JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Old 18.10.2009, 07:14
germ

Angry [Mac] JD completely freezes Snow Leopard

This happened twice today. Had to restart my iMac each time.

I am unable to deliver full bug report with log right now.

JD version is 0.9.059.
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (32 bit kernel)
Java version: Java SE 6 64 bit (from Java Preferences.app)

JD was downloading from rapidshare. Also using aMule at the same time.

Last edited by Jiaz; 05.05.2010 at 17:24.
Old 18.10.2009, 11:51
remi

Cool

When does the freeze occur? Does it happen after you perform a particular action? Does it happen after a certain time?
Old 19.10.2009, 00:45
germ

At first, JD starts OK. I entered the download queue and it started downloading. Then, I hid the app. When I came back to the computer (the first time overnight, the second after a couple of hours) the computer was either completely frozen, or Safari was still responding but with no internet connection. I had to force a restart in both cases. I am 100% convinced it's JD's fault because I can use aMule with no problems normally.

I will try again with the log enabled after I am done with the aMule downloads.
Old 19.10.2009, 12:52
remi

Cool

Could you please also monitor memory/RAM consumption of jD? Thanks.
Old 11.01.2010, 00:51
translat

Check activity monitor. Do you have a process called pictd that launches with JDownloader and eats up huge amounts of RAM, eventually freezing the whole system? Happens with me and I have not found a solution. Search for "pictd" in the German forum.

This bug defeats the whole purpose of JDownloader. I hope a solution will be found very soon.

Mac OS 10.6.2
JDownloader 0.9.579

Last edited by translat; 11.01.2010 at 10:20.
Old 03.02.2010, 13:38
robrecord

I have this problem too. Once I quit pictd, my computer became more responsive - it was using 1Gb of RAM. I have heard this process is some kind of legacy process, something to do with 32 bit libraries used by 64 bit processes.

jDownloader was using over 300Mb of real memory at the time this happened, too.

**External links are only visible to Support Staff****External links are only visible to Support Staff**
Old 03.02.2010, 16:46
Streetwalker

install java 5 and everything works perfect!
Old 15.02.2010, 04:24
Rome1304

Default Get rid of pictd Process on mac snow leopard

OS
Mac osx 10.6.2

Just disable clipboard monitoring and cliptd process dissapears

you can check it on Activity Monitor
Old 26.04.2010, 15:50
50cmvorm50"plasma

my imac freezes too. mostly after 30min or 1 or 2h running smooth,
it freezes my mac, and the ball is spinning... i must reset then.
i run java SE 6, and i had "monitor clipboard" running yes. i disabled the clipboard now for testing...
Old 27.04.2010, 11:35
remi

If your problem hasn't been solved, please post a detailed log.
Old 28.04.2010, 08:43
50cmvorm50"plasma

problem still exists, heavier than before.
i ll post a log as described there.

but if it freezes, i must reboot, is the log from/before the freeze still saved in jd?

Last edited by 50cmvorm50"plasma; 28.04.2010 at 08:46.
Old 28.04.2010, 10:15
remi

Start jD as follows in a command window :-

cd %your jd directory%
java -verbose -jar -Xmx512m JDownloader.jar -debug 2>errlog.txt >log.txt

When the problem happens, archive (zip, rar, etc.) the log files that you'll find in your jD directory and attach the archive to your post.

Edit: Incorrect instructions for OS-X. See post 42 (drbits)

Last edited by drbits; 04.10.2010 at 10:56.
Old 28.04.2010, 21:12
50cmvorm50"plasma

sorry i dont know anything about the terminal
i tried your lines in the terminal window, and nothing happens, i dont see that jd starts.

"xmac:~ xmac$ cd /Applications/jDownloader.app
xmac:jDownloader.app xmac$
xmac:jDownloader.app xmac$ java -verbose -jar -Xmx512m JDownloader.jar -debug 2>errlog.txt >log.txt
xmac:jDownloader.app xmac$ "

i had a look at jd action log. the problem is, that jd wont save the action log, after the reboot, its gone. when jd freezes my mac (also JD is frozen of course) i cannot access the action log anymore...

other idea?

