JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Notices

Old 13.09.2009, 05:22
yyma

Exclamation How to recover lost links?

My JD lost all my download links after update. I tried to restore them by File->Restore, but it didn't work.

I still have all my backup files in C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxxxxx\Desktop\JDownloader 0.6.193\JDownloader 0.6.193\backup
There are several files: database.zip, ..., database_1252803841256.zip, links.linkbackup

I found some posts on this forum, and tried their methods,but it still didn't work. One of them said "load the linksbackup as normal container file" So I use Links->add links->add containers, and choose the file "links.linkbackup", still not working. Did I do it right? And above all, how can I recover my lost links.

Ps: My Jd is the latest version, not 0.6.193

Last edited by Jiaz; 14.09.2009 at 00:19.
Old 13.09.2009, 06:26
English Supporter

Did you update your JD from previous version to current version? Was the update successful? Did you make your backup before the update?

JD makes backup when updating, so please check the date of database.zip in your current JD, if the date is correct, use it to recover your links.

You can recover your links by unzipping database.zip to your config folder (overwrite). Before that, exit JD first and make another JD backup (complete folder backup) for safety.

Links.linkbackup is for older version, check the date.

Last edited by tony2long; 13.09.2009 at 06:51.
Old 13.09.2009, 07:15
yyma

Thanks for replying. Let me tell you the whole story, maybe you can tell me what I did wrong.

It started last night.
First JD was not responded, so I terminated it by windows task manager.
I tried to turn it on again, but the JD window didn't display, only an icon show up on the toolbar.
Then I thought maybe it's the operating system's fault, so I restarted the computer.
After entered Windows, I also updated Java.
I turned on JD again. This time it pop a massage. Something like: update successful to 8.234. And all my download links were lost.

I backed up several times yesterday. The latest database.properties says
#Sat Sep 12 20:51:36 EDT 2009
So I guess it's correct.
Quote:
if the date is correct, use it to recover your links.
Can you tell me how to?
Old 13.09.2009, 09:58
English Supporter

Let's see if my understanding is correct:
You were using 8.234 (8.324?), it was not responding, you terminated it forcefully, so I think your database.script got corrupted, JD got updated to replace the corrupted files, you lost your download links.

If your backup method is by copying JD folder, try to find the latest database.script or database.zip just before it was not responding.

A file dated one week ago or today won't help.
Old 13.09.2009, 14:27
yyma

Thank you a lot.

I find the database.zip right before Jd crashed. What shall I do now?
Replace it with the new one? How? Just change the name of it?
Old 13.09.2009, 15:28
English Supporter

Good!

You can recover your links by unzipping database.zip to your config folder, the database.script will replace the current one.

Before that, exit JD first and make another JD backup (complete folder backup) for safety.
Old 13.09.2009, 17:29
yyma

Problem solved. Thank you very much.
Old 13.09.2009, 23:35
JD Legend

This (repetitive) topic should be sticky.:whistling:
Old 14.09.2009, 20:19
eus

Default Same here

Yes but if i restart the links disappear, confuse.
Old 15.09.2009, 06:24
English Supporter

Are you saying that you got the links back and then disappear after restart?
I would suggest to copy all the URLs when you get them back, restart, then grab back the URLs.

Sometime it is better to use another JD folder just to get the links back so we can copy and paste them to our current JD, especially when you are updating.
Old 11.10.2009, 15:53
walterdh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony2long View Post
You can recover your links by unzipping database.zip to your config folder (overwrite). Before that, exit JD first and make another JD backup (complete folder backup) for safety.

Links.linkbackup is for older version, check the date.
I have 2 jd versions running: the 05.859 with 250GB (classical music) in links.linkbackup, and a new 0.8.9.
How to transfer the links to the new version in the absence of a current database.zip file in the old version (only a links.linkbackup)?
An early answer would oblige.
Walter De Haes
Old 11.10.2009, 16:01
JD Manager

backup config and container folder first and then copy from old jd to new jd
Old 14.10.2009, 13:59
Boronian

I have the same problem. My links are lost.
Yesterday the first time (then I put all of them manually back in the linklist more than an hour), today again.
I can only find this in the log:
14.10.09 12:53:38 - WARNING [java_downloader] -> Database not available. Create new one: links
14.10.09 12:53:38 - WARNING [java_downloader] -> Strange: No Linklist,Try to restore from backup file
14.10.09 12:53:38 - INFO [java_downloader] -> load Container: D:\JDownloader\backup\links.linkbackup

I have already tried to replace the config folder with different databasexxxx.zip files, but every time my linklist stays empty.
What is my mistake?
Old 16.10.2009, 16:02
remi

Cool

Put your jD folder at the root level of the disk partition. For instance c:\jDownloader
Old 17.10.2009, 03:54
pischello

Hi,

after a blackout JDownloader not closed properly.
Having rekindled the PC and tried to start JDownloader, does not load the main screen blocking to load (no load anything).

Trying to re-download jDownloader everything is ok, but how do I restore the link?
I tried with the database file but without success...
Thank you!

