JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Notices

Old 16.05.2015, 15:07
faceless

Default How JD chooses which mirror it uses?

Hi,

I tried searching for a previous thread but I was unable to find one. So here goes:

How does JD2beta choose which mirror it uses? It seems completely random to me. JD1 picked the topmost mirror on the download list and tried it first, then it moved to the next one on the list, etc....

Is there any way to set preference on what mirror JD2beta chooses to try first? I would consider returning to previous JD1 behavior an improvement (i.e. try mirrors based on the order they appear in the download list).
Old 16.05.2015, 15:21
English Supporter

mirror is chosen based on a series of evaluations at the core.

* = download candidate (to see these different types, see account manager > usage rules tab)

premium account*
- candidate can be used && account enabled && account has traffic && hasCaptcha && hasAutoCaptcha
free account*
- candidate can be used && account enabled && account has traffic && hasCaptcha && hasAutoCaptcha
free non account*
- candidate can be used && hasCaptcha && hasAutoCaptcha

download queue is first tried based on
1) priority setting within downloadlink (set by packagiser, or user) <highest to lowest>, if all are the same level then treated equally.
2) account hoster download (accounts with unlimited traffic I think are preferred, to account with traffic figure, if all accounts have traffic, the most available is used first)
3) if has captcha/auto captcha
4) any IP restrictions (mainly free users, but can apply to account users also)

Not sure with 1 or 2, they could be inverted.

I haven't looked into this heavily though I believe this is how its works. Jiaz is best to comment on this!

raztoki

Don't fight the system, use it to your advantage. :]
Old 16.05.2015, 18:17
faceless

Quote:
Originally Posted by raztoki View Post
mirror is chosen based on a series of evaluations at the core.
raztoki
Seems pretty complicated. Is there any way to manually override the selection (i.e. try this hoster first, then move to this one, etc...)?
Old 17.05.2015, 11:06
JD Manager

JD will first find the next link. Here it takes in count the order/priority/forced state/waiting times/limits. In next step it finds mirrors to the link and then chooses best one of them (no waiting times, no captcha, premium if available)

So when you do not use mirrors, the order should be 1:1 the same as JD1
Please note that when you sort/filter the list it does NOT show the actual order of links that JD will check/try them. When a column has colored background -> you are in filtered/sorted view.

JD1: click on column header sorted the complete links
JD2: click on column header only sorts the VIEW, not the links
Old 17.05.2015, 12:46
faceless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
JD will first find the next link. Here it takes in count the order/priority/forced state/waiting times/limits. In next step it finds mirrors to the link and then chooses best one of them (no waiting times, no captcha, premium if available)
And in here lies the problem. When JD is choosing the mirror, it leaves out a key factor from the decision making:host download speed. For example, JD chooses mirror A (100 kB/s) over mirror B (2-5 MB/s) just to avoid 1 minute waiting time. A rather annoying illogical choice, especially with large files. Or in order to just avoid captchas, JD chooces mirror C (30 kB/s, no captchas) over mirror D (4-5 MB/s, captchas). A clear example of another bad decision.

So in other words: JD should prefer over 10 times faster hosts with short waiting times and/or captchas over slow hosts with no waiting time and/or captchas.

This is why I would prefer JD to choose the mirrors based on the order I put them in stead of just trying to figure out the right one based on bad logic.

Quote:
So when you do not use mirrors, the order should be 1:1 the same as JD1
Please note that when you sort/filter the list it does NOT show the actual order of links that JD will check/try them. When a column has colored background -> you are in filtered/sorted view.

JD1: click on column header sorted the complete links
JD2: click on column header only sorts the VIEW, not the links
Yes, I'm well aware of this difference. That is not the problem.
Old 17.05.2015, 13:20
English Supporter

And this is why the package customiser was created. Please create a rule that ranks based on your experiences/preferred rankings.
Settings > Packagiser
create package customiser rules and set higher (rank) priorities to hosters that have higher speeds.

Old 17.05.2015, 15:55
faceless

Quote:
And this is why the package customiser was created. Please create a rule that ranks based on your experiences/preferred rankings.
Settings > Packagiser
create package customiser rules and set higher (rank) priorities to hosters that have higher speeds.
I did try manually setting higher priority before, but it didn't have the desired affect on what mirror it JD chooses.

Anyway, I decided to try it again with packagiser. I created a rule that sets my preferred hosts to highest priority and any other host to lower priority. And still JD chooses a slow host with lower priority over a fast host with highest priority.:confused:
Old 17.05.2015, 15:59
English Supporter

are you sure that there aren't any wait times (IP limit) pending ?

Old 17.05.2015, 16:08
JD Manager

I will think about a simple solution to this. Yes you are right that speed is a factor not used in mirror decision. A very simple solution would be to disable mirror handling. Then JD will only use position/priority for candidate selection. Another possible solution would be to use priority as well for mirrors. then you could create packagizer rule to increase priority of your preferred host and jd will respect your choice in priority too. Or maybe add another settings tab where you can add hoster names and sort them to wished hoster list.
Old 17.05.2015, 16:22
English Supporter

or we create db of the average download speed for given host, prefer hosts with higher values. only problem with this is, users downloading many sim*chunks will/could negatively influence history.

Old 17.05.2015, 21:51
faceless

Quote:
I will think about a simple solution to this. Yes you are right that speed is a factor not used in mirror decision. A very simple solution would be to disable mirror handling. Then JD will only use position/priority for candidate selection. Another possible solution would be to use priority as well for mirrors. then you could create packagizer rule to increase priority of your preferred host and jd will respect your choice in priority too. Or maybe add another settings tab where you can add hoster names and sort them to wished hoster list.
Good suggestions, all of which would solve this problem. The first one sounds like easiest and simplest to implement, thus it's my personal favourite. The third one comes close second. I hope one of them will get implemented.

Quote:
are you sure that there aren't any wait times (IP limit) pending ?
No, there weren't any IP limit waiting times. Just the short wait time before download start.

Quote:
or we create db of the average download speed for given host, prefer hosts with higher values. only problem with this is, users downloading many sim*chunks will/could negatively influence history.
This is not my personal favourite solution. The risks of getting bad average values is the main reason for this. And the speed some times can vary quite a lot with the same host.
Old 18.05.2015, 11:56
JD Manager