JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Notices

Old 28.10.2017, 03:40
Giga Loader

Default Automatic reset for unfinished nonresumable downloads

Sometimes a download terminates before it has finished. The reason may be that the host has decided that the download limit has been reached, or it may be the result of an internet connection failure, or whatever. In such a case JDownloader will usually throw in some waiting time, and after that has ended it will try to resume the download where it left off. This is all very fine if the download is resumable, but it's not if it's not resumable. Resuming a partly downloaded nonresumable download will invariably result in a download error. If the downloader fails to reset such a download before JDownloader tries to resume it, the result will always be a download error. At the moment I haven't found anything in JDownloader's settings that would automatically prevent this error from happening.

So my request is: is it possible to make JDownloader automatically reset all prematurely terminated nonresumable downloads that have not resulted in a complete download? After all, such partial downloads have become utterly useless and by not being deleted before retrying the download have become a hindrance for the download to finish properly. By having JDownloader automatically reset such nonresumable partial downloads at the moment the download has been interrupted before it has completed, the next time the download is started it will have a real chance of finishing properly.

Last edited by rockwater; 28.10.2017 at 03:59.
Old 28.10.2017, 04:19
English Supporter

JDownloader utilises plugins to download from http/https/ftp/etc.

dedicated or generic plugins have different code and different setters.
- generic DirectHTTP plugin does have code to detect, and auto reset data and auto retry.
- dedicated plugins typically have static setters (though some have fail over code to auto reset on connectivity issues), it will try to connect and fail. We need to be notified of this and change the setting in the plugin, or the automatic code do this (I personally don't like this code as it can reset on false positives and you loose your data.).

automatically resetting in the means you want wont work well just because of our program works and how plugins are coded. Automatically overriding the core on failure isn't smart either you end up with deadlocks/infinite loops. Downloads get disabled/ignored for a reason.

in respects to data been deleted before the retry, we don't do that for numerous reasons, but the primary one is that you can download from one plugin yet can resume from another (multihoster for example). Just because it failed with one download method (say free/guest download from the real provider) wont mean it can't be resumed with another (multihoster). or free/guest download resumed with premium from the same host. On download starting depending on the resume status in the 'open download/downloadable' core removes the data before saving to it. It can not cause issues.

raztoki

Don't fight the system, use it to your advantage. :]

Last edited by raztoki; 28.10.2017 at 10:19. Reason: added another reason
Old 28.10.2017, 10:00
Giga Loader

Hi raztoki,

Thank you for the detailed answer. I must confess that most of what you write goes a bit over my head. I'm just not technical enough to understand the details, I guess. I think I understand that my request carries the risk of losing data because of the complexity of the many ways downloading can be done. I can understand that. The programming will probably be too complicated to ensure that no data loss will occur. Or perhaps not every situation can even be addressed by programming.

I do not really understand what you write in the last sentence. I do have to delete the partly downloaded file when restarting the aborted nonresumable download? Or is this no longer required?

Greetings,

rockwater

Last edited by rockwater; 28.10.2017 at 10:22.
Old 28.10.2017, 10:20
English Supporter

once again plugins know when the download connection is opened if resume can happen, its one of the setters (though these can be set incorrectly, we need to be informed about this and we can change), if resume is false the request is made to position 0 instead of a chunk range and all data prior to that is lost/overwritten. so non event effectively, basically does as you request already. Just you don't see it.

raztoki

Old 28.10.2017, 11:21
Giga Loader

Hi raztoki,

I do not really understand what you write in your last message. I do have to delete the partly downloaded file when restarting the aborted nonresumable download? Or is this no longer required in JD2?

Greetings,

rockwater
Old 28.10.2017, 11:27
English Supporter

JDownloader has always done this automatically
on the open connection (next time the link tries to download), if the setter for resume is true it will resume, else it will start from position zero. thus no data has to be 'reset'.