JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Notices

Old 26.02.2010, 06:11
notoriouscwe

Default [Mac] JDownloader window "stuck" halfway off screen

So guys, the program is great and has been always, but today something bizarre happened and I can't figure out how to fix it. On OS X 10.6, I use a program called Cinch which simulates Windows 7 "snap". This program could easily be the culprit, however I thought I'd ask anyways. I tried to get the JDownloader window in half the screen by dragging it off the screen to the right, and it went halfway off and then got stuck there. I can't drag the window, maximize or minimize to the dock etc. Any ideas?

Screens:

Desktop:

Expose:

Old 26.02.2010, 13:31
JD English Support (inactive)

Try minimizing it from your "Taskbar".
Old 02.03.2010, 19:56
notoriouscwe

The dock doesn't show an option to minimize, only hide, quit and under options there is keep in dock, show in finder or open at login.
Old 02.03.2010, 22:51

Try turning Keep in Dock on/off. Do the same with Hide if that doesn't work.

Try setting the JDownloader window narrower.
Old 19.04.2010, 00:00
jsmith6007

Default Having same problem in Mac OS X 10.6.3 with no third party window manager

I'm having the same problem with stuck windows in Mac OS X 10.6.3, and I have no third party window managers installed.

The problem is that JDownloader windows are permitted to be dragged and released underneath the Mac OS X menu bar, which prevents the JDownloader window from being repositioned ever again, since only the top title bar of a JDownloader window is draggable.

There is also no way to reset the Window with any available options, the only fix is to Force Quit JDownloader, which prevents the current window position from being stored and will reopen in it's original (draggable) position, but force quitting is not ideal.

This may be a limitation of Java-based windows, but I am hoping for a Setting to be added to JDownloader that can restore a window's position to x:100, y:100 or a way to prevent the window from ever being dragged underneath the menu bar.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2010-04-18 at 12.jpg (32.2 KB, 8204 views)
Old 19.04.2010, 02:50

Are other programs drag-able by any edge, but resizeable by only the lower right corner?

The two solutions I can think of:
1) When the JDownloader window is in the "Normal" condition (not minimized, docked, or maximized), it must be moved to be entirely within the "Client area" of the screen.
2) Make the sides an bottom drag-able (possibly OS dependent). On Windows XP with no theme, there is always a 1 pixel border when you move the window or "Title bar" off of the edge. I cannot vouch for all themes or for later versions (which always have a theme).

I prefer the first solution. What do you think?
Old 19.04.2010, 07:35
jsmith6007

Most Mac OS X applications these days don't have edges on the left or right of their windows; both Finder and Safari windows have nothing to click or grab for dragging or resizing on the left or right edges; however, the entire bottom edge is normally between 16 - 25 pixels in height and always remains draggable just like the top of these windows, with the bottom right corner reserved for resizing.

(Note: I'm not particularly fond of this direction in UI by Apple -- I believe having persistently draggable edges around application windows with 4 resizable corners is far more intuitive, and this was a standard followed by the Silicon Graphics' IRIX operating system back in the day, rather than having no edges on the left and right as Apple does now.)

Solution #1 is what most Mac OS X application windows tend to do; preventing this problem by either automatically moving the window back down into the "client area" of the screen when the mouse is released, or ceasing to move any further up when the top edge of the application window reaches the bottom edge of the mac menu bar (which measures 22 pixels in height, according to a pixel ruler).

It would be helpful to make the left, right, and bottom edges "draggable" (if that's possible) not simply dedicated to resizing only as they are now, but letting them be used for dragging the entire window around would be a good solution... I suppose having a 2 - 4 pixel edge around the entire window for dragging the window around, and the very outside border edges and/or all four corners used for resizing would be a nice way to handle it across all operating systems.

Last edited by jsmith6007; 19.04.2010 at 08:05.
Old 19.04.2010, 10:28
remi

Cool

There's a video on YT that explains how to get back control over the window :- "**External links are only visible to Support Staff**.

You need to go into System Preferences and make sure "Spaces" is enabled, and then take note which key is used to activate "Spaces" (it might be F8).
Old 21.11.2010, 23:58
BugMeNot Account

Default other solution

Just change the display resolution temporarily to a lower one - in my case from 1440x900 to 1024x786. When you change back to the initial resolution all windows are smaller and visible. This workaround also works for lost JDs on external monitors after unplugging.
Old 07.02.2011, 09:46
stevenmusicmaker

Default When jDownloader get stuck at top on a MAC!

I, too, found jDownloader getting stuck at the top of the screen on my Macbook Pro, OSX 10.6.6. I just downloaded this program and am trying to learn how to use it. It getting stuck at the top of my screen above the menu bar on my Macbook Pro is really annoying. I left it there a while, then a few days later I tried grabbing it near and above all the green arrows and actually moved it down, and then almost freakishly after moving it down and away from the menu bar, it was right back up there again!!!

