JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Notices

Old 12.06.2022, 11:41
JD VIP

Default Question: How to downgrade to a previous date

I'm currently experiencing quite a few new (!) problems with core version #46197. So, I'd like to downgrade for verifying whether or not these problems have something to do with one of the latest updates.

Question 1:
Which is the easiest way to restore to a previous release, which - in my eyes would also have to include any plugins to the same date?

Anyway, from now on I will use 'Live File Backup' from 'Infonautics' to backup any version-related files, which I already do for some other apps I'm running.
Note: For such cases, this is better than Windows' 'Backup and Restore'.

Question 2:
Can somebody please tell me which files are or can be subject to change, during an update. I would need that list for 'Live File Backup'.

Question 3:
And how do I keep JD from updating again?

Will try to answer this one myself:
In
Code:
.\JDownloader2\cfg\updateclient\setup.json
change this to 'false'
Code:
 "autoupdatecheckenabled"      : true

Last edited by StefanM; 12.06.2022 at 11:54.
Old 12.06.2022, 11:47
JD Manager

@StefanM: I'm sorry but there is no downgrade support. When there are issues, report them and we will check/fix them. What *new* issues do you encounter? I regularly check forum and fixed the one reported issue (filer.net). Please report them so we can check/fix them
Old 12.06.2022, 12:59
JD VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
@StefanM: I'm sorry but there is no downgrade support. When there are issues, report them and we will check/fix them. What *new* issues do you encounter? I regularly check forum and fixed the one reported issue (filer.net). Please report them so we can check/fix them
The latest issue was, that for all files in the 'Status' column it read 'Starting...' forever - no more downloads at all.

I do already have weekly complete backups, and the latest backup does not show that problem.

However, I updated to Core #46208 as next step, and now not all files/links show the above problem, which I will observe...

Question:

Since there is (still ) no changelog, and probably will never be again ...
... is there a way to figure out - e.g somewhere in the logs - when which update (core, plugins,... - has been performed?
Haven't looked for that, yet.
Old 12.06.2022, 13:28
Script Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanM View Post
... is there a way to figure out - e.g somewhere in the logs - when which update (core, plugins,... - has been performed?
Code:
Jdownloader\logs\updatehistory
Old 12.06.2022, 13:32
JD VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgpai View Post
Code:
Jdownloader\logs\updatehistory
Yeah, obvious!
Thanks for the reply!
Old 12.06.2022, 17:48
Script Master

@StefanM: You can use a script (similar to the update notifier) to track and automatically open unread logs.
Old 12.06.2022, 13:40
JD Manager

Quote:
The latest issue was, that for all files in the 'Status' column it read 'Starting...' forever - no more downloads at all.
I'm not aware of any problems here and no reports. Please provide logs. Please open separate thread for this.
Old 12.06.2022, 13:42
JD Manager

Quote:
Haven't looked for that, yet.
Yes, see logs/updatehistory folder. There you will see the updated files for each applied/installed update step. These are just the files that were updated and do not contain changes caused by the update, see my previous response

Update: just noticed mpgai was faster see https://board.jdownloader.org/showpo...9&postcount=10

Last edited by Jiaz; 12.06.2022 at 13:49.
Old 12.06.2022, 14:03
Script Master

Quote:
Were any new/test scripts active at that time? Scripts with sync. execution can block downloads.
Old 12.06.2022, 17:22
JD VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgpai View Post
Were any new/test scripts active at that time? Scripts with sync. execution can block downloads.
No, I only have one script running in that particular installation ( I have many JD installations).

And that script was the update notifier. But it is true, the problem showed up, after I had installed that script in that particular installation.
Old 12.06.2022, 11:48
JD Manager

Quote:
Question 1:
Which is the easiest way to restore to a previous release, which - in my eyes would also have to include any plugins to the same date?
If you really need this, then create a full backup of the JDownloader folder. Changes may be plugins only, but also may contain core changes/fixes and even changes to other files (eg new configuration, or changed storage format...)
Old 12.06.2022, 12:50
JD VIP

Quote:
If you really need this, then create a full backup of the JDownloader folder. Changes may be plugins only, but also may contain core changes/fixes and even changes to other files (eg new configuration, or changed storage format...)
Full backup would include e.g.
  • *.backup files
  • *.zip files
  • *.log files
But I would only want to backup those files, that are really subject to changes by updates.

