JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH
 

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 31.05.2020, 01:13
Maelcum Maelcum is offline
Tornado
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 247
Default

Hi pspzockerscene,

Can't see the image, unfortunately...

Cheers,
M
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 31.05.2020, 01:43
Maelcum Maelcum is offline
Tornado
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 247
Default

Hi Jiaz,

Quote:
Not every offline link goes to offline package due to plugins that might be involved during crawling or packagizer rules that might have matched during crawling process
I think offline links should go to the Offline package no matter how complicated sequence of tasks required to manage them.
I don't see any use case that would required doing otherwise, but I might miss something.

Is there any reason to not to put offline links to Offline package?

Cheers,
M
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 31.05.2020, 02:25
raztoki's Avatar
raztoki raztoki is offline
English Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 17,108
Default

yes, as stated above it can be caused for many reasons; but the primary one would be caused due to package been created either by plugin or user which has a ID.

An advanced setting for using a offline package exists ( I personally do not like offline package, one of the reasons there is a setting. ).

LinkgrabberSettings.offlinepackageenabled = If true, Offline Links, that do not fit in a existing package, will be moved to a offline package;

Hope that helps explain why.
__________________
raztoki @ jDownloader reporter/developer
http://svn.jdownloader.org/users/170

Don't fight the system, use it to your advantage. :]

Last edited by raztoki; 31.05.2020 at 02:28.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 31.05.2020, 17:51
Maelcum Maelcum is offline
Tornado
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 247
Default

Hi Raztoki,

It seems to be a fundamentally broken logic to me.

Right now I can easily end up with a bunch of broken links scattered around in active packages, which will introduce another step when I want to start downloading them (or cleanup the links, which is just another avoidable step).

What are the benefit of putting broken links into active packages, anyway?

I think it would be a much cleaner solution:

offlinepackageenabled == True --> move all offline links to Offline Package

offlinepackageenabled == False --> if the broken links have live mirrors, then put the broken links into the corresponding package, otherwise they should go straight to Offline package.

Cheers,
M
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01.06.2020, 04:54
raztoki's Avatar
raztoki raztoki is offline
English Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 17,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelcum View Post
Hi Raztoki,

It seems to be a fundamentally broken logic to me.
not everyone thinks the same or wants the same outcome. My needs are different from yours, for example I come from developers perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelcum View Post
Right now I can easily end up with a bunch of broken links scattered around in active packages, which will introduce another step when I want to start downloading them (or cleanup the links, which is just another avoidable step).
cleanup of offline links automatically performed task, so I totally disagree with 'another step', or 'avoidable step'.

offline links in package are not the end of the world situation, they cause no harm when adding them to the download tab as they don't get used. Though does use more resources. (who cares factor)
or
You can also use the quick side panel to deselect offline prior to adding. (does require effort)
or
if you rather not add them you can do this with the add to download queue stage it auto strips them! Either remember setting or you can customise your own functions in menu editor. This is done without any effort! (automatic and with zero effort).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelcum View Post
What are the benefit of putting broken links into active packages, anyway?
If you have a series of links you want to check to see that they are all online and there you can do so without having to scroll to find item.

Most importantly when adding multiple links which downloadlinks goto multiple packages and then all the offline goes offline you wouldn't know which mirrors are missing and where without going to the offline package then looking and download from column and that would have to be set to source url == many additional steps. The more offline items you have the harder it is to track, you be scrolling up and down over and over. Even more complicated the larger your linkgrabber list is, and the position of the offline package relative to your comparison package.

It also means when there are false positives say due to plugin error (website changes which creates plugin error which returns offline status 99% time, or the 1% time where programmer make error) it allows you to fix the issue (developer) or wait until fixed (end user) and recheck links without having to readd/find them.

A reason for keeping it in the package, in linkgrabber and into download tab could be: all the original online mirrors are removed from respective service, yet some of the original offline links are false positive due plugin error, which is now fixed, you now have a mirror that works. You can continue to download =].
__________________
raztoki @ jDownloader reporter/developer
http://svn.jdownloader.org/users/170

Don't fight the system, use it to your advantage. :]
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01.06.2020, 23:37
Maelcum Maelcum is offline
Tornado
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 247
Default

Hi Raztoki,

Quote:
not everyone thinks the same or wants the same outcome.
I think jDownloader is being a download manager narrows down the outcome pretty much, I bet 95% of the use cases is about download from the net :-)

I'm also a developer but we're talking about end user experience here.