Anyway, I enabled spaces, separated it into its own space, which places it in the middle of the screen, and then disabled spaces, since I really do not use them. Worked great! Something needs to be done about the problem that started this, though!

Also, is there a reason why I can not access jDownloader's website? I downloaded the program from Softonic, but then tried to go to jDownloader's "homepage", from the "About jDownloader" page and can't. Safari says, "Too many redirects occurred", what is that about? Granted, might all be in German, but still...
Old 07.02.2011, 11:57
remi

Cool

The home page problem might have been caused by a temporary server problem. Here it works fine. Is it now working working for you as well?
Old 07.02.2011, 18:27
JD Manager

about the mac taskbar stuck issue
hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRwr7JlV7Ac
Old 08.02.2011, 06:28
stevenmusicmaker

Thanks for the youtube video. I mentioned in my earlier post that after jDownloader got stuck at the top of my Macbook Pro under the menu bar that I moved it down, and then found it back up there, freakishly. I then had to use "spaces", a built in Mac program, to "un-stick" it. Well, now I know how it "freakishly" jumped back up under the top menu bar.

When I copied some more files for download, then the window opened in jDownloader and the program moved up on its own, when the window opened! It slid back up under the menu bar, by itself, when copying links! Because of this freakish and annoying move, I left "spaces" turned on, and have not noticed this strange behavior since then. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Oh, and Remi, thanks for asking about my inability to open the 'Home' window. Even on this site, if I click the Home button at the top, Safari says "too many redirects occurred" and will not open it. Same with 'News,' 'Download,' 'Changelog,' 'WikiFAQ,' 'Help,' & 'Services,' --I seem to only be able to access the 'New Posts' and links past it on the bar over head!
Old 08.02.2011, 10:41
JD Manager

we now have a imac ourselves so we will be able to provide a swoman mac experience in future. we just have to learn some more *how to use a mac*
Old 08.02.2011, 12:19
remi

I'm sure you'll learn to use a Mac very quickly. I think that even my grandwoman would be able to use it. You just need to do things instinctively and get used to only one mouse button.

@stevenmusicmaker

I've never used Safari, but I'm sure it must be a Safari setting somewhere that is blocking the jD site. There are (Gogol) adds on those pages. Are you using add blockers?
The only problem I've ever had with this site is cookies, but that has been solved. I can even use it without enabling javascript (I type the tags myself), which is a great.

Last edited by remi; 09.02.2011 at 11:53. Reason: added 'to'
Old 08.02.2011, 22:04
stevenmusicmaker

Thanks Remi for some input. I experimented and found that because I do not enable cookies, unless I am logging into an account, not having cookies enabled was actually blocking these jDownload websites. I use a new flash cookie/cookie/database manager built especially for the Safari browser, called Safari Cookies, so I enabled cookies briefly and found I could then access all the webpages at the top of this page. Your input helped me to know where I should experiment, thank you!
Old 09.02.2011, 03:19

We now have an OS-X discussion thread (it is sticky) and there are specific OS-X posts from the Self Help Index (see my Signature).

At least one user noticed that the "Stuck above the top" issue was related to using Move to Grid (which has a bug that moved the Grab Bar off the top of the screen when it got close).
Old 09.02.2011, 12:25
JD Manager

about cookie and homepage:
we use a cookie based load balancing mechanism. the cookie contains your origin and website set language. we use this cookie to reduce load from backend and our cache can serve the correct page.
Old 17.07.2011, 10:33
upgrayedd

Default Solved.

Go to File -> Settings

Click "User Interface" under the "Basics" catergory.

On the right hand side, uncheck "Enable Style (skin)"

Click the "Downloads" tab at the top and when prompted to restart JDownloader, do so.

:)
Old 17.07.2011, 12:31
JD Manager

see here
Old 18.07.2011, 06:42
upgrayedd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
see here
^Doesn't work in Lion.

Disabling Style does.
Old 18.07.2011, 10:22
remi

I don't understand that recommendation. Do you mean you choose another Style. Which one?
Old 19.07.2011, 01:24
upgrayedd

Quote:
Originally Posted by remi View Post
I don't understand that recommendation. Do you mean you choose another Style. Which one?
You don't need to choose another style. You just disable styling of the top bar.

Once you do that, it prevents it from being dragged past the top of the screen.

So you go from this:

to this:

Last edited by upgrayedd; 19.07.2011 at 01:44.
Old 19.07.2011, 09:55
remi

Thanks for the info. In the version I'm running on Windoze it's called "Enable Windowdecoration".

Are you running the Nightly version of jD?
Old 19.07.2011, 12:48
JD Manager

thanks for the feedback
this option will be removed anyway no longer use customized window decoration
Old 20.07.2011, 11:03
upgrayedd

Quote:
Originally Posted by remi View Post
Thanks for the info. In the version I'm running on Windoze it's called "Enable Windowdecoration".

Are you running the Nightly version of jD?
Hmm yeah I think I am running nightly. Pretty sure I have the "Log" tab and non of my other JDownloaders do...