JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Old 20.08.2022, 00:30
Linkgrabbing Monster

Default Java Heap Size preventing launch

I'm at my wits end on this issue. I used to be able to specify a 2G limit for Java heap size in the options file. But every now and then, it seems like it'll only let me launch JDownloader when the Java heap size it set to a lower value. Right now, it's down to 992 MB before it lets me launch it. Anything over this will prevent the launch. My system has 64 GB of memory, and I tested it with nothing else running, but still to no avail though. Is there something else I'm missing that would be causing this issue? My Java is freshly updated, this is a brand new laptop, same issue on my previous laptop.
Old 20.08.2022, 01:36
English Supporter

32bit java wont allow over 2gb, you need to install 64bit version. You can do this manually by,
- remove java/jre within the JDownloader installation path (installers can provide there own java, and prefers this over system java)
- install 64 java/jre to your system if not already present.

Don't fight the system, use it to your advantage. :]
Old 20.08.2022, 02:30
Linkgrabbing Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by raztoki View Post
32bit java wont allow over 2gb, you need to install 64bit version. You can do this manually by,
- remove java/jre within the JDownloader installation path (installers can provide there own java, and prefers this over system java)

So JDownloader is using it's own packaged Java version, and not what I installed from the Java website before installing Jdownloader ?
Old 20.08.2022, 02:34
Linkgrabbing Monster

Quote:

Also, I can't even do 1-GB under the Java JD is using. I used to be able to do 2G with the same system. So there must be another reason for those specific issues if 32-bit can indeed do up to 2-GB.

I installed 64-bit Java, and then installed JDownloader, that's how I did it before writing my original posting on this. So shouldn't that have picked up my Java installation ?
Old 20.08.2022, 11:26
English Supporter

I was assuming a lot, but not much info was provided in the OP, best I could do.
32 bit jre/java for memory only can allocate up to 2gb. No idea why the installers do not detect if the system has JRE already installed, and or provide a dialog with options.

Installers provide there own jre correct. If you delete/rename the jre/java directory within JD install path the launcher will look for system java based on system respective PATH setting.

raztoki

Old 20.08.2022, 21:30
Linkgrabbing Monster

Quote:
I was assuming a lot, but not much info was provided in the OP, best I could do.
32 bit jre/java for memory only can allocate up to 2gb. No idea why the installers do not detect if the system has JRE already installed, and or provide a dialog with options.

Installers provide there own jre correct. If you delete/rename the jre/java directory within JD install path the launcher will look for system java based on system respective PATH setting.

raztoki

I tried that yesterday, but it didn't work with deleting JD's JRE, it just said no Java present. I can try the advanced settings thing with pointing to where it is, maybe that'll work, but it didn't try to find it with the system path.

But just out of curiosity, is there any reason why the 32-bit JD JRE won't let me use even 1G, if it supposrts up to 2G? Like is there anything based upon the size of the Windows Swap file, or something else maybe? I used to be able to do 1.6G, then would only work with 1040M, now it only works with 980MB, can't figure out why.
Old 21.08.2022, 03:02
English Supporter

maybe your system is out of memory? but that seems unlikely if you have 64GB RAM ?
I would recommend trying to start JD via cmd/console/terminal?
but
Maybe best to wait for Jiaz to respond to the thread

Old 22.08.2022, 17:30
Linkgrabbing Monster

Also, the error message said to point to a 32-bit Java, and I see that JDownloader itself is 32-bit. Does JD have to use a 32-bit version of Java in order to work ?
Old 22.08.2022, 17:35
JD Manager

@MuzicSoulWorldly: I'm in a hurry so fast response. JDownloader comes with 32bit default jvm and launcher(exe). You can change JVM to any other version but it must be 32bit. If you want to use 64bit jvm, then you need a 64bit launcher, see here ( https://jdownloader.org/jdownloader2 ) for 64 bit version.

