JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Old 30.09.2010, 10:55
JD English Support (inactive)

@ddd,

Please explain your problem in detail. Your JDownloader graphs (green) look normal. Your router might be buffering and causing the peaks.
Old 30.09.2010, 22:04
ddd

ok

so, the problem is that the download rates of rapidshare (free) downloads are incorrect.
the displayed dl rate is >600kB while the actual dl rate is about 30kB.

it looks to me like RS sends some packages, then pauses for 5-10 seconds and starts sending some packages...
Old 30.09.2010, 22:35
JD VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddd View Post
ok

so, the problem is that the download rates of rapidshare (free) downloads are incorrect.
the displayed dl rate is >600kB while the actual dl rate is about 30kB.

it looks to me like RS sends some packages, then pauses for 5-10 seconds and starts sending some packages...
wow this topic is all over the place from AV to RS :lol

As mentioned elsewhere on the board RS is a funny beast to begin with.

The monitoring of the true DL speeds internally inside JD or any other app at times is dependent on many factors and much of that is factors outside is more of a technical funny beast.....
The realm of the monitoring app itself.

For example RS itself when grabbing a host server for dl on the web side it allows for one to many options of servers available to dl from. Thats what the circle + type sign is for on the web page so that if one wants they could chose a different server to dl from. The web site used to try to auto select the one with less traffic on it for less intervention from the user but, with their changes now it does not always auto select the best one. On the JD side the user is not shown the same options as the web browser shows so I believe JD uses the default one from the web connection.
Now once the selected server is actually selected and started (this is also true from the Web interface) the other factors come into play such as routing across the network from their server to your local machine. This is where many connections tend to bounce. If one is lucky there is relatively very little loss of signal between the connections and one will have a very smooth connection. Often though it is not the case and as the routing may be going through as many at times as 32 different routes to get from them to you there may be some really choppy connectivity. which shows the monitor a real choppy time delay connection.
Most RS free user dl's are set for auto grabbing and setting dl speeds from RS to 120kb/s but routing problems can hamper that very easily.

Now with all that being said the actual monitor itself is usually not set to properly maintain the updates either as if they where your computer monitoring would be set for true live reporting which would tie up a tremendous amount of ones computer resources in just trying to grab and update the results to ones screen.

I would say for what your seeing though is more of the routing and selection of the dl server from RS not much to do with any AV software unless you have not set it to ignore files being downloaded to your selected directory for virus checking. In this type of scenario I personally recommend setting up AV to ignore the DL directory altogether and before trying to click on anything within that DL directory, either select the individual file or the whole directory and have the AV software then run a scan on the selected file or directory contents.

Last edited by Statter; 30.09.2010 at 22:37.
Old 01.10.2010, 11:34
remi

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddd View Post
That's exactly what's happening. RS is using this technique in order to slow down the downloads for freeloaders.
Old 02.10.2010, 00:37

JD reports the bytes it processes and saves (does not include headers, resends, acknowledgements, and other overhead).

When JD is busy (or the OS is not giving it the processor for a while), the received packets are buffered. This prevents loss of packets for JD (most programs can only buffer 4-5 packets, by default JD buffers that plus up to 500KiB if the OS cooperates).

Between the inconsistency of response time from hosts and the competition for the CPU, disk, and network with other programs, the displayed download speed can be very uneven. JD does some averaging to smooth things out.

A lot of programs report total bytes downloaded to the program as reported by the OS and averaged over a much longer period of time. This means that all of the overhead is counted, not just processed bytes. That is why I recommend speedtest.com, it reports based on the time to send a specific sized file (it sends a small file to detect your approximate bandwidth and then sends an appropriate sized file to more accurately test your bandwidth).
Old 19.11.2010, 04:59
maniyac

Same problem here!
ONLY RapidShare goes slow and with 10-15sec pauses. And that is only happening with jD, browser and other downloader programs work fine and normal speed with RapidShare...
Please help.

M
Old 19.11.2010, 08:24

@ maniyac,

Read the post before yours. JD does not have a problem. RS has a quirky way of downloading and JD reports it accurately.
Old 19.11.2010, 20:21
maniyac

@drbits

As I said, "browser and other downloader programs work fine and normal speed with RapidShare..." so, the problem isn't only with RS... it is combination RS+jD.
Every other combination works just fine... Read my previous post.

M
Old 19.11.2010, 21:50
fma16

@maniyac
Ad Drbits say, it's because JD is more precise than other download managers and browsers. Please read the entire thread.
Old 19.11.2010, 23:15
maniyac

Oh man...

I've read it, and as I said, REAL time that takes to download file from RapidShare is MUCH slower when downloading it with jD, then with ANY other download program or browser!

So, same file, same hoster, same day, same minute: jD = slow, others = normal speed (and that is REAL download speed and time took to complete file).

M
Old 20.11.2010, 14:03
remi

Cool

Click on the link in post #4 and read that post (again). If you're still not convinced of what you read, please continue reading.

I like people with a sceptical mind. Usually these people have a scientific background. They don't believe something until it's scientifically proven by conducting experiments and collecting a statistically significant number of observations.

Would it be possible to compare jD with any other download tool of your choice using the scientific method?

I suppose you don't have a premium account for RS, because that would not show such download behaviour. That means you can't start the same RS downloads in both tools at the same time. We can compensate for this by alternating downloads between both tools.

I recommend using some small files, let's say 5MB, 10 MB, 20MB, and 50MB. That will reduce waiting time between downloads.

Then take note of the start times and the finish times of the downloads in both tools and for all your files.

Publish all your results and potential changes to your method. This will allow other people to check and reproduce your experiment and refute or confirm your theory.
Old 20.11.2010, 18:39
maniyac

Let's not go all philosophical now...

RapidShare, jD, 100MB file, 4Mbps connection = pauses every few moments for 10-15 sec, looong time to finish.

RapidShare, ANY other download method, (same) 100MB file, (same) 4Mbps connection = finishes in under 5min!!!

That's ANY time, ANY day, ANY computer...

M
Old 21.11.2010, 13:33
remi

Cool

What's philosophical about my proposal?

I understand that you don't have a scientific background and you have no idea about what is statistically relevant.

Let's wait for someone who wants to start this experiment and avoid all philosophy.
Old 21.11.2010, 19:16
maniyac

I already did that, you don't need to wait for anybody.

RS, jD - ALWAYS, ANYTIME, over 30mins and MORE.
RS, others - under 5mins!

That only statistics you need.
jD+RS = 0% fast downloads;
others+RS = 100% under 5mins downloads;

If you would like, I can make a table for you, so it goes all scientific 'n' serious. XD

M
Old 22.11.2010, 12:42
remi

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniyac View Post
If you would like, I can make a table for you, so it goes all scientific 'n' serious. XD
Yes, exactly. That would make it scientific and verifiable by others.

In order to have scientific value, the experiment must be reproducible by others. Therefore, describe all the software you're running simultaneously with jD, because some virus/firewall software might be blocking jD.
Old 22.11.2010, 19:38
maniyac

jD is working just fine! No other software is blocking it... no problems there.
jD isn't working ONLY with RS.