JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Go Back   JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH > English Support > Problems & Bug Reports

Old 26.06.2011, 10:48
fastbusy

Default error download process

MacOs X 10.5.8
Jdownloader 0.9.581
Java 5

I set default download folder on a external HD.
Jdownloader does not report an error when the external drive is not connected: it creates a "real folder" (placed in the invisible folder "root/Volumes") with the same name of hard drive and start downloading and writing the file into this.
"Volumes" is a System folder where SO create the alias of all hd (internal and external) connected at a given time. Only alias, not folder or file in it !
This error causes a second great problem when I connect the right HD: MacOS creates an alias of HD with a wrong name because there is already a folder with the same name !!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for my english.
Old 26.06.2011, 10:53
remi

What would you like jD to do? Should jD stop downloading when the disk with the download folder is no longer connected?
Old 26.06.2011, 11:23
fastbusy

JD should not create a wrong folder in a invisibile system location and download there. This is a wrong behaviour.
Old 26.06.2011, 11:30
remi

Cool

If jD can't access a download folder it just creates one and continues downloading.

With your approach it would just stop downloading.

Let's wait for other feedback on your proposal.
Old 26.06.2011, 11:38
fastbusy

right, JD should report an error if no right hd is connected because the folder created by JD conflict with system operation when right HD will be connected.
Old 26.06.2011, 12:42
English Supporter

Using Windows, we get: Aborted, can not write to [path].
?Maybe there is a setting in Mac to disable creating invisible folder.
Old 26.06.2011, 13:44
fastbusy

I think that JD manages the path of external volume (hard drive) in the wrong way.

For example:
In JD I select to download a file "x" into root level of external HD "pippo";
JD show the path: /Volumes/pippo/x;
/Volumes is a invisible system folder in my internal HD where MacOs write only alias of all volumes internal or external connected. "pippo" is only an alias, not a folder.
When HD "pippo" is connected JD works fine: file "x" is writed on external HD.
If HD "pippo" is not connected JD don't return an error but create a folder "pippo" in "/Volumes" (folder "pippo" is not invisible, but it is placed into invisible folder Volumes, so it is not visible).
When I reconnect external HD "pippo" MacOs create in /Volumes an alias with the wrong name "pippo 1" because there is the folder "pippo" created by JD.

JD read the download path and considers "pippo" like a folder, but for OS this should be only an alias of volume "pippo", not a real folder.

thx

PS: I'm only a normal user.
Old 27.06.2011, 08:33
remi

Cool

I vote for a generalisation of the approach for Mac OS. I've always admired this advanced OS and I'm almost sure it's the same in Linux. jD continues downloading even when there are problems with a disk that's not accessible.

As usual Windoze fails here as well.
Old 27.06.2011, 10:05
English Supporter

@fastbusy
I understand your issue. Might need Mac supporter's expertise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by remi View Post
I vote for a generalisation of the approach for Mac OS.
I don't understand this.
Old 27.06.2011, 10:32
remi

I think it's better that jD continues trying to download files no matter the little problems that might occur. This has been discussed lots of times and this is just another example. The customer can't always babysit the download process and jD should try whatever method to circumvent such small downloading problems.

This fall-back method for Mac OS and probably Linux as well belongs to these smart optimisations to continue the download process. Disabling a link because a download folder isn't accessible is less than optimal behaviour.

I can understand that some people might prefer jD to stop downloading, disabling links and put a green check mark on a package that hasn't been downloaded, but I don't like this.

An advanced setting might be a solution for those who want jD to stop being smart.