JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Notices

Old 12.01.2024, 13:08
Super Loader

Default What's the best quality variant? (YouTube)

I want the best YouTube video variant ― and I just downloaded the highest resolution available of a video, which is 480p, in mp4 ― and saw that it's worse quality than on YouTube. Then I downloaded the webm 480p version ― and it was the same quality as on YouTube.
But there was a problem ― moving one frame backward didn't work, in mpv. (I keep alot of snapshots for reference images for art.)
My question is - can I know which formats keep\have the best video quality? Maybe there's an article that explains what JD does in all the formats.
Old 15.01.2024, 13:05
Community Manager

There is no "best".
There are different audio qualities, video qualities, resolution and codecs.
See Settings -> Plