JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Old 29.07.2009, 01:07
search4bp

Default Some strange things happen...

in general I have to say that the program is very good...

although, there happened a few very strange things these days, which I want to report:

1) I had a list of 32 parts to download, of which 15 were downloaded completely and showed with the green checkmark. I wanted to restart the computer, so I left the jdownloader program with the red X, hitting <OK> and restarted the system. The next time I started jdownloader it showed all 32 parts to download, BUT... it showed just part 1 and 2 partially downloaded, the rest of the 15 already downloaded were shown as "to download"... I deactivated these 15 parts manually but there seem to be a possible problem with the update of the internal data...

2) These days I loaded a list of approximately 70 packages to download. The first part of let's say 20 went fine. All the rest was mixed up, the names of the files were not the same as the contents (RAR files with a name like NAME1.PART1.RAR asked at decompression time for another NAMEX part...), it was just horrible chaos. After deletion of the whole list, the complete reload of the list, everything was fine again. It seems that there might be a problem too (hint for the developers...)

3) Often (let's say in 4-5% of all cases) I get unfinished downloads with the message "can't write to hard disk", although enough space is available and there is no sign of another cause for this. Next packages can download just fine.

Would be cool if someone could tell me where I have to set which parameter to avoid such situation

Thanks
Old 29.07.2009, 01:10
Community Manager

1. Don't know.
2. Log please!
3."can't write to hard disk" is often caused by virus scanners/anti virus programms, too much chunks/downloads or really no permissions to write on the hard disk.

GreeZ pspzockerscene

Erste Schritte & Tutorials || JDownloader 2 Setup Download
Spoiler:

A users' JD crashes and the first thing to ask is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
Do you have Nero installed?
Old 29.07.2009, 02:22
search4bp

pspzocker... thanks for the fast response!

some comments:
1) just happened once, but is a sign that the developers forgot to update the internal data - at least in some cases
2) how should I do a log if it already happened? strangely enough it also wrote files into subfolders with a different name... a real chaos
3) interesting fact is that after 'resetting' these files the new download works like a charm, no problem at all - so it can't be the permission to write to the disk - too much chunks/downloads at the same time (?), I have a RS premium account and download 2 or 3 packages at the same time, each with 5 chunks - is that too much ?? - and the virus scanner is a no-no, because I have none running (behind a NAT, behind a hardwire firewall and behind a network router, all just hardware)... I am pretty sure that you have another problem and the error message is just not correct there (and as I found out, there are many others who have that kinda problem too)

nothing bad, don't feel insulted, I just try to help you a bit...

hugs
Judith
Old 29.07.2009, 03:59
Community Manager

Hmm strange.
I'am just making a plugin for turboupload.com and while testing how much downloads could run parallel i also got the "no permission to write to hard disk" error but dunno why...

Erste Schritte & Tutorials || JDownloader 2 Setup Download
Spoiler:

A users' JD crashes and the first thing to ask is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
Do you have Nero installed?
Old 29.07.2009, 08:45
Cochise92

Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by search4bp View Post
1) I had a list of 32 parts to download, of which 15 were downloaded completely and showed with the green checkmark. I wanted to restart the computer, so I left the jdownloader program with the red X, hitting <OK> and restarted the system. The next time I started jdownloader it showed all 32 parts to download, BUT... it showed just part 1 and 2 partially downloaded, the rest of the 15 already downloaded were shown as "to download"... I deactivated these 15 parts manually but there seem to be a possible problem with the update of the internal data...

3) Often (let's say in 4-5% of all cases) I get unfinished downloads with the message "can't write to hard disk", although enough space is available and there is no sign of another cause for this. Next packages can download just fine.
I have exactly the same problems.

For the point 1, it is actually annoying to loose the history of done downloads, When downloading on Mu I use Jd, but on others sites of file sharing I use also Free Download Manager, and that one keeps the history for several past years, avoiding me to dowload twice the same file.

By the way, FDM keeps the date when I added each download, something very usefull too but not yet usable in Jd...

Cordially.
Old 29.07.2009, 09:22
remi

Cool

Quote:
If you restart your computer without closing jD, jD will not memorise the status of the links you added during the last session with it.

Quote:
2) These days I loaded a list of approximately 70 packages to download. The first part of let's say 20 went fine. All the rest was mixed up, the names of the files were not the same as the contents (RAR files with a name like NAME1.PART1.RAR asked at decompression time for another NAMEX part...), it was just horrible chaos. After deletion of the whole list, the complete reload of the list, everything was fine again. It seems that there might be a problem too (hint for the developers...)
Try to find a repeatable scenario that can be transmitted to the developers, otherwise it's almost impossible to find the bug.
Old 29.07.2009, 14:43
borgelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspzockerscene View Post
Hmm strange.
I'am just making a plugin for turboupload.com and while testing how much downloads could run parallel i also got the "no permission to write to hard disk" error but dunno why...
well, there are several threads already describing that problem which hits many people.
it is also often said that antivirus apps have nothing to do with that error. i wont repeat what i said in the other threads, if ya are interested in solving the error just read there. theres absolutely not a single point which can make me think that av or firewall or such would cause this error...

it also has nothing to do with the number of chunks.
im using 1 chunk only and the error also happens here frequently.
Old 30.07.2009, 15:01
search4bp

interesting is also that I got last night one package with the "cannot write to hard disk" error, the file had the "part" extension and was obviously complete, so I deleted the "part" extension and the file unpacked without any flaw...

yesterday I had the next strange thing happen:
- I wanted to move 4 packages from the bottom to somewhere else in the list. So I highlighted them and moved them up and guess what: after that they were not together like before, they were distributed within the list... strange, strange

@remi
yes, I can understand that, but I closed the program properly BEFORE restarting... that makes me think a bit...
and also yes, I understand that, but loading the packages again, all went fine; my problem is to re-generate the same error in that case (but it's just a hint that something can go terribly wrong)
Old 31.07.2009, 12:06
remi

Cool

There are lots of such 'little', annoying bugs like that. When I use my 0.4 version of jD I get my share of surprises as well, so it wasn't perfect either. You get used to it and try to find ways to circumvent these bugs.

The problem with any software development is the uneven quality of the programmers. The code programmed by the the less experienced should be peer reviewed by those who have more experience. But no one likes trying to understand what someone else has programmed, especially when it is procedural code, which is basically high level machine code.

In the future, when hardware gets much faster, declarative approaches to software development will gain importance, making much more sophisticated and robust systems possible.