JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Notices

Old 11.02.2011, 19:23
WolfmanRobby

Default Setting per host bandwidth limits

I searched the terms Bandwidth limits per host and found nothing related to what I'm about to ask. (if I missed it, I appolgize. Feel free to lock this thread and send me a link to the thread that deals with it.)

I see in the settings we can set the global bandwidth limit. This is something I have to do. While my connection is much faster, I have to limit my bandwidth usage for JDownloader to 300KB/s or risk being shut off for "Abusing" my network connection.

Anyway, this global setting is great. But, let's say I'm downloading from Oron at 100KB/s. Then, I start a second download from Fileserve. (Actually this happens with Fileserve, Hotfile, Megaupload, HHTP links and a few other hosts that have GREAT connection speeds. I just picked Fileserve as an example.) The new download gets a great connection from it's host, runs up to the full 300KB/s of my global setting and the Oron download fails with the "No permission to write to hard disk" error. This isn't lmited to Oron. It happens with many other, slower hosts like DepositFiles, Filesonic, uploaded to.

Is there a way to set bandwidth limits or gurantee's per host?
Or even a more generic setting that says if you have 2 max downloads configured, no host can take more than "X%" of the bandwidth?

I've tried the "Priortiy" settings but those seem to control the order that the downloads kick in and not the bandwith priority. Perhaps that would be the area to tweak the settings. A download with HIGH priority gets priority over the bandwith and something with Low priority can't use bandwidth used by a high priority download.

Other than that, I just have to keep a list of the "Bully" hosts and the "Wimpy" hosts and try not to run a download from anything on the "Bully" list while downloading from the "wimpy" hosts. However, I can run multiple downloads from 2 or 3 of the "Wimpy" hosts at one time.

Thanks for a great program.
Rob

EDIT - I forgot to add that I'm running JD version 0.9.581 - but this has been the case for the last year+ I've used JDownloader. SO, it's not a version related issue.
Also, I've seen this behavior on Ubuntu Linux (9.04/x86), Windows XP (32 bit) and Windows 7 (64 bit)

Last edited by WolfmanRobby; 11.02.2011 at 21:35.
Old 11.02.2011, 22:09
JD English Support (inactive)

This problem is already in the Bugtracker. There should be some improvement in the next major release (better distribution of bandwidth).

The new Feature Request in the Bugtracker is to add Speed Limits to Hosts and to links. If the bandwidth distribution is fixed, this might not be implemented.
Old 11.02.2011, 22:13
WolfmanRobby

Good to know.
Is that something I missed on the search? I didn't see anything about a "bugtracker" list anywhere.

Thanks!
Rob
Old 11.02.2011, 22:29
BearCan

a possible work around is to set JD to IDLE in the task manager. this will make the OS release JD more often to service other tasks such as disk write.
Old 11.02.2011, 22:36
WolfmanRobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearCan View Post
a possible work around is to set JD to IDLE in the task manager. this will make the OS release JD more often to service other tasks such as disk write.
This has nothing to do with the problem.
The "No permission to write to hard disk" message is misleading. It comes up when you have connectivity issues. And, in this case, 2 different downloads are fighting for the bandwidth and one bullies the other out.

This would happen no matter if the app was Idle, or low priority, or high priority in Task manager.

Rob
Old 12.02.2011, 12:12
JD Manager

provide a logfile
timeouts should never happen on normal usage (of course there is no sense in using 100 downloads on a 1mbit line or so )
the log shows the cause of your connection issues.
limiting one bandwith of hoster is not needed.
Old 12.02.2011, 12:13
JD Manager

ah, now i see in your other post that your isp reset the connection. that indeed can be a problem and for that not to happen you might need to limit speed globally or (in future per host). that is right
Old 12.02.2011, 12:18
remi

Cool

@WolfmanRobby

If you're running searches with the website's search engine, chances are that you won't find what you're looking for.

