JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Notices

Old 11.07.2021, 04:41
I will play nice!

Default Configure to automatically compress downloads to .7z upon completion?

I've noticed that if I navigate to my destination folder when using JDownloader 2, that it will save my downloads from my download list both in uncompressed and compressed forms - presumably it is first downloading the full uncompressed file, and then compressing it to .7z/.rar/.zip/ whatever archive format it's supposed to be. Either that or it's downloading the archived files first, then uncompressed them and saving a separate, uncompressed version, for whatever reason.

I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to configure JDownloader to automatically compress to .7z after it finishes downloading, instead of the original file format of whatever it's downloading? Seeing as it seems to be downloading both packed/unpacked files by default I imagine it's possible, but I can't find any setting to toggle. Curious if anyone has any experience with this, or knows an alternative download manager that'd support this function if JDownloader 2 doesn't.

Less important, but I'm also trying to figure out how to get JDownloader to stop storing separate uncompressed files. I'm not sure why it's doing this by default, but it's giving me a bunch of unnecessary stuff to delete. Ideally I'd be able to configure JDownloader to just download or download/compress to .7z, without leaving anything behind to clean up after completion. Any help would be really appreciated.
Old 11.07.2021, 11:52
JD Manager

@AndyDandy: JDownloader only decompress archives after download when supported archive format and you have setup JDownloader to do so (default yes). By default JDownloader doesn't delete the archive parts but you can change that in Settings->Archive Extractor ->"Delete Archive Files..." and "Delete Archive download links.."

Either you're adding the non compressed and compressed version of your files or, more likely, you download the compressed version and JDownloader does auto extract it but keep (default) the archive as well. Just change the settings as described. If you don't want to auto decompress, just disable Settings->Archive Extractor, upper right corner or via archive level via rightclick context menu
Old 11.07.2021, 11:54
JD Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyDandy View Post
Less important, but I'm also trying to figure out how to get JDownloader to stop storing separate uncompressed files.
What exactly do you mean by that? Can you give examples/screenshots?
Old 11.07.2021, 12:27
I will play nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
@AndyDandy: JDownloader only decompress archives after download when supported archive format and you have setup JDownloader to do so (default yes). By default JDownloader doesn't delete the archive parts but you can change that in Settings->Archive Extractor ->"Delete Archive Files..." and "Delete Archive download links.."

Either you're adding the non compressed and compressed version of your files or, more likely, you download the compressed version and JDownloader does auto extract it but keep (default) the archive as well. Just change the settings as described. If you don't want to auto decompress, just disable Settings->Archive Extractor, upper right corner or via archive level via rightclick context menu
Ah okay, I see the settings, I think I understand how it works now. So it looks like I had it backwards: JDownloader is downloading the archive first (as should be expected, I suppose), and *then* extracting the files second. In that case, I'm guessing that it isn't possible to configure it to repack the extracted files into a .7z archive. Or is it?

Quote:
What exactly do you mean by that? Can you give examples/screenshots?
Your first reply resolved that. I was referring to JDownloader extracting archive files after downloading; I just hadn't worded it properly because I wasn't fully understanding what was occurring: "was JDownloader somehow downloading the contents of archived files first and then packing them into an archive, or was it downloading the archive and then extracting the contents?" Obviously now, in hindsight, it's the latter.

But now that makes me curious: can JDownloader be configured to take those extracted files and repack them into a .7z archive, while maintaining the naming of the archive they were originally extracted from? (i.e. after JDownloader finishes downloading 'xyz.rar' and extracts its contents, it will then repack them into a new archive titled 'xyz.7z'.)

