JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Closed Thread

Old 31.12.2010, 12:07
remi

Please read my post #38 in this thread.
Old 28.01.2011, 09:45
Junior Loader

Very strange problem. I am right now running two Macs, both with Snow Leopard, neither with any third party anti-virus, neither with any modifications to the generic Mac security settings.

One machine fails to download with "no permissions" error, and the other can download the same file.

Here's a guess: in my case, this error seems to turn up when I've been downloading to an external drive on a Mac, or have the settings set to download to one.

On occasion, Jdownloader won't be able to find the volume that its supposed to download to, and will create another volume to hold what was intended to go to the external target.

Its after such a bit of confusion that I find the harddisk error message, and my interpretation of it is that JDownloader's has become unable to find the storage devices for some reason.
Old 28.01.2011, 11:20
JD Manager

its not jdownloader job to find storage devices
if you tell jd to download to /Volume/A
then it will always download to this path.
in case your external drive is mapped to B, jd will continue to download to A
its up to your os/you to mount the drive to the same place.
Old 28.01.2011, 11:46
VulcanTourist

deepsepia's scenario doesn't resemble mine. I'm not downloading the files to external or removable media, and never have; it's a secondary partition on the boot drive that never goes on vacation. I still now routinely get these errors, and the only cure seems to be to enable and/or reset the packages and then exit JD and restart it. As a pinch of salt over the shoulder I usually wait a few hours as well. BTW, based on an earlier comment about JRE compatibility, I downloaded and installed JRE 6u17, both 32- and 64-bit, so now I have those and JRE 6u18 and 6u22 as well. If the installation record left behind is any indication, those versions are coexisting, not replacing each other. I also continue seeing the problem regardless of either the number of connections or downloads allowed. I tinkered with the firewall and AV (cannot uninstall them), my broadband is stable and does not suffer from packet loss.

I think it's misleading to mark this matter as solved when even a minority still encounters the problem after some reasonable troubleshooting. What isn't reasonable is that laundry list of solutions in post #38. The one thing all those alleged fixes have in common is JD itself, meaning that JD needs to be altered, not the rest of the machine state. Post #38 is an analog to a person saying, "Hey, I don't have a problem, it's the rest of the world that's messed up."

Last edited by VulcanTourist; 28.01.2011 at 12:00.
Old 28.01.2011, 12:40
remi

Post #38 is still valid, although slightly outdated concerning the JRE updates. I added update 21, because I've never seen any problems with that version. The recommendations I gave in that post are still relevant to to error "[Aborted]: No permissions to write to harddisk ERROR" that many customers have experienced.

I hereby warn that update 18 is a bad JRE version. Even Jiaz agrees.

I also have multiple versions of the JRE on my computers and I've also had my share of issues with changing drives or download directories, but I've learned how to deal with them.

Note that your problem of changing download folders/partitions/disks has absolutely nothing to do with the subject of this thread, but I can understand the confusion when you aren't familiar with jD's behaviour.
Old 28.01.2011, 14:09
VulcanTourist

I uninstalled 6u18 and the other instances of Java and left just the 32-bit 6u17. I have one other Java app that I hope isn't adversely affected by the downgrade. I downloaded 6u21 for both platforms but didn't install them. I can't hold my breath like I once did, but we'll see. As I wrote this, JD had errored-out on yet another package but yet was happily downloading some older failed ones that I had reset, without even a restart.

Whoops, I spoke too soon: it got halfway through the download and then produced the same permissions error again. I've seen it grab as much as 98% of files and then fail with this error. Makes no sense!

P.S. Apparently JD was using the 64-bit 6u17, because when I started uninstalling that the process stopped and warned me that JD needed to be terminated; it didn't do that with 6u18 or 6u22. Windows also started hiding the tool tray icon again, as it apparently now identifies it differently now that just 6u17 x86 remains. It's running but in a holding pattern, so have to wait.

Last edited by VulcanTourist; 28.01.2011 at 14:19.
Old 05.02.2011, 18:17
VulcanTourist

A pattern has emerged that I didn't notice earlier: this error ONLY occurs when the host is uploading.com. I double-checked, and it has never happened with any other host. That seems to point to a problem specific to the plugin for that host.
Old 06.02.2011, 11:51
JD English Support (inactive)

Please try uninstalling Java 6u17 and re-installing it (only the 32 bit version).

This problem has only been seen in the following situations:
1) Installing JDownloader into "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)" on Vista or later (Exit JD. Create a "Progs" folder. Move the whole JDownloader folder to "Progs")
2) Somehow the permissions are messed up (for example, check the permissions on the plugin for uploading.com). Change the Windows Security permissions on the entire JDownloader directory to allow BUILTIN\USERS full access.
3) Your antivirus is getting in the way or dropping packets.

Now that you know the problem is only for uploading.com, we need you to post at least three links that work in a browser, but have an error in JDownloader. Post an Emergency Log (not a standard log) showing JDownloader trying to download the files.

This is such a strange problem that I would encourage you to install a second copy of JDownloader in another folder, let it update, and then update it to the Nightly Test version. See if the problem exists there as well.
Old 07.02.2011, 06:43
VulcanTourist

Default More missing context....

