JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Old 15.01.2013, 16:15
Giga Loader

Default Filepost resume option not working (freeloading)

When downloading files as a freeloader from Filepost, the connection that I'm on gets interrupted quite often, so I want to be able to resume the download if possible. Filepost is marked as a resumable host for freeloaders in jDownloader, so that should be very nice, but the resume option is greyed out in the link's context menu's drop-down list (after the download has stalled). The only option that seems to be left to do is to reset the link to the download, which deletes the partly downloaded file, and to start the download all over again, which is not very helpful when the connection gets lost this often. If Filepost is not a resumable host for freeloaders, why is it marked as such, or is it me who is doing something wrong?

Any help on this issue would be much appreciated.

Last edited by rockwater; 15.01.2013 at 19:12.
Old 16.01.2013, 21:31
Community Manager

Resume should work fine.
If it doesn't, please post example links and a log!

GreeZ psp

Erste Schritte & Tutorials || JDownloader 2 Setup Download
Spoiler:

A users' JD crashes and the first thing to ask is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
Do you have Nero installed?
Old 22.01.2013, 16:03
Giga Loader

Downloading as a freeloader from Filepost, just a few minutes before finishing the download is interrupted by Filepost. Resuming the download (only 400 MB) is not possible. The log says: Download quota has been reached. Normally I would expect the hoster to give a statement about download quota before allowing the download to be started, if this might be an issue. Every other hoster does. This is just well-mannered conduct. And: Filepost doesn't mention anything about download quota at its website. So this looks like harassing freeloaders to me.

Example link: **External links are only visible to Support Staff****External links are only visible to Support Staff**

Log file: http://jdownloader.net:8081/pastebin/105097.
Old 22.01.2013, 16:29
Community Manager

If JD says the quota is reached, please verify it via browser.
JD can only resume downloads if limits have either been skipped or if limits are gone by waiting for them to end.

GreeZ pspzockerscene

Spoiler:

Quote:
Old 22.01.2013, 18:23
Giga Loader

Thanks, PSP, for the lightning fast response. A waiting time was indeed invoked, so I waited for that to end. Then I received a captcha that I completed. I waited for the download to be resumed, but I got a "server issue - wait 10 minutes" message instead. So again I waited for that waiting time to end. And then - unbelievably - the computer froze up completely with 8:36 min waiting time left. So I had to restart the computer, and by then (of course) the resume option had been annihilated. The download file on my hard drive is still a .rar.part file, so it could perhaps have been resumed, if the resume information had been retained in somewhere JD. Or does JD save the resume information?

I suppose that now I'll have to start the download all over again. I guess it'll be the fourth or fifth time that I try to download this particular file, so I'll keep my fingers crossed once more.
Old 22.01.2013, 18:29
Community Manager

Probably the resume information has been lost.
Once JD2 is finished this shouldn't happen anymore but unfortunately, right now it is like it is and we cannot change it.
...but I don't see any JD bug here.

GreeZ pspzockerscene

Spoiler:

Quote:
Old 22.01.2013, 19:02
Giga Loader

Thanks for the help anyway, PSP. I now understand a bit more about how JD deals with the resume option. But I'm still curious about how JD can resume Filepost downloads for freeloaders, as Filepost doesn't allow freeloaders to resume partly finished downloads via internet browsers.

I hope JD2 is to be released soon. I can't wait for it to arrive!

As for the bug: I think that perhaps I did something wrong somewhere along the line. But I'll keep an eye on that, and I'll come back if there's something that needs to be brought up in this regard.
Old 22.01.2013, 19:20
Community Manager

Hi again
Well, as long as it's technically possible, JD can resume and filepost didn't limit it (even if their site says that)!

It's still loong time to go till JD2 will be released...

GreeZ psp

Spoiler:

Quote:
Old 23.01.2013, 00:07
Giga Loader

Well, I tried downloading the same file from Filepost at about 19h16m. At 19h45m the download was still incomplete, but nevertheless stopped. The log said: Download quota has been reached. The waiting time was 3h42m. I waited till the waiting time was over. At 23h27m the download was resumed, after completing a captcha. After just two minutes the download was stopped again. The log said: Download quota has been reached. The waiting time is now set to 4h07m.

