JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Notices

Old 28.02.2018, 21:15
sfsquire

Default JD logs,cfg,archives explanation

Anonimity and privacy are serious concerns to me.

Jownloader is saving records of all my links and download activity in several different places on my computer; including log files and zip files. Perhaps also in other areas, as I have not found clear information on what information they are logging and where they are storing it.

Why would any one want this and how do I keep it from happening?

I'd also like to know where all my download information files they are leaving trails of on my computer are located so I can remove them.
Old 28.02.2018, 21:52
JD Manager

JDownloader stores everything within your JDownloader folder.

logs folder:
on each startup JDownloader creates new session folder
JDownloader auto removes older ones, see Settings-Advanced Settings-Log.maxlogfiles
you can disables logs completely by setting Settings-Advanced Settings-Log.maxlogfilesize to 0

cfg folder contains all settings,lists..:
-downloadList zips(backups) contains your current(previous) download list.
-linkcollector zips(backups) contains your current(previous) linkcollector list.
Lists are stored with CopyOnWrite, that means that current state is stored in new file and older ones are cleaned up (Settings-Advanced Settings-GeneralSettings.keepxoldlists)

-archives folder contains archive specific information(extraction password, location, content). this information is not yet cleaned up because of this ticket . once this internal change is done, the archive information will be saved within downloadlist/linkcollector zips

Last edited by Jiaz; 28.02.2018 at 21:55.
Old 28.02.2018, 21:54
JD Manager

Please don't hesitate and feel free to ask if you have further questions about this.
Old 02.03.2018, 17:48
sfsquire

Default Not-Solved JD logs,cfg,archives

Is there a way to totally disable the saving of zip logs in the cfg. I do not even want the last record logged - no less a histroy (which it seems I have now.)

Regarding the archive logs- this too I want to totally disable.

Why is JD saving this information? That is what I don't understand.

Users go to a lot of trouble for annonimty and privacy - then JD stores your download history in multiple ways, in several obscure locations on your computer.

That is a disaster.
Old 02.03.2018, 18:00
JD Manager

You can change GeneralSettings.keepxoldlists but be aware that this might lead to loss of your lists when your current list gets corrupted or in case of power failure JDownloader/OS was unable to store the file error free.

Archive Information-> Please wait for the ticket to be solved. You can safely clear this folder with empty list. The archive folder contains the archive settings. You have an archive in list and wants it to extract/not extract/change folder/... JDownloader must save this information somewhere. and this somewhere is currently inside the archive folder and not yet within your linklist information(zips). That's what the linked ticket is about.

Also those are not obscure locations. Everything is stored within your JDownloader folder and you can disable logs/reduce number of backups of your lists and the archive folder will be gone once the ticket is done.
Old 02.03.2018, 18:03
JD Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsquire View Post
Is there a way to totally disable the saving of zip logs in the cfg.
Those zips contain are your current lists in JDownloader. So you always want to have an empty list on each restart of JDownloader?
Old 02.03.2018, 18:04
JD Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsquire View Post
no less a histroy (which it seems I have now.)
It's not a history, it's normal CopyOnWrite and keep the last x states to avoid data loss. And as already explained, you can easily reduce this to keep only 1 file with your current list.
Old 20.08.2019, 19:48
Ultra Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
JDownloader stores everything within your JDownloader folder.

logs folder:
on each startup JDownloader creates new session folder
JDownloader auto removes older ones, see Settings-Advanced Settings-Log.maxlogfiles
you can disables logs completely by setting Settings-Advanced Settings-Log.maxlogfilesize to 0

cfg folder contains all settings,lists..:
-downloadList zips(backups) contains your current(previous) download list.
-linkcollector zips(backups) contains your current(previous) linkcollector list.
Lists are stored with CopyOnWrite, that means that current state is stored in new file and older ones are cleaned up (Settings-Advanced Settings-GeneralSettings.keepxoldlists)

-archives folder contains archive specific information(extraction password, location, content). this information is not yet cleaned up because of this ticket . once this internal change is done, the archive information will be saved within downloadlist/linkcollector zips
I'm making a backup of jd and many info are about these old archive records (watching the folder I have file from y:2013)
can I clean up safely?
Old 22.08.2019, 19:56
JD Manager

@Bazzu85: Yes, you can cleanup/empty the complete archive folder safely in case you don't have any archives in list. If you do, the worst that may happen that you loose customized *extract to* settings that you set via rightclick context menu.