Last edited by 50cmvorm50"plasma; 28.04.2010 at 21:15.
Old 29.04.2010, 09:25
remi

Logs are indeed lost when you exit jD.

With the method I gave, the logs are written to a file. It works in Windoze and Linux. Macs are advertised as being more customer friendly. There might exist an easier method.

You've to wait for someone who uses a Mac. I don't know enough about Macs.

Is there a *_createlog.* file in your jD directory? Try to execute it.
Old 29.04.2010, 10:29
50cmvorm50"plasma

i am sorry, i dont even have a jd directory. my jd application simply resides
in my application folder. anyone with a mac, who knows how to get the action log after a reboot? i simply must reboot by pressing the on/off button for 10sec, as JD app freezes in a second, and also freezes the whole mac. its completely FROZEN.....and i dont know when it freezes, it just happens. i also watched the activity monitor, processor and ram consumption, its at normal level, when it freezes. JD needs 5 or 10% processor speed, 50 threads and 200 MB physical RAM, later 250 MB RAM. ( i have 4GB installed)

there would be the console app. it writes logs for everything. but the log is very very long. i could send this?

wait, another one:
i can access the app itself by right clicking JD app "show package contents",
there is an action log and an error log, but both are empty (?) and one has the line
"Unable to access jarfile JDownloader.jar"

edit: i noticed that JD runs in 64bit mode, on my imac 10.6.3, just as a sidenote (?)
and my java version is as follows (see attached screenshot)

thx for help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg java.jpg (27.4 KB, 446 views)

Last edited by 50cmvorm50"plasma; 29.04.2010 at 10:41.
Old 29.04.2010, 11:54
remi

Did you already try jD with the 32 bits version of the JRE (java)? Temporarily disable the 64 bits version.
Old 29.04.2010, 11:56
50cmvorm50"plasma

no, you mean disabling 64bit of java? or both, also disabling 64 bit of JD?
Old 29.04.2010, 12:08
remi

Both.
Old 29.04.2010, 12:13
50cmvorm50"plasma

i cannot disable java 64 bit as it disables whole java then, the 2 checkboxes in java app are dependent on itself - and jd wont start.
but i can test running jd in 32bit now!
Old 30.04.2010, 09:49
JD Manager

yes please in 32bit, i guess you have to move 32bit over 64bit in list
Old 30.04.2010, 09:57
50cmvorm50"plasma

yes right, i did so tonight, and it was running without freezing about 8h.
thats very long! if it continous to run in jd 32bit in combination with java in 32bit, does that mean JD is not running in 64bit on my imac for whatever reason?
Old 02.05.2010, 18:01
50cmvorm50"plasma

i am sorry, 32bit didnt helpt, froze again.
i switched back to 64bit now, as it is not the cause.

i was able to save the console log as html after rebooting, after the crash/freeze has happened.
its enclosed, see below.
any experienced developer, who would like to drop an eye on it?
dont know if it can tell where the problem is...

from my simple point of view (i am a user, dont know anything about terminal lines or software development)
it could be obvious, that it has something to do with these repeating lines in the log, just before the freeze happened :

"PreDupeChecked: no mirror found!"

how can i solve this prob, please?
Attached Files
File Type: html log.html (22.7 KB, 582 views)

Last edited by 50cmvorm50"plasma; 02.05.2010 at 18:18.
Old 03.05.2010, 10:25
remi

Cool

Disable JD Unrar and if it happens again, please, read my post #10 again.
Old 03.05.2010, 11:35
50cmvorm50"plasma

ok thanks! disabling auto-unrar
Old 26.05.2010, 20:47
50cmvorm50"plasma

i realized, that disabling auto-unrar was very helpful,
i had no complete-imac-freezes since about 4 weeks, where i had a freeze
every day, with auto-unrar checked "on"
but yesterday it happened again, i had a full freeze when running JD (after 2h)

any idea?
Old 27.05.2010, 10:11
remi

What were you doing before the freeze?

