JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Notices

Old 17.10.2018, 08:23
JD Legend

Default Google reCaptcha has become a major PITA

I believe this was posted elsewhere here already but could not find it easily. The datff here may want to make this into a sticky possibly. Sorry for the repost but yes this is very frustrating.

Google reCaptcha has become a major PITA everywhere!
File hosters that use reCaptcha are nearly impossible to use; because Google's algorithm increases difficulty, the more files you try to download.
Webmasters seem to love it so it's probably here to stay; but it's just got to be improved somehow.

Please take a look at my previous post for information about how to file complaints with FCC. Google has to respond to you, in writing, within 30 days.
https://board.jdownloader.org/showpo...4&postcount=77

Complain directly to file hosters. Here is a (partial) list of sites that are nearly unusable:

filefox.cc
filejoker.net
uploaded.to
upstore.net
datafile.com
filesmonster.com

Contact your forum administrators and ask them to contact the hosters.

Please feel free to copy any or all from below to send through any of the above suggested avenues of complaint, or to post at forums where others are discussing the problem:

GOOGLE SETTING NEW STANDARD FOR INACCESSIBILITY
Users are being prevented from accessing services online by Google's reCaptcha service

'Captcha' is an important tool to protect online service providers by thwarting spam and preventing automated extraction of data from websites. Captcha is essentially a program or system intended to distinguish human from machine input. Captcha services typically present the user with some type of word or number sequence to enter, or a puzzle that must be solved before continuing. Captcha is used on millions of online systems; commercial, institutional and government. Sites for online shopping, ticket vendors, job applications, government provided data sites all use some form of Captcha. Ideally the Captcha is easy for humans but nearly impossible for automated systems to solve.

Google's product, called reCaptcha, is a free service that can be implemented on any web site with just a few lines of code. Difficult for machines? Absolutely! Easy for humans? Annoyingly, hair-pullingly, teeth-gnashingly NOT!

Googles new captcha software presents the user with a three by three grid of images and asks that all correct images (images with cars, for example) be checked, by a mouse click. Easy enough, yes? Well, not really.

Problem #1: Is that a long stretch of empty highway or are those 6 pixels at the top of the image cars? Is that a car bumper poking it's nose out, or the edge of trash can? Who Knows? How about those street signs? A 'Main St.' sign is obvious. A stop sign or mile marker, OK. How about that billboard or the placard stapled to a telephone pole? The sign pole that has a sign facing the camera and two below that facing the opposite direction - If I can't read the sign does it count? What do you do with the signs that go across multiple squares of the 3x3 matrix. If a sliver of an edge of a sign is in one of the squares, should I check that square? How about the signs on a long stretch of highway. The big ones in the foreground are obvious, but should I also check the little ones in the background. And please, let's not even start on the captcha to check storefronts! At this point, it is obvious that Google isn't checking for human intelligence, it's checking luck (and eyesight). I have completed captcha after captcha, checking carefully to be absolutely sure I got it right, only to get “Wrong Captcha. Try again.”

Problem #2: On the subject of eyesight, the reCaptcha software supposedly has an alternative option for the visually impaired. Clicking on the headphones icon will provide an audible Captcha rather than a visual one. Every time, hoping for escape, I've clicked on the headphone, I've gotten this message (and others are reporting the same issue): "TRY AGAIN LATER. Your computer of network may be sending automated queries. To protect our users, we can't process your request right now. For more details visit our help page." At this point, you are essentially blocked, not only from this site but from any site that uses reCaptcha - for the next hour or more. The only option you have other than waiting, is to reset your IP address by restarting your modem.

Problem #3: Some (Many) captcha challenges are not simply check the image and continue. Upon checking, the image disappears and is replaced with a new image that may or may not contain the content you must check. Don't notice and try to continue and you get this message, "Please check the NEW images." I have sometimes had to check the same square 5 or 6 times before it stops reloading images. And that's not all. If the google reCaptcha server is getting bogged down, you have to wait for the replacement image to slowly appear and, too frequently, you get an error message "Connection to reCaptcha lost, please try again." That's right, start over from the beginning.

Problem #4: The torment goes on, and on, and on. You finish your attempt at a solution and the big green box to the finish line says what? NEXT. How many times do I have to go through this? Sometimes three or four rounds before you get to VERIFY.

Problem #5: And on, and on. So now, you have finally reached the end, clicked verify, experienced the joy of seeing that little box with a green check mark. Ready to go! Right? No, Prometheus, start pushing that rock up the mountain again! It seems that the solved captures are returning tokens (software lingo) that google fails to confirm a few seconds later. This causes an endless loop, starting the whole process over again from the start. What can you do, now? The only solution for getting out of this loop is a restart, reload the web page, or your browser, or your system. I suspect many people give up at this point.

This is not trivial. Even if ultimately successful, this process doesn't take a few seconds. We're talking about 5, 10, 20 minutes sometimes. Think about this. Even if it's only 5 minutes, times millions of users; collectively how many hours and hours of our precious time is Google wasting.

If you have experienced this frustration, I suggest you let Google know about. The reCaptcha development team can be e-mailed at support@recaptcha.net. Although, I don't know how effective your complaint might be. I have yet to hear back from them. As one forum commentator succinctly put it:

"Google just doesn't seem to be able to focus on products that require service and customer support; that's literally any product that people pay for (instead of viewing ads). Customer support isn't and never has been in their DNA. It's often rage-inducing how hard it is to contact a human at Google. They seem to think they can engineer products that don't need humans behind them."

You can also file an informal complaint with FCC at: **External links are only visible to Supporters**consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us. Google is required to answer in writing within 30 days.