I completely fail to understand why I can't resume this download after having waited out the waiting time as indicated. The waiting on my part should have been sufficient for the download to continue and finish. This download seems to be shelved forever. Anyway, I'm going to sleep now. In the meantime the waiting time will reach its finish and then the download will be resumed. But I won't be there to complete the inevitable captcha. It would be nice if JD would allow the waiting time to be lenghtened at will, so I can plan to be at the computer when the download is being resumed.

Downloadlink: **External links are only visible to Support Staff****External links are only visible to Support Staff**.
Link to the log file: http://jdownloader.net:8081/pastebin/105141.

Last edited by rockwater; 23.01.2013 at 00:24.
Old 25.01.2013, 17:44
Community Manager

Maybe the file is incomplete on their servers.
I didn't try to download it 100%.
I checked the resume function by downloading some MBs, stop download, start again->resumed!

GreeZ psp

Spoiler:

Quote:
Old 27.01.2013, 00:54
Giga Loader

At last I succeeded in downloading the file completely. A few days had passed and I also used a different computer on a much more stable internet connection than I used earlier. Using this thoroughly stable internet connection, the download completed like a breeze. I guess that a very unstable internet connection may eventually strain the resume possibilities too much. When the internet connection gets interrupted too often during the download, the hoster may throw in long wait times every time the download is resumed, perhaps eventually causing the download to be irrepairably stranded. So my conclusion would be to use only a fairly stable internet connection when downloading from hosters. In contrast, my experience is that downloading via bittorrent is absolutely robust. It doesn't matter how frequently the connection gets interrupted, the download will pick up wherever it left and it will go on and on and on.
Old 27.01.2013, 10:33
royzen2

Talking resume not working

I see that you seem to be struggling with resuming your downloads.

First of all I think that you need to understand that most downloads especially from file sharing sites are not resumable. Even with premium accounts.

FACT: Download links (most) expire.

It would be bad for business if they did not expire, I guess.
Download links are different. Some require same IP that requested a file in order to resume a download which is not good since most of us use dynamic IP's. Some links are timed. Some require human verification (CAPTCHA), to get access to the link again.

These factors make automated download resume impossible. These barriers were all put in place by people in order to prevent excessively abusive downloading and of cause to use downloading to make money.

So how do you solve this problem. Easy.

1. Get a download manager that does not delete your downloads and keeps the downloads alive even when there's no downloading or when your connection has been interrupted. The only one I know so far is Flashget 3.7

2. Be prepared to pick up failed downloads yourself and reignite them manually. When your download fails, go and request a new link the same way you got it before. Copy the new URL. Add it to Flashget and pause it. Go to the failed download on Flashget. Right click on it and go to properties. Overwrite the old URL with the new one. Make sure that the URL has changed before proceeding. Press OKAY. Double click the failed download and watch it resume form where it left off. Delete the new one you've just added to Flashget. This method works 100% of the time for me.

There's nothing worse than downloading ten gigs only to fail at 95% and watch your download fail and get deleted by a stupid download manger.

So now how do you solve the problem of time waiting needed in order to get access to a new download link on a timed file sharing site. Easy. If you IP is dynamic that means it changes every time you disconnect and reconnect to the internet. Do this before getting a new link.
Old 31.01.2013, 02:52
Giga Loader

Hi royzen2

Thank you for the time you took to help me with resumable downloads that nevertheless sometimes fail due to frequent connection interrupts. I presume you are talking about downloads that are firstly resumable only. Even Flashget 3.7 won't be able to resume a non-resumable download, right? I never used Flashget, but I may give it a try when I get stuck with a failing resumable download again. But before I start using it, I'd like to understand better a few things that you wrote under point (2).

- What do you mean by "request a new link the same way you got it before". I never request download links now, I just go looking for them on the internet and after I've found them I place them inside JD.
- Why do I have to get a new download link and use it to replace the old one? Download links don't change, do they? So what's the point in switching them for new ones?
- And what do you mean by "Delete the new one you've just added to Flashget"?

But maybe it'll be self-explanatory once I start using Flashget.