Please, read Speed limit for individual downloads? You'll find the relevant bugtracker items and a solution (post #3) to your problem.
Old 12.02.2011, 12:22
remi

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfmanRobby View Post
While my connection is much faster, I have to limit my bandwidth usage for JDownloader to 300KB/s or risk being shut off for "Abusing" my network connection.
I wonder whether this is legal in your jurisdiction or did you sign a contract that states that you aren't allowed to use the bandwidth that you're paying for?
Old 12.02.2011, 19:30
WolfmanRobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
ah, now i see in your other post that your isp reset the connection. that indeed can be a problem and for that not to happen you might need to limit speed globally or (in future per host). that is right
No, this is NOT related to what I posted in the other thread. As long as a keep the speed below 300KB/s, the ISP is not resetting.

In fact, the connection NEVER goes down when this happens. Please re-read my post above.
The "Bully" host download takes over the whole bandwidth, taking away from other hosts. The bully download keeps on going, using the full 300KB/s until it's done.

There is no need for a log file as DRBITS posted this is a known bug and they are working on it.
Old 12.02.2011, 19:34
WolfmanRobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by remi View Post
I wonder whether this is legal in your jurisdiction or did you sign a contract that states that you aren't allowed to use the bandwidth that you're paying for?
Yes, it's legal. No one reads the fine print in your ISP's Terms of service. Like how some ISP's will now limit your connection, charge you a fee, or just cut you off if you download more than 50GB in a month. (I think it's Comcast that does that)

As for the search... no, I did not use a search engine or my browsers search. I may be new here, but I've been participating in forums since 2003. I used the little SEARCH link up in the tool bar. Told it to search ALL forums for the words I listed in the first post.
Old 12.02.2011, 20:33
JD Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfmanRobby View Post
There is no need for a log file as DRBITS posted this is a known bug and they are working on it.
I'm sorry to tell but this is no bug. no download can completely stop the download of another hoster. tcp will make this sure. if that happens then your isp is causing this.
i can easily download 100mbyte/s and a 1 byte/s steam in parallel
the timeout happens if jd does not receive a single byte in over 2 minutes. if that happens then something went very wrong (firewall,av,isp).

in all my teamviewer support i saw a lot of isp doing exactly what i describe. throttling/killing connectinos if there are too many/too fast ones.
Old 12.02.2011, 20:44
WolfmanRobby

It is a known issue, see the thread Remi linked to.

When the "Bully" download starts, it's bandwidth creeps up and takes over.
Let me try to paint a picture. I have to limit to 300KB/s for total bandwidth.
I have a download from say ORON running using 100KB/s.
I start a second download, this time from say, FILESERVE. It starts off at 150KB/s.
Then, after about 15 seconds, it creeps up to 200 KB/s... not an issue as I'm still below 300KB/s total.
Then, another 15 seconds pass, and the FILESERVE download is at 250KB/s, leaving only 50KB's for the ORON.
A few seconds later, it's then 295KB/s to 5KB/s.
Then, the FILESERVE download load is pegging the full 300KB/s, and the ORON has changed to "Connecting."
After another few seconds, the ORON download stops all together, disables itself, and reports no permission to write to hard disk.

Again, I only used ORON and FILESERVE as examples. I've even seen it go the other way, where an ORON download took over the full 300KB/s, and bullied out another host.

THIS PROBLEM IS NOT RELATED TO MY ISP!!!! that comment in another thread was not related to this. When this happens, my ISP does not reset my connection, my internet connection DOES NOT drop. The download that took over all of the bandwidth keeps right on going until it finishes. Be it 3 minutes or 3 hours. PLEASE, separate what I posted trying to help someone in another thread from this. THEY ARE NOT RELATED!

I will repeat, in this case, MY CONNECTION never drops, my ISP never resets it. Just ONE download takes over the full bandwidth allocated in JDownloader until it's finished.
Old 12.02.2011, 20:52
JD Manager

im sorry. tcp will make sure that such a situation will not happen.
i cannot recreate your situation but willing to run some tests via teamviewer.
even if your internet connection limit is reached. speed is always (in best) parted on the running downloads. of course some can be faster/slower, but it should never happen that one download eats all bandwidth on its own.
i know that limit per host can reduce issues in your case, but its a workaround and no solution.

you connection does not need to drop or reset. the single fact that only one download is running and the other is not.

i saw that several times via teamviewer and could reproduce this, while its working for other ppl super fine.
Old 12.02.2011, 20:58
JD Manager

ah, btw...dont think i dont want to help or try to make it look like jd is not to blame.