Last edited by pischello; 17.10.2009 at 03:56.
Old 17.10.2009, 10:14
remi

Cool

If the method with the database.script file in the config folder didn't work and you didn't make regular backups with jD's backup function (see files in backup folder), you probably lost your links.

One of the best and most reliable methods to protect your links is using a simple text file with all your links. I version that text file several times a day and all versions are backuped automatically with my daily, incremental disk backup procedure.

In the future, please use Ctrl-B every time you change something to the download queue. You'll never regret it when you get another blackout.
Old 18.10.2009, 00:36
pischello

Hi,
Hello, I followed your advice (though with much regret) and I moved the whole folder JDownloader (to keep it as a backup) and I downloaded the clean version from the site. Started being updated but always gives me this error...

and also by clicking cancel the program crashes at startup at this point in the image

Is possible that the problem could be due to an upgrade? As accepting the update the program crashes at startup as previously. Thanks

EDIT: I tried several times but after closing JDownloader, hangs. Do I have to delete the files in the config to be able to come back to the main window

P.S. Excuse me for my english

Last edited by pischello; 18.10.2009 at 05:49.
Old 18.10.2009, 12:30
remi

Cool

When an update doesn't seem to work, the developers recommend executing jdupdate.jar in the jD folder. Exit jD before you do this.

When the program crashes, the last updates of the download link list might not get saved properly.

Your updates might not work because of a firewall or anti-virus software blocking your Internet connection. Did you allow java.exe, javaw.exe and JDownloader in your firewall?

If this doesn't solve the updating problem, what's your OS, OS version, and JRE version?

Last edited by remi; 19.10.2009 at 13:50. Reason: jdupdate.jar instead of update.jar
Old 19.10.2009, 17:30
pischello

Ok, thanks for everything and availability
I solved by closing and running the jd update
Old 26.10.2009, 17:45
gotya

Exclamation aa

Quote:
Originally Posted by remi View Post
When an update doesn't seem to work, the developers recommend executing jdupdate.jar in the jD folder. Exit jD before you do this.

When the program crashes, the last updates of the download link list might not get saved properly.

Your updates might not work because of a firewall or anti-virus software blocking your Internet connection. Did you allow java.exe, javaw.exe and JDownloader in your firewall?

If this doesn't solve the updating problem, what's your OS, OS version, and JRE version?

Thank you ... This solved my problem (Jdownloader hangs at startup). I run Jdupdate.jar and a new Jdownloader created a backup "database.zip". I got my old links back.

Thanks again,
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

GY
Old 08.11.2009, 10:33
twicenice

Default Recover old links

I have old version of jdownloader, version which buged itself when trying to update.

*Where I can read JD version (UEdit,Whex literate)
*Backup files are in backup directory; links.linkbackup and database.zip
*Old backup files are renamed with rule database_1237662824000.zip
*Current version is 0.9.421
*Two versions are on different lan connected PC
*Is there some REG data to reveal version?
*Is there portable version of JD, orginaly portable, not Thinstalled, or citrix or nill modified..?

How to revive old links, becouse i used JD as link collector and download manager till fatal error.

If it is possible, is there way to start old version JD on new java version (maybe that was problem)
Old 08.11.2009, 11:37
remi

Cool

Many questions..I'll try to answer those that I understand.

The jD version can be checked with ? -> About jDownloader (don't use Ctrl+F1 because that gives the Change Log)

jD is portable, you can just move your jD folder to any folder, disk, USB stick or PC you want.

For updating issue, exit jD and start jdupdate.jar in your jD folder.

For making a backup, use File -> Save -> Backup. jD stores its backups in the backup directory of the jD folder. The database.zip is the current backup. The database_NNNNNNNNNNNNN.zip files are older backups. When you extract a backup file in the config folder you get the settings and links of the backup.
Please, exit jD before you do the extraction. The extraction will overwrite the current files in the config directory. If you want to keep the current config files, please make a backup of those files first.
Old 08.11.2009, 11:47
twicenice

Default Explanation...

Maybe I was not clear...

*I can not start old version of JD to know what version it is.
*I have old version files in JD directories and subdirectories.
*It can be started , as it is portable, but i did not check reg write or relaying of JD on that data in reg , or my documents subdir...so i am not sure of portability.
*old and current version of JD seems to have different backup definition...
Old 08.11.2009, 14:06
JD Manager

you can download new version, let it update and then copy the config folder of your old jd (if its not too old) to new jd...i think (but cant say for sure) that update from 0.6(not sure)/0.7/0.8 to 0.9 is possible.
Old 08.11.2009, 15:09
remi

Cool

If you cannot start an older version it might be because it's already started but not showing its GUI because of a blockage of your firewall or anti-virus software. Please look in your Task Manager for java(w).exe process and kill it if you're sure it's jD

You can always try to migrate slowly to newer versions if the old backup formats are no longer compatible. This might be a slow process though. Here are some older versions :- hXXp://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=440d0e65dc3b9b1019747bd91027d4ddaed3c187eb65c611
Old 17.11.2009, 15:17
JD Manager

disabling web/http scanning will not get you in more danger, because all files are still get scanned when they are on your disk. only difference is that they are scanned when on disk and not while downloading (which causes speeddrops, issues and more space needed for extra check)

Last edited by drbits; 01.06.2010 at 11:39.
Old 30.12.2009, 00:01
thesmiths

man my JD just crashed. and i lost all my links. this is insane.
Old 30.12.2009, 10:55
remi

Cool

First of all, you should now find out what caused jD's (i.e. Java's) crash.

