JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Old 19.06.2019, 06:40
interzone

Default "Default Download Path" nightmare

In the "general" settings, one is allowed to set the "default download path," but either due to a flaw in JD's design, or worse, a very bad judgement call, the user is allowed to set that path, but then the app decides to ignore the users wishes and come up with a download path of its own.

In designing the download path option, it appears the creators assumed that the chosen download drive would always be connected.

This is an obvious mistake, as JD is used to download many large files, and thus external drives are often used.

I my case, I add items to JD that I wish to download at a friend's house, which has a much faster internet connection than my regular residence. When I visit every couple of weeks, I "backup" all the JD settings and import them into the copy of JD that I have running on his computer, which saves to my external drive there.

So, since I am not connected to that drive when I add items to JD, it chooses a default download path on my laptop, which has only 20gb of free space, and is not an option for a download path.

The "nightmare" part comes because I painstakingly entered the correct download path in each of the "save to" fields for each of the hundred or so future downloads I had added to JD. When I quit the app and reopened it, the app had replaced every single one of these with the unusable laptop download path.

Would the creators please stop this nonsense? If you allow a user to select a download path, have the app leave it as the user enters it, without attempting to "help out" and change it to some other path.

Regards

P.S. Who the hell thought it was a good idea to put the user, who is already logged in, through 5 separate "recaptchas" simply to post a message to the forum. Is 5 necessary?
Old 19.06.2019, 07:38
English Supporter

Clearly this post shows your frustration. Please be aware that JD has been designed as 1 user to 1 installation, on the system that user is using. Though there has been changes to this with advent remote control/my.jdownloader and portability since, but its still designed around 1:1. Solutions or approaches you can take in respects to JD design (as I understand)

1) use remote control via my.jdownloader to add links remotely, this would allow you to set the path and send the links to your friends installation without the need to be at your friends at the time. To me this would be the best as its the fastest. Though limitation would be if your harddrive isn't at your friends or your friends system isn't online then you'd have issue.

2) add links to your system, though save as container vs transferring download lists/config settings. This means download paths are not set transferable, thus should all add quickly in the path you would like (change your friends default path for the purpose of mass adding links, or use the add links/container dialog).

3) else continue doing what your doing, though you can mass change the download path by selecting all packages (mass collapse with ctrl and left click -/+, and highlight) and setting the download path, takes all of a couple seconds.

4) when using on portable devices you can keep JD on the drive that your saving to, jd will save as a relative path so drive letters wont play influence. This allows you to switch from different operating systems (windows/bsd/linux) without any drama.

maybe one of those would help. I'm not sure why download paths would automatically change when incorrect. I've never seen or experienced this myself.

in respects to the forum, you have been placed in a probation group dude to your signup critera. After x posts you will be placed as a standard user. This prevents spam on our community, basically eliminated spam since implementation. I can't say why you had to answer 5 challenges in order to post, maybe due to your browser fingerprint and past volume/history. Google has its own methods and ways to determine threat levels.

raztoki

Don't fight the system, use it to your advantage. :]
Old 19.06.2019, 12:47
interzone

First, let me apologize for writing while in a frustrated state. Never a good idea.

Second, let me make clear that I think JD is one of the most stunningly well-designed pieces of software I have ever used. I have donated more than once in the past. If I ran a major software company, I would not hesitate to hire everyone of the JD coders in a flash.

Third, I was mistaken when I wrote this (and would edit it out, and change the thread title, if I could): "The "nightmare" part comes because I painstakingly entered the correct download path in each of the "save to" fields for each of the hundred or so future downloads I had added to JD. When I quit the app and reopened it, the app had replaced every single one of these with the unusable laptop download path."
This was my error. It turns out that upon reopening the app, it had kept the majority of the manual path insertions in the "save to" section. I hac simply clicked on several samples, all of which had the incorrect default path, and presumed all the others suffered the same problem. I apologize for that error.

As for your reply:

1) I will investigate my.jdownloader, but I use the list of past downloads in JD as a reference (for example, if I download a package of TV episodes with a total size of 3GB, then, weeks later, the same episodes are uploaded to a different site but with a different size, I can quickly search the JD download list and discover if the new file is a quality improvement on the one already downloaded). my.jdownloader would have to allow me to not only view, but scroll and interact with the downloads list on the target machine. This is basically screen sharing, and I assume that my.jdownloader does not offer this capability. But I will check it out.