Just install a 64bit bundle and you're free to customize as much memory as you want you can backup/import your current configuration, see https://support.jdownloader.org/Know...-configuration
Old 23.08.2022, 19:57
Linkgrabbing Monster

Yeah, that explains it probably. There was only one single Windows version to download when I downloaded JDownloader last week:

**External links are only visible to Support Staff****External links are only visible to Support Staff**

Maybe that's the same thing I downloaded back this spring when I first begun experiencing this issue. I just noticed that the link in your response post, https://jdownloader.org/jdownloader2, is different than https://jdownloader.org/download/index where the website links naturally take you if you goto Jdownloader homepage manually if people go there from other sources. Are the 64-bit versions just not publically available, and only available through asking about it ?
Old 23.08.2022, 20:00
Linkgrabbing Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
@MuzicSoulWorldly: I'm in a hurry so fast response. JDownloader comes with 32bit default jvm and launcher(exe). You can change JVM to any other version but it must be 32bit. If you want to use 64bit jvm, then you need a 64bit launcher, see here ( **External links are only visible to Support Staff**... ) for 64 bit version.

Just install a 64bit bundle and you're free to customize as much memory as you want you can backup/import your current configuration, see **External links are only visible to Support Staff**...

That explains it probably. When I downloaded JDownloader last week, the website download link shows only 1 single Windows version to download, from https://jdownloader.org/download/index. But the link you provided me, https://jdownloader.org/jdownloader2, shows alot more Windows versions. Is this intended to happen, like are the 64-bit versions not publicly available without getting the link from admin ?
Old 23.08.2022, 20:41
JD Manager

@MuzicSoulWorldly: for most user and *normal* usage the 32bit version is just fine. 64bit requires more memory and also has much higher default memory limits (max heap) and user wonder why JDownloader/java requires that much memory without doing anything. maybe in future we will provide optional 64bit installer on main website as well
Old 23.08.2022, 20:46
JD Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzicSoulWorldly View Post
Are the 64-bit versions just not publically available, and only available through asking about it ?
They are publically available, else you could not access them The link lead to alternative installer (including adware free windows installer), see https://support.jdownloader.org/Know...g-installation

Last edited by Jiaz; 23.08.2022 at 20:48.
Old 23.08.2022, 20:47
Linkgrabbing Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
@MuzicSoulWorldly: for most user and *normal* usage the 32bit version is just fine. 64bit requires more memory and also has much higher default memory limits (max heap) and user wonder why JDownloader/java requires that much memory without doing anything. maybe in future we will provide optional 64bit installer on main website as well

Okay, makes sense then, I appreciate that response. Although couldn't you just make the 64-bit default heap size the same as the default 32-bit heap size (main version), and then if they want to make it bigger manually, they can? I think many would be confused why everything is 32-bit in a 64-bit environment. Then, even if they didn't know about changing anything, they would at least have the version that more matches their system environment? Just a thought.
Old 23.08.2022, 20:57
JD Manager

Quote:
Although couldn't you just make the 64-bit default heap size the same as the default 32-bit heap size (main version), and then if they want to make it bigger manually, they can?
Technically that would be possible but there is no *same* heap size. It's based on x-percent of available system memory and other constraints and those *rules* may change with different java version. Also 64bit jvm requires more memory than 32bit jvm due to bitness difference.

It really comes down to individual use case and usage. Java with its managed memory and garbage collection, users don't understand well why a java application uses lots of memory without doing anything. So the default 32bit version at least helps to reduce astonishment But of course I can and do understand your thoughts!

Quote:
Okay, makes sense then, I appreciate that response.
You're welcome. Nothing to hide and it's important to us that user can understand the why/how and what

I can't really answer the question why 32bit jvm fails to launch with x heap memory while working fine with same setting in the past or below 2gb. My guess is that it highly depends on how that memory allocation from os is implemented and maybe also depends on chosen/used garbage collection method, as some methods just double the current memory while gc is running and that can overflow the 2gb limit in 32bit.

Last edited by Jiaz; 23.08.2022 at 21:06.