that was the result of the fetching?