Which jD extensions are activated?
Old 27.05.2010, 11:40
50cmvorm50"plasma

thats the weird thing: i noticed that it usually freezes when the imac is only running JD, and no other app, and i leave the house, after 1 or 2h it freezes, when i work on the imac besides running JD, it never froze. i disabled all screen savers and energysavers to avoid conflicts with JD, but it didnt help.

talking about the jD plugins, which are activated:
(i am running the default settings, which are set, when i do a fresh install of JD, just disabled autounrar)

- External interface 1.5
- HJSplit 1.5
- tray icon 1.6
Old 27.05.2010, 12:49
remi

It could be a memory leak. Did you look at the memory consumption of java(w)?

Which version of the JRE are you using?
Old 27.05.2010, 12:58
50cmvorm50"plasma

i didnt notice any strange memory behavior, as i sometimes watch the activity monitor, when running JD. but i cannot watch it when i leave the house, thats true. so i dont know for sure, what it does, when i leave the house and the imac is idle, except JD is downloading.

JAVA SE 6 64bit (1.6.0_20)

earlier i tried running java in 32bit mode and also JD in 32bit mode.
but it still froze...
Old 27.05.2010, 13:41
remi

JRE version 1.6.0_17 32 bits ("**External links are only visible to Support Staff**) is the last version that's compatible with jD. Remove more recent versions.
Old 28.05.2010, 22:31
50cmvorm50"plasma

ok. i try. thx for the java link, it was only pc and linux download of JRE version 1.6.0_17, i searched for that earlier version on apple site, but they only offer the latest 1.6.0_20, cant find _17 with google. so i try running JD and java in 32bit with version 20.

its running fine now since yesterday, let me pray for how long it runs... : )
edit: froze last night again.

do you really think, it must be 1.6.0_20 version of java, which freezes my mac, when using JD?

Last edited by 50cmvorm50"plasma; 30.05.2010 at 21:01.
Old 01.10.2010, 23:57
freezingiMac

Hey guys
I'm having the same problem and I slowly start getting crazy
I got jDownloader 0.9.580 running on Mac OS X 10.6.4, Java 1.6.0_20 and jDownloader keeps freezing my iMac every day.
Since the latest post of this thread is from may, has anyone come up with a solution to this problem meanwhile?
Just like 50cmvorm50"plasma I cannot download the older Java version from the sun website. I decided to give turning the unrar extension off a try, will see if it has any effect. So far I haven't noticed any excessive memory usage by any process.
Would be great if anyone could help!
Old 02.10.2010, 00:01
50cmvorm50"plasma

still same freezes, since then,
also with updating JD to latest version.
turning off unrar in JD didnt solve freeze... (10.6.4)

i found a workaround, but its awkward:
i start JD and start downloading, after about 15 or 30minutes
i interrupt and press stop all downloads. i wait 5minutes and proceed downloads,
looping that procedure every 30minutes...

thats my procedure which prevents freeze of the mac at all !

so it seems that the freeze is developing slowly
when using JD for a longer period like 1h or longer.
it could be the ram or processor load, maybe JD sucks ram and processor load, and when all ram
is gone, and load is high, it freezes. i also had an eye on the screen behavior some minutes prior
to the freeze, i cannot move the mouse cursor continously, the cursor of the mouse freezes for
fractions of a second and then i can move it, and on and on it goes...after some seconds/minutes it freezes.
my mac completly, that i have to press "reset" like holding the on/off button for 10 seconds...

Last edited by 50cmvorm50"plasma; 02.10.2010 at 00:10.
Old 02.10.2010, 00:55
JD Legend

Hmm I am wondering as your running 10.6.4 What is your machine? Have you tried getting info and maybe trying to set for use 32 bit mode or 64 bit mode which is default I believe. Also have you checked to see if running it under Rosetta.

When was the last time you verified permissions and also ran Verify/Repair disk also just in case?

Java is also notorious for memory leaks too especially if you have a lot of other Java apps running simultaneously.

Some times JD seems to hang also mostly due to the Web browser after it has visited a site using a poorly written Java script and or flash due to those causing a conflict/memory leak also.