2. Thanks for the tip. I actually like to transfer all settings, including all config, each time because since the last import I may have changed a password on a file hosting account, or turned off one of three valid accounts so the active two will have their download allowance used up first because they are expiring sooner, etc.

But I believe what you are telling me is that, by saving all of my links into a single .dlc, I could set the download path for all in a single move during import, because that .dlc would not have copied the original download path, but instead adopted the existing one on my friend's machine, or whatever one I entered when importing the .dlc into the JD app on his machine.

This might be problematic as, though all download paths should start with "/Volumes/Jdownloads/<jd:packagename>", some additionally say "/Volumes/Jdownloads/Music<jd:packagename>" or "/Volumes/Jdownloads/Movies<jd:packagename>"

3. I cannot create the result you describe. If I highlight 5 downloads in the list, then enter a new path in the "save to" box, the new path will appear in only one of those downloads. If I highlight multiples, then control-click to view the submenu, then choose "change download directory," I can enter the correct download path, but after pressing "save" I get an individual "could not create folder" error message for all 5. Again, because the download path points to a volume that isn't presently connected.

4. Good to know, but not sure it's relevant here. The drive I want to use is 60 miles away, and can't be accessed via remote login or screen sharing (at least not via Mac OS). So if I kept JD on the drive attached to my friends computer, I would not be able to load links into it while using my laptop. But perhaps you are telling me something else? (Both machines are Macs, so there isn't any drive letter problem.)

Thank you for your lengthy reply. Prior to writing, I looked at all the advanced settings and filtered by those with "path" in the name. I did not make any changes, but let me know if there is a way to enter "/Volumes/Jdownloads/<jd:packagename>" there as a default download path and have it stick, so the app won't be concerned about the fact that the path isn't accessible when I am adding a link.

Regards
Old 19.06.2019, 16:08
JD Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by interzone View Post
3. I cannot create the result you describe. If I highlight 5 downloads in the list, then enter a new path in the "save to" box, the new path will appear in only one of those downloads. If I highlight multiples, then control-click to view the submenu, then choose "change download directory," I can enter the correct download path, but after pressing "save" I get an individual "could not create folder" error message for all 5. Again, because the download path points to a volume that isn't presently connected.
the *properties window* below the list only shows the properties of the current selected package/link. mass changes are NOT possible with this. the window header will reflect the item(link/package) whose properties are currently shown

Quote:
Originally Posted by raztoki View Post
3) else continue doing what your doing, though you can mass change the download path by selecting all packages (mass collapse with ctrl and left click -/+, and highlight) and setting the download path, takes all of a couple seconds.
mass change is done via rightclick context menu raztoki just forgot to make this clear.
Old 19.06.2019, 16:52
English Supporter

@interzone
re 1:
my.jd just gives you access to the other machine content, via api and presented in webui or apps on mobile devices.

screen share? we use teamviewer

re 2:
maintain the password changes via my.jd
create three containers? select the download path on the remote system manually for each file.

re 3:
@jiaz && interzone
sorry yes I did have that in my first writing then had to rewrite everything due to clicking a link accidentally and when i clicked back I lost the text in the textbox (don't have restore extension installed on this mac book). I always use context menu to dialog, or keyboard shortcuts to dialogs never the bottom menu its crap, as its single item task and on screen hog.

re 4:
far as I know as long as you don't start download on you home system it should not have change the download path even if its incorrect. It would/should just show download status/error that path does not exist.
for relative path support you need to download to JD install path, correct me if I'm wrong Jiaz.

raztoki

Don't fight the system, use it to your advantage. :]
Old 21.06.2019, 16:18
JD Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by raztoki View Post
re 4:
far as I know as long as you don't start download on you home system it should not have change the download path even if its incorrect. It would/should just show download status/error that path does not exist.
for relative path support you need to download to JD install path, correct me if I'm wrong Jiaz.i
correct. relative path support requires the download folder to lie within JDownloader folder, relative to JDownloader.jar file, for example besides libs, tmp, update folder, just another download folder. That way JDownloader will update internal paths on startup and update drive letters/relativ prefixes