JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Notices

Old 04.06.2011, 19:05
pajarraco

Default Specific DNS Server

Is there any way to specify the DNS server that JD will use ? It could be interesting in order to avoid ISP blocks and more...

Last edited by Jiaz; 05.06.2011 at 12:07.
Old 04.06.2011, 19:53
Ultra Loader

If u want to change the dns server, view the tutorial listed on open DNS. link is h t t p s ://store.opendns.com/setup/
Old 04.06.2011, 23:25
pajarraco

I don't want to change the DNS of the network... I want to use a different DNS for JD requests.
Old 05.06.2011, 12:06
JD Manager

thats not possible
just change the dns for on your computer
there is no sense in using a customized dns server (i dont know any tool where you can customize dns). just change the dns entry on your computer to use opendns and all is fine
Old 04.02.2020, 06:35
Super Loader

I know this is an old thread, but I wanna re-request this. The reason is that a system-wide DNS change is simply not reliable at all. It seems to randomly fall back on the original DNS and thus the ISP block. For websites, reconnecting the Wifi and doing a hard force refresh a few times usually helps, but for jD2 there's currently no way, it will just fail, and fail, and fail again. Sometimes you get lucky, but it can literally take minutes of trying just to get a single link. Please help. I've been struggling with this for months now and lost out on a lot of downloads and it is driving me mad.

What I've been doing so far: DNSJumper, setting both IPv4 and IPv6 to a new DNS server. Sometimes, a combination of reconnecting, flushing and reapplying DNS will do the trick, but it's a real and unpredictable struggle.
Old 04.02.2020, 12:45
English Supporter

I don't foresee this happening ever within JDownloader.

The most realistic solution for end users, if you want to safeguard requests over your system is create yourself VPN connection in which you connect to a service(demon) in which you control. Then port the internet back over your standard gateway and change the DNS provider. In JD add another direct connection in the connection manager, and disable 'no proxy'. This way all applications or operating system can be controlled vs each application having to manage DNS requests.

Note: If you change your default gateways network settings to say google/cloudflares/opendns, you can use your ISP download quotas (assuming your have them) up because your no longer using localised cache (Akamai/others), AND downloads can be significantly slower due to non localised transfers.

raztoki

Don't fight the system, use it to your advantage. :]
Old 20.02.2020, 23:41
Super Loader

Wanna expand a little more on what I said after some more experience. For youtube-dl also reconnecting the Wifi works. For JD it just mostly doesn't. Something about how jD handles DNS requests is simply different and no matter how often I reconnect, it just won't get it to work except very very rarely. I sometimes reconnect 5-10 times to try and get jD to recognize a Youtube link for a restricted video, and nothing.
Old 21.02.2020, 00:48
English Supporter

jd doesn't handle dns requests in the manner you're thinking. its handled by operating system. jd > java > operating system apis.
not sure how modem reconnection is linked to recognition of a youtube video.

Don't fight the system, use it to your advantage. :]