It might be a virus program. Allow java.exe and javaw.exe in your firewall and virus software. Also disable html/web scanner in your virus software. Also move your jD folder to the c:\jdownloader folder and remove all write protections if you're running Vista/W7.

If you've solved that problem I would recommend you to make regular backups of your links. You'll find jD's backup functions in the File -> Save menu.

Besides that I keep my links, sources, additional info and passwords in a separate text file. I never lost anything, because I version that file and it's included in my daily, incremental backup of my disks.
Old 16.06.2011, 09:57
StreamLine

I lost mi download list when I installed new version of JRE. There are 76 backups in my backup folder. In JDownloader I'm missing a tool to recover links from a backup zip.
I'm stuck. :-(

Last edited by StreamLine; 16.06.2011 at 10:21.
Old 16.06.2011, 10:39
remi

Exit jD and extract your most recent backup file over jD's config folder.
Old 16.06.2011, 13:37
StreamLine

Quote:
Exit jD and extract your most recent backup file over jD's config folder.
Unfortunatelly, it doesn't work.
Old 16.06.2011, 13:40
remi

If you upgraded to java 1.6.0_26 then you need to read "Attention very important when upgrading to Java 1.6.0_26".
Old 16.06.2011, 14:48
StreamLine

Angry

Quote:
If you upgraded to java 1.6.0_26 then you need to read "Attention very important when upgrading to Java 1.6.0_26".
Are you joking?
I simply can't imagine an application that would delete data after 3rd party component update.
And I can't presume that JRE update will delete data in my computer. That's TRAGIC!!! There must be a way how to import download list from a backup ZIP file.
Old 16.06.2011, 15:04
remi

It's the first time I see this happen.

Quote:
The problem was caused by an internal change in the 1.6.26 update which was made for security reasons (apparently there was some hole in the logic used to handle the ImageIcon class and the manner in which it was changed made it incompatible with versions of the user and system icon archives created with earlier versions of Java).
You see to what an ImageIcon class security hole can lead.

You've only one way to go and that's downgrading. Remove all your java and install the 32 bits version of JRE 1.6 update 21. See "**External links are only visible to Support Staff**.
Old 16.06.2011, 15:53
StreamLine

I'm affraid there's something wrong with JDownloader. I have restored my system to June 15th but I'm still missing my download list. JRE on my PC is 6 Update 24.
Old 16.06.2011, 16:08
StreamLine

Downgrade to Java 6 21 did it! Thank you very much for your help.
Old 17.06.2011, 09:35
Polish Supporter

They (java developers) made some changes to the newest JRE and then application created with older versions of JRE are being incompatible?
So we can't upgrade to newest 6u26 JRE (we can't install security patches with this release) because jD will loose download list.
Very nice Oracle...

I don't know, but maybe jD developers should report it to Oracle as BIG bug in 6u26 and there are any other possibilities (when you have thousands links - finishing them and then upgrade is no real, quick solution) to resolve this problem.
Or maybe jD developers can create somekind of export/import (to XML? of course there would be still problems with DLC links) to help migrate links before and after java update?
Old 17.06.2011, 10:07
remi

I thought the problem only exists for the database files, not .dlc nor .jdc files.

If people first completely download their downloading links, remove the downloaded links and use the Save Linklist function, they'll only lose their configuration settings.
Old 17.06.2011, 11:57
Polish Supporter

remi: by DLC I mean links created via DLC container and already in database.

Loosing config settings is not such a big problem - it can be really quick restored (premium setting, jD settings etc).
The new (future) jD already keeps it's configuration in separate (json or encrypted ejs) files, so I think it's immune for such "improvements" in java core.
The problem are the links stored in database - when their number is small - the solution given by jD developers is ok, but when you're storing many links for future downloads or for checking if you already downloaded some files - there is a real problem.
So the best solution would be not simple database backup (links + config) but rather export/import feature (maybe only links - some work is already done because we can export links to XML using jD's web interface).
This would help if Oracle again messes sth with their java updates (I wonder what would happen if they make something similar with their databases: database created with older version missing records after updating database core... - the clients would eat them alive!
Old 17.06.2011, 12:21
remi

I wrote that the File -> Save Linklist function might do just what you want. Use that function before you upgrade, do the JRE upgrade and then load the .jdc container.

The config settings aren't that important for most people (like me), because they probably use the default settings, but some people pay for downloading or use the JD Unrar extension and have many passwords. The .rar passwords can be copied to a text file, but the accounts can't. Also reconnect scripts can be copied.

Orakel have always had database export/import utilities for their database systems.

Note that I would also prefer XML export/import because then I could do many more things with my links, but it doesn't exist in the stable version.