That's why I asked which files I would need to backup. Or - the other way round - which files I do not need to backup.

Maybe you can answer this, if it is not too much efforts. Otherwise I will try to find out myself...

Last edited by StefanM; 12.06.2022 at 13:05.
Old 12.06.2022, 13:39
JD Manager

Quote:
Full backup would include e.g.
  • *.backup files
  • *.zip files
  • *.log files
But I would only want to backup those files, that are really subject to changes by updates.
That's why I asked which files I would need to backup. Or - the other way round - which files I do not need to backup.
Maybe you can answer this, if it is not too much efforts. Otherwise I will try to find out myself...
1.) Why backup .backup files? .backup files are auto generated when JDownloader failed to load a list, they are write only.
2.) no need to backup log files as they are log files, write only.
2.) As already explained, every file may be subject to be changed by update. may just be plugin chances, but
also cause changes in configuration (eg new configuration settings) or stored lists (eg format changes).
Old 12.06.2022, 17:19
JD VIP

Quote:
1.) Why backup .backup files? .backup files are auto generated when JDownloader failed to load a list, they are write only.
2.) no need to backup log files as they are log files, write only.
2.) As already explained, every file may be subject to be changed by update. may just be plugin chances, but
also cause changes in configuration (eg new configuration settings) or stored lists (eg format changes).
Again a misunderstanding, I guess.

I quoted just a few examples, why your suggestion of making a backup of cfg folder is much too much. I listed items that should not be backupped, when I just want to backup files which may be modified by updates.

My objective was to learn about all those files, that I would not need to backup for the intended purpose...

I know, I'm writing too much theses days, which might keep one or the other reader from reading my posts thoroughly enough
Old 12.06.2022, 17:24
JD Manager

Quote:
I listed items that should not be backupped
I'm sorry but I did not read it in that way but I understand how you mean it.
Old 12.06.2022, 11:49
JD Manager

Quote:
Question 2:
Can somebody please tell me which files are or can be subject to change, during an update. I would need that list for 'Live File Backup'.
Everything in your JDownloader folder (JDownloader itself, plugins, libraries) and changes may also have influence on configuration and the used fileformats (eg caches, download/linkcollector list format).
We do NOT guarantee any downgrade support/stability as formats/interfaces/methods are ALWAYS subject to change

Last edited by Jiaz; 12.06.2022 at 11:55.
Old 12.06.2022, 11:51
JD Manager

Quote:
Question 3:
And how do I keep JD from updating again?
We don't recommend this at all because this just leads to more support. Ppl will complain about issues just to find out that they have been addressed/fixed already.
But you may do so by disabling Settings->Advanced Settings->UpdateSettings.autoupdatecheckenabled
Old 12.06.2022, 13:04
JD VIP

Quote:
We don't recommend this at all because this just leads to more support. Ppl will complain about issues just to find out that they have been addressed/fixed already.
But you may do so by disabling Settings->Advanced Settings->UpdateSettings.autoupdatecheckenabled
Of course not as permanent setting!!!

Just for testing!

But in the meantime I found quite a few useful settings, like 'being asked to allow an update'. If this also applies to plugin updates etc. this setting would be very useful.

Question:
Is that so?

If yes, I would use that as my standard setting, so I can see and tell, which update (and when) might have caused a problem, such as the one I described here.
Old 12.06.2022, 13:16
JD VIP

And please forgive me for this one:
as the answer will probably be 'of course'.

Question:
Is there a mechanism, which makes sure that
- in case of e.g. a plugin update, which can be performed with out restarting JD -
this update will be held back until restart, in case it only works correctly together with a core update?
Old 12.06.2022, 13:48
JD Manager

Quote:
this update will be held back until restart, in case it only works correctly together with a core update?
plugin updates that are not compatible with current core are not released in first place and thus blocked by core update updates are installed/applied in background (without restart) only if they do contain ONLY plugin changes. as soon as a non plugin file is part of the update, it's treated as core update