JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Old 12.03.2010, 22:20
sludge

Default jDownloader uninstall went too far

jDownloader's uninstallation routine should only delete files that it is SUPPOSE TO DELETE. I was planning on moving the installation folder but decided a fresh install would be nice, so I ran the uninstall and it deleted all of my downloaded files which was in the program installation directory resulting in at least 10 gb of data loss.

Ran Pandora Recovery in an attempt to salvage what jDownloader had butchered, but no luck. The installation folder showed but the files that were suppose to be there wasn't found. I need to find a better recovery tool.

Last edited by Jiaz; 16.03.2010 at 20:10.
Old 12.03.2010, 22:28
JD English Support (inactive)

BUGTRACKER

Please change your download directory for the future.
Settings - Basics - Download & Connections - General - "Download Directory"
Set it to something like C:\downloads

Last edited by drbits; 12.03.2010 at 22:36.
Old 13.03.2010, 07:48
sludge

:huh:
Obviously, I wasn't going to allow the installer to mangle my files again. I opted to download the package that didn't have an installer included. Minor but potentially devastating problem.

This is the first time I have come across an 'uninstall' that removed files that were not program related without prior confirmation from the user. I managed to recover 1gb.. Now in the process of re-downloading the rest of it. What a setback.:outch:

Thanks for adding it to the bugtracker.

Last edited by sludge; 13.03.2010 at 07:55.
Old 13.03.2010, 11:41
remi

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sludge View Post
This is the first time I have come across an 'uninstall' that removed files that were not program related without prior confirmation from the user.
I can feel your pain and you're perfectly right about that (it should be considered a serious bug), but I've to admit that I always take all precautions imaginable (backups, uzw.) when un-installing a program.

I don't know what your OS is but in Vista and W7 jD can't be installed in the regular program files folder path.
Under Windoze settings are usually stored in the Documents and Settings folder path. This isn't true for jD. If you want to move your settings from one version or instance of jD to another you need to clear your Download queue, because otherwise you also move the links.

This is all weird, but one of the developers said that the advantage of this approach is the 'portability' of jD.

Last edited by remi; 13.03.2010 at 11:47.
Old 13.03.2010, 14:21
JD Manager

yes will talk to the one who made the installer that the download folder will be excluded
Old 13.03.2010, 15:29
JD Legend

Try "Restorer2000" - I always had great results with that piece of software. But don't ask me where to get it, when you don't want to buy it

-------------------------------------------

Besucht meinen Entwicklerblog: mike-bonn.de
Old 13.03.2010, 20:58

It is probably too late to recover your files now if you have been using the computer. However, for next time, "Recuva" does a good job, and an excellent job in Deep Scan mode (reads the whole disk). Recuva at piriform.com; the same company that makes CCleaner. They do not charge for their products, but request donations. (not an advertisement, but I have used their products without problems).

Last edited by drbits; 13.03.2010 at 21:02.
Old 14.03.2010, 11:32
remi

As long as there is space left on a disk an OS shouldn't write in those places where files have been deleted recently. It should always reuse the old places first.
Old 14.03.2010, 14:13

Sorry remi, I do not know of an OS that actually does that. There is a daemon for *n*x that cleans up the directories and I-node table. It can be set to maintain a specific number of disk clusters free (oldest first). This is close to what you suggest. It is normally set as a low priority process that compacts directories, clears I-Nodes, and sometimes clears clusters on secure systems.

Under Windows, 12% of the disk space is normally reserved for the recycle bin (if the system is low on space, it will shrink the recycle bin). One of the major criticisms (in 1994) of Windows 95 and Windows NT 3.51 was that programs did not normally use the recycle bin and the maximum size should be 50%.

A few programs use the recycler API calls instead of file deletion. I have already asked that JD become one of them.

Normally, Windows uses free disk space in a "first empty spot available" approach. This tends to scatter files, but it is simple. It was supposed to be "First fit with Roving pointer", but that has not worked properly.

As things stand, Windows 5.x and 6.x mark a flag in the directory entries that shows them as deleted (they still contain the name and I-Node number). When the reference count on the I-Node reaches 0, the I-Node is cleared and the disk clusters marked as available in the bitmap.

It would not be hard to write a service for Windows that created an extra hard-link for each file (so the I-node reference count is greater than 0), and releases the I-nodes as needed. It would have to leave about 3 seconds of disk write capacity free.

Currently, Windows partially defragments the disk every 3 days (if the timer hasn't been reset by a defragmenter). It puts the files used for booting and for frequently running programs (during the first minute or two after entering User Mode) at the beginning (outside) of the drive. This is the fastest and most rugged part of the drive. This defragmentation places the files it "moves out" in the biggest section of free space (silly).

So, generally the location of deleted files is the location the is overwritten first.
Old 15.03.2010, 12:09
remi

I must have been dreaming as it sounds so logical and simple. This feature should have existed from the first day OSs could write hard disks.

I can believe at M$ they didn't think about it, but it's very hard to believe no professional/serious OS has ever implemented this.
Old 16.03.2010, 13:07

There have been add-ons, such as a part of Norton Systemworks that creates a second recycle bin for files deleted by programs. Banks have multiple backups and "Journals" so that any transaction can be traced or reperformed in order to correct the data.

IBM and a few other companies have "Journaling" disk systems (MS is half way there). That provides some fault tolerance (and system restore). But, nobody seems to be thinking in terms of saving all files in SVN instead of just saving the files to disk. At least not for consumer devices.
Old 16.03.2010, 20:08
JD-Dev & board tech
JD Logo by artcore-illustrations.de

Hey sludge,

I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. The bug is now fixed and shouldn't appear on new installations anymore.