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbits View Post
This problem has only been seen in the following situations:
1) Installing JDownloader into "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)" on Vista or later (Exit JD. Create a "Progs" folder. Move the whole JDownloader folder to "Progs")
2) Somehow the permissions are messed up (for example, check the permissions on the plugin for uploading.com). Change the Windows Security permissions on the entire JDownloader directory to allow BUILTIN\USERS full access.
3) Your antivirus is getting in the way or dropping packets.

Now that you know the problem is only for uploading.com, we need you to post at least three links that work in a browser, but have an error in JDownloader
I'll add this to my to-do list, but it's clear that I need to add some more context. These errors are random; they do not occur for every file from uploading.com. They do not occur at all for other hosts (though uploading.com dominates my queue these days). I can always clear the errors with patience and (a) simply enabling and resuming them or (b) restarting JD or (c) resetting a file in worst case.

I've also been seeing "Disconnect?" errors interspersed; again, they occur only for uploading.com files, never for other hosts. I've attached a screenshot of just how silly it can get; that first file in the screenshot is actually one that previously had a "No permissions" error and which I enabled and resumed. As you can see, I got those errors on three successive uploading.com files and then a download in progress on a fourth!

I am suspicious that this all has something to do with the download limits imposed by uploading.com. Is the plugin handling that correctly and gracefully?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screenshot_00001.jpg (18.5 KB, 338 views)
Old 07.02.2011, 12:08
remi

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanTourist View Post
(though uploading.com dominates my queue these days)
What you wrote between those parentheses is statistically relevant information. It probably excludes that your problem is caused by uploading.com.

You wrote in a previous post that you can't remove your virus. Why? I'm pretty sure it's causing your connection problems. You need to configure it or remove it, because it's blocking jD.

Another potential cause could be your firewall.
Old 07.02.2011, 12:20
Storm

I'm pretty sure it can be caused by the speed limiter or bandwidth control. If you have more than one download at the same time, one can get all the bandwidth and the speed of one goes down until it dies and says "no permission to write to harddisk".

I noticed that this doesn't happen with the JD nightly version. Last week I switched back from nightly to stable for a test and within a single hour I had three "no permission ..." aborts because of one download stealing the full bandwidth from the others. Switched back to nightly and not a single "no permission ..." since then.
Old 07.02.2011, 12:41
remi

Cool

Then a solution for the Stable version of jD, for people who max out their total bandwidth with one download, would be to reduce Max.Dls. (at the bottom of the jD window) to 1.
Old 07.02.2011, 14:16
VulcanTourist

I've already done that, reduced both maximum downloads and connections, not that the former is even relevant when only one host's files are queued since JD doesn't download more than one file at a time from a given host.

Just to humor Remi, I have disabled all software security. I disabled it once before and it seemed to make no difference.
Old 07.02.2011, 14:28
remi

Cool

Hahaha. Disabling isn't the same as un-installing. Even a disabled firewall/virus might block jD's traffic.
Old 07.02.2011, 14:34
VulcanTourist

No, it CAN'T, not if I've made sure the services are disabled, too.
Old 08.02.2011, 03:29
VulcanTourist

When fully disabling the AV/firewall didn't make any difference, I went one step further - again to humor Remi - and uninstalled it completely.

It's made no difference.
Old 08.02.2011, 10:54
JD Manager

please provide a new logfile
Old 08.02.2011, 14:33
VulcanTourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
please provide a new logfile
I tentatively don't think that will be necessary now, unless it would help make JD less prone to this behavior; it seems to have stopped for me.

I performed the other things DrBits had suggested. I already had just JRE 6u17 x86, from earlier troubleshooting, but I removed and reinstalled it anyway. Then I moved the JD directory tree to the root of the drive, and finally changed the permissions on the entire tree to give machinename/Users full rights.

One of those seems to have ended the behavior(s). If I had to guess, I'd pick the file relocation. Certainly the time spent humoring Remi's hatred of antivirus and firewall products was not very constructive. (I'm not fond of them either, but I haven't declared jihad against them.)

I will keep watching closely for a relapse; right now it's reached the quota for the site and is waiting. Later I might try reversing those last changes to see if I can isolate the cause. For the moment it seems that the best advice for anyone else that encounters "No permissions" or "Disconnect?", at least for uploading.com, may be to move JD and/or alter the tree permissions.
Old 10.02.2011, 09:20
VulcanTourist

Default Still not [solved]

My optimism was premature. It's happened again. I also saw a couple of the "Disconnect?" errors, but those cleared without any intervention. Tonight there was another "No permissions" error.

To recap, the only JRE installed is 6u17 x86, JD is no longer in the standard app paths, directory permissions are wide open, antivirus and firewall are gone.

Did I mention that it occurs DURING the download while it's in progress? It doesn't happen at the moment it starts, not when it ends. It happens seemingly at random. It's never at either the same percentage or file position. I know how to look for patterns, and the only visible pattern here is the host.

I resumed the failed in-progress file. It will probably finish like all the others, but the errors keep happening, and only with the one host. Not fileserve (god what a PITA those captchas are), not megaupload, not any of the other several hosts I've used in recent weeks. Just uploading.com.
Old 10.02.2011, 10:32
remi

Please, reread post #157. Also provide some example links that fail.
Closed Thread