i just say that such thing (what you tell) MUST NOT happen with normal tcp and normal internet connection. its job of tcp congestion control to make sure that such thing does not happen and also knowing that a timeout happens after 2 minutes without a single transfered byte shows that its more than just *limiting one hoster*.
even 1 byte /2 minute would be enough not to cause a timeout. im very sure that somehow its your isp cuasing this.
Old 12.02.2011, 20:59
WolfmanRobby

Well, as a Network Admin, I know a good bit about TCP. I can tell you that, if I take my laptop to work, plug it into our 20MB Fiber Internet connection, and leave the 300KB/s limit set in JDownloader, the SAME THING happens. I can log into my Cisco firewall with it's ASDM manager software and bring up a line graph of the internet connection and see that I'm not even using more than about 2MB of the 20MB connection (That's all computers on the network combined).

But, if I then push the limits in JDownloader up to say, 2,500KB's and restart it, then the bully download will run up to 300-400KB/s, and not cause the other host to lose bandwidth. And, I see the bandwidth on the firewall go up, sometimes to 5, 6 or even 7 MB.

With them running just fine like that, I can bring the bandwidth limit in JDownloader back down to 300KB/s and the problem starts again.

So, the problem is NOT an ISP, or TCP problem. It's how JDownloader allocates the bandwidth you allow it.
Old 12.02.2011, 21:04
WolfmanRobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
im very sure that somehow its your isp cuasing this.
I can tell you 100 percent, beyond a SHADOW of a doubt, IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ISP!!!!!

I use an AT&T DSL line at home, a 20MB Metro-ethernet connection at work (that I'm the Network Admin and manage the firewall on), I've tried it on Charter Cable internet at a friends house, and I've been able to replicate it on my Fiance's Brighthouse Cable internet connection.

The problem ONLY HAPPENS when you push the bandwidth limit in JDdownloader down. The problem IS IN JDdownloader and how it allocates the bandwidth.

I can do this. I can even replicate the problem while watching a streaming movie on netflix that NEVER hiccups. So, no, the INTERNET connection never gets interrupted.
Old 12.02.2011, 21:05
JD Manager

are you running nightly or stable?
if stable , please try nightly cause it uses a complete different bandwith limiter
the stable uses very old/bad designed one.

i thought i read you were using the nightly but i guess i was wrong about that, so please try that out
Old 12.02.2011, 21:07
WolfmanRobby

I'm running the official build posted on the main download page and let it pull updates when you post them. I assume that means I'm on the stable build.

Here's what I put in my first post..

EDIT - I forgot to add that I'm running JD version 0.9.581 - but this has been the case for the last year+ I've used JDownloader. SO, it's not a version related issue.
Also, I've seen this behavior on Ubuntu Linux (9.04/x86), Windows XP (32 bit) and Windows 7 (64 bit)
Old 12.02.2011, 21:16
JD Manager

please try out the nightly
http://board.jdownloader.org/forumdisplay.php?f=38
Old 12.02.2011, 21:22
WolfmanRobby

I'm sorry, but I am weary of BETA testing software. I've been burned too many times.

I would rather wait for you to update the STABLE build with the new bandwidth limiter that you are using in the nightly build. After all, that was the point of posting this in the "Suggestions and Wishes" forum and not as a general bug report.

I also find it interesting that you were so set that it was NOT a bug. But, after I showed you I knew what I was talking about, you admit, that the software uses an OUTDATED bandwidth manager.
Old 12.02.2011, 22:32
JD Manager

i just thought you were using the nightly and wondered. then find out you are using the stable so i suggested to use the nightly

the nightly is the current developer version and it still will take some time before we release next stable. so i suggest to install nightly into its own folder and use/try that.

please test it and report back.
Old 12.02.2011, 22:55
WolfmanRobby

As I said, I don't trust unstable/beta software and I will wait for the stable build to get updated.

Regardless of the specific issue I'm having, I still think that the ability to set bandwidth limits/priority per host is a good feature.

Lets say you have 2 files to download from 2 different hosts. One of them is more important than the other. With the current setup, you have to just download the important one, then the other. With this option, you would be able to download them both, at the same time, but give the more important one say 75% of the available bandwidth.
Old 13.02.2011, 00:11
JD Manager

the feature is on todo list