Quote:
cleanup of offline links automatically performed task, so I totally disagree with 'another step', or 'avoidable step'.
When is this happening?
In my experience, I do have packages with offline links from time to time, and they are not cleaned up automatically, so when I start to download a package with offline links I got a warning dialog about offline links.
So, jDownloader introduces an extra dialog here (which could be avoidable if all offline link go to Offline package).

Quote:
offline links in package are not the end of the world situation, they cause no harm when adding them to the download tab as they don't get used.
That's not entirely true. If you have broken links in your package when you start the download, it will add a bunch of error flags in the status in the Download tab, so you have to check whether it's a broken link, an outdated plugin or something else.

Quote:
Though does use more resources. (who cares factor)
As a developer I can't agree with this sort of mentality, sorry.

Quote:
You can also use the quick side panel to deselect offline prior to adding. (does require effort)
Yes, but the broken links still in the queue, they're just not visible. If somebody keeps the setting unchecking, jDownloader can populate a massive set of offline links in many packages, which is most likely an undesired side effect.

Quote:
Either remember setting or you can customise your own functions in menu editor.
This was very helpful, thanks!
Took me a minute to figure out but it definitely helps.
This should be the default settings, IMHO.

Cheers,
M

Last edited by Maelcum; 02.06.2020 at 03:58.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02.06.2020, 08:08
raztoki's Avatar
raztoki raztoki is offline
English Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 17,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelcum View Post
Hi Raztoki,


I think jDownloader is being a download manager narrows down the outcome pretty much, I bet 95% of the use cases is about download from the net :-)

I'm also a developer but we're talking about end user experience here.
totally agree, most of our features are for the end users. Default settings are selected from that perspective, as its the majority of the user base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelcum View Post
When is this happening?
In my experience, I do have packages with offline links from time to time, and they are not cleaned up automatically, so when I start to download a package with offline links I got a warning dialog about offline links.
So, jDownloader introduces an extra dialog here (which could be avoidable if all offline link go to Offline package).
When? depends on your settings, and how you add links. For me it auto removes them when I add a package to download tab under all circumstances.

the offline dialog, should be a ask what todo (with a remember option? not sure). It indicates that within the menu editor/advanced setting

advanced settings > filter: offline
LinkgrabberSettings.autoconfirmmanagerhandleoffline
LinkgrabberSettings.defaultonaddedofflinelinksaction
LinkgrabberSettings.handleofflineonconfirmlatestselection


Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelcum View Post
That's not entirely true. If you have broken links in your package when you start the download, it will add a bunch of error flags in the status in the Download tab, so you have to check whether it's a broken link, an outdated plugin or something else.
plugin defect is different yes, its linkstatus plugin defect exception vs availablestatus.true. I did use that case as 'offline' in my previous broken plugin example.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelcum View Post
As a developer I can't agree with this sort of mentality, sorry.
"who cares factor" was just a easy way I'd quickly broke down some of the user groups. I'm sure those users have there reasons for doing the things they do. Maybe for the reason I gave previously.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelcum View Post
Yes, but the broken links still in the queue, they're just not visible. If somebody keeps the setting unchecking, jDownloader can populate a massive set of offline links in many packages, which is most likely an undesired side effect.
sure, but thats the entire scope of the feature. One wouldn't use that feature unless they wanted that behaviour.

Yes I didn't include all the ways to cleanup, for example there are other ways to cleanup offline links on mass: like single click bottom bar button/right click context. .


Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelcum View Post
This was very helpful, thanks!
Took me a minute to figure out but it definitely helps.
This should be the default settings, IMHO.

Cheers,
M
Most welcome =]
__________________
raztoki @ jDownloader reporter/developer
http://svn.jdownloader.org/users/170

Don't fight the system, use it to your advantage. :]
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:38.
Provided By AppWork GmbH | Privacy | Imprint
Parts of the Design are used from Kirsch designed by Andrew & Austin
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.