When I notice the problems I usually try to stop safari, clear its cache and many useless cookies which I know slipped in. Close and restart Safari or firefox if it is open instead of safari.
I will also sometimes stop JD and restart it. Sometimes if JD is stuck one needs to do a force quit but be cautious with that as you will loose some dl links especially if they are still in linkgrabber. some times if there is a really bad memory leak or freezing that will not release an app properly I may have to reboot but that is rare.

When was the last time you actually also updated the OS?

Last edited by Statter; 02.10.2010 at 00:58.
Old 02.10.2010, 09:23
50cmvorm50"plasma

thx statter,

- i usually quit all apps bevore running JD alone.
- i am running JD on my 2.8 Ghz alu imac 24" with 4GB RAM and 1TB HD
- i can provoke freeze of the mac when running itunes and playing songs,
and then also running JD for 30minutes or 1h it freezes
- i updated to 10.6.4 about 9 weeks ago, i guess, but i didnt format disc and install
everything new since 2008.
- i am usually verify permission and repaid disc and clear cache files when JD freezes my mac, then i press on/off button and then i reboot using apple+S button into save mode, there i use the app "applejack" which repaids my mac.
- i also tried earlier to switch java to 32bit in the control panel/ java app. but that didnt prevent JD to freeze my mac.
- i usually quit safari when i run JD (and all other apps), but i wont help
- your write: "Sometimes if JD is stuck one needs to do a force quit", in my case,
JD doesnt just hang, i never notived that JD is hanging, JD freezes my whole mac and system, i cannot press apple+alt+esc to force quit or any other button, its a freeze...the mouse cursor changes to the ball and spins for hours, when i would wait

what i can do now: start JD in rosetta and try that way, thanks
but i did that once, and also switched JAVA to 32bit, but it froze after 1h running.
Old 02.10.2010, 10:59
remi

Use the 32 bits version of the JRE, because the 64 bits version might still have memory leaks. I think a memory leak might be the culprit here.

I would also provide a log, otherwise speculation might continue eternally. You can produce logs with this command executed in your jD folder :-

Code:
java -verbose -Xmx512m -jar jdownloader.jar -debug 1>jdlog 2>jderrlog
It's possible that you've to omit the -Xmx512m parameter. This parameter limits the memory usage and I've read that Apple might not allow it.

Compress both log files into an archive and attach it (use the advanced settings of the forum) to your post.
Old 02.10.2010, 12:24
freezingiMac

@Statter: I think Rosetta is not even installed on my machine. I have a late 2009 27" iMac, 2,66 GHz Core i5, 4 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD.
Permissions don't seem to be the problem. jDownloader likes up my file system on every freeze and disk utility tells my my startup disk needs repairing due to incorrect block counts of rar parts downloaded by JD.
I use Opera instead of safari but most of the time JD just runs by itself with no other apps open.
I ran Software Update a couple of days ago.
Just like 50cmvormPlasma there is no way for me to force quit JD when the system is frozen as no app including the task killer (CTRL+ALT+ESC) will respond.

Regarding my file system corruption problem: A while ago I noticed that not only file system meta data is corrupted but the file contents themselves. Thus my downloads are unusable.
Since I'm fed up with these ongoing freezes I'll run JD in my Ubuntu VM until my current downloads are finished. Afterwards I'll try the Java logging remi suggested and will post back.
Old 02.10.2010, 21:33
JD Legend

It is sounding as though your both having an issue with some conflict that is corrupting your metadata be it on the mac itself under the OS or internally within JD. It could be possible that one of the internal folders such as /Applications/jDownloader.app/Contents/Resources/Java/container or some other internal resource is or may be corrupted in which case try to download and reinstall and update JD.

@freezingiMac, you can install rosetta from your original install DVD through the additional options of the installer.

@both freezingiMac and 50cmvorm50"plasma Try using DiskWarrior to check disc with as it will repair many things missed by the default DiscUtitlity. Although applejack is good also it sometimes does not catch some things also. That being said DW doesn't always fix things either although it has tended to fix more for me than either the default DU or AJ.

For me I find it best to have all three at my disposal but, find in 98% of the cases DW does the job more efficiently.

Now the other issue is one does not really need to do a full clean reinstall as in 10.6.x Apple actually fixed the restore properly. Yes it is a good Idea to back things up first but, one can now install over the top of an existing install and if something is missing or corrupted Apple now properly replaces the missing or corrupted file(S)
Note:10.5 is not fixed the same way thus one has to do the older restore install methods.