I've been using JDownloader for downloading lots of archived multi-GB files that aren't in .7z format. For me having everything in .7z archives would save me a lot of space as opposed to .zip or .rar, and I'm not very tech-literate so I don't think I can come up with another way to do this other than individually creating new archives, one by one. If I could set up my download manager to do this automatically as it's downloading the archives it would save me a lot of work.
Old 11.07.2021, 13:00
JD Manager

JDownloader doesn't support *compress my downloads* out of the box, because most ppl want to use the files and therefore have to extract them

In your case, why not simply disable auto extraction and keep the archive files? Or you could make use of Eventscripter script to auto compress your downloads/extracted files again into other archive format. See https://board.jdownloader.org/showthread.php?t=70525, you may ask in that thread for help or ask mgpai, our script master for help I'm sure mgpai will come around with nice little script that takes your extracted files and feeds them back into any standalone archive tool, like 7zip and compress the folder back into .7z file
Old 11.07.2021, 13:15
I will play nice!

Quote:
JDownloader doesn't support *compress my downloads* out of the box, because most ppl want to use the files and therefore have to extract them

In your case, why not simply disable auto extraction and keep the archive files? Or you could make use of Eventscripter script to auto compress your downloads/extracted files again into other archive format. See **External links are only visible to Support Staff**..., you may ask in that thread for help or ask mgpai, our script master for help I'm sure mgpai will come around with nice little script that takes your extracted files and feeds them back into any standalone archive tool, like 7zip and compress the folder back into .7z file
Thanks for the link, I'll check in that scripting thread next. Any idea how much would I be expected to figure out for myself, if you think you'd know? I've zero experience with scripting, so I'm hoping either that someone there can more or less carry me, or that there's a really simple solution for what I'm trying to do. Like, layman "drag & drop"-kind of simple.

Reason I want to be able to automate repacking into .7z is because of the size+quantity of files I'm downloading - think disc images. The size difference between .7z and other archive formats can mean space savings of up to maybe hundreds of gigs on my hard drive. Unfortunately 20+ TB hard drives aren't cheap enough yet for me to afford, so I have to look to efficient compression to save space.

Last edited by raztoki; 11.07.2021 at 15:54.
Old 12.07.2021, 10:30
JD Manager

Thanks for the explanation.
I'm sorry but there is no *drag/drop* or *really simple / out of the box* solution available.
But really try to ask mgpai for help with this topic.
It sounds fairly easy to achieve, just call an external archive tool to compress again a specific folder and then delete the files.
An alternative might be to try out the compression feature of existing file systems, of course not as powerful as 7z but at least transparent and you can still use the files as they are.
Old 13.07.2021, 04:28
I will play nice!

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation.
I'm sorry but there is no *drag/drop* or *really simple / out of the box* solution available.
But really try to ask mgpai for help with this topic.
It sounds fairly easy to achieve, just call an external archive tool to compress again a specific folder and then delete the files.
An alternative might be to try out the compression feature of existing file systems, of course not as powerful as 7z but at least transparent and you can still use the files as they are.
I figured there weren't going to be any easy solutions, oh well :p Off to the scripting thread for me then. Thanks for your help, much appreciated.
Old 13.07.2021, 10:47
JD Manager

Nothing to thank me for. I didn't provide an real solution, just showed some possible ways/solutions I'm confident mgpai will be able to help you
Old 10.07.2022, 16:18
Modem User

where you able to find a solution?

Quote:
Nothing to thank me for. I didn't provide an real solution, just showed some possible ways/solutions I'm confident mgpai will be able to help you
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyDandy View Post
I figured there weren't going to be any easy solutions, oh well :p Off to the scripting thread for me then. Thanks for your help, much appreciated.
Old 10.08.2022, 19:22
JD Manager

@avilioj: did you check this
Quote:
In your case, why not simply disable auto extraction and keep the archive files? Or you could make use of Eventscripter script to auto compress your downloads/extracted files again into other archive format. See https://board.jdownloader.org/showthread.php?t=70525, you may ask in that thread for help or ask mgpai, our script master for help I'm sure mgpai will come around with nice little script that takes your extracted files and feeds them back into any standalone archive tool, like 7zip and compress the folder back into .7z file