Yes you should also rerun apple software update to insure everything is current for the replaced and fixed file(s).

The other issue is compatibility of software you might wish to look at "**External links are only visible to Support Staff** and or "**External links are only visible to Support Staff**

As for 32 bit vs 64 bit there is an interesting program out now to determine what your system is actually running at and capable of. If your in SL then you can also change it if needed for the boot up type.
The app is available at "**External links are only visible to Support Staff**
This program is free though donations are welcome. 100% of all donations go to the relief project "India's Street Kids" Get to his site link from the above link if you wish to donate of course.

If you are able to run in VM then it does nots seem to be a Memory but, could still be some disk error within the addressing of the JD app and output location such as a bad block maybe also. If there is a bad block also on the hard drive one will need to run a totally different utility than the ones previously mentioned to find the bad blocks and mark them as truly bad and not to be used period. That utility is usually found in several of the file recover tool programs.

Good luck hope some of this is helpful and you can narrow things down further and get the issue resolved soon as I know it is frustrating to have a Mac give one problems
Old 02.10.2010, 23:13
50cmvorm50"plasma

sure. i am using disk warrior on an external disc & system to rebuild my directory internally from time to time. and i am usually working with applejack immediately after freeze to fix everything. additionally sometimes, i am running a couple of test suites like disc warrior, techtoolpro5 and so on, to verify/repair my disc, and they are always saying that everything is fine.

@*freezingimac: maybe install applejack, its a very good tool to fix OS in safebootmode (before the boot process !).

@*remi: once ago, i did a test with JAVA/JRE in 32bit mode, didnt help, still freezes.

@*remi: i would like to provide a log, but its not possible, as the log is lost and not stored in JD, after the system hangs up and i have to shut down the imac by pressing on/off button for 10sec. it freezes during JD runs, so i cant acess the log at all... sorry

@ statter:
"64kernel-startup" doesnt work with my imac 24" 2,8Ghz from 2007 as it is too old to support 64bit startup.

- bad blocks i checked with drive genius 3 and techtoolpro5, and they didnt find any, but i only did the fast test, which lasts 6h, the longer one would take me 4 days testing. (1TB HD)

- i didnt know that i can install 10.6 over the current one again to replace bad files,
but thats good news! doesnt that mean, that i loose all system settings and app settings?
is it only installing the system over the old one and leave every setting as it was before?

-my downloads never were unusable after a freeze and reboot, between this i repaird
disc and system with applejack in safebootmode (press apple+s after turning on mac)
the downloads and files were still placed in JD and i kept on downloading, and unraring fine.

in the meantime, i am running JD under rosetta, also in 32bit mode.
testing this night!

thanks statter and remi!

Last edited by 50cmvorm50"plasma; 03.10.2010 at 10:59.
Old 03.10.2010, 02:21
JD Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50cmvorm50"plasma View Post

@ statter:
"64kernel-startup" doesnt work with my imac 24" 2,8Ghz from 2007 as it is too old to support 64bit startup.

--------

- i didnt know that i can install 10.6 over the current one again to replace bad files,
but thats good news! doesnt that mean, that i loose all system settings and app settings?
is it only installing the system over the old one and leave every setting as it was before?

--------------

in the meantime, i am running JD under rosetta, also in 32bit mode.
testing this night!

thanks statter and remi!
Good to see your on top of the right tools and such
Sorry you have such an older machine, the 32/64 bit tool I pointed too at least will help some maybe

I was surprised also when I found out about the new install. I had already backed up my sons MBP and went in expecting the need to do a clean install and instead was given the option to install over the top. As I already had his system backed up totally with CCC, I decided to test as he had corruption that would not boot his system at all due to an improper install of an app that corrupted some root files.

When it got finished with the reinstall to my surprise everything worked and he did not loose any settings at all. I did immediately run the Software update though before testing any of his apps on general principle. His system has been running smooth every since.

Let us know the results of running JD under rosetta, and also setting it into the 32bit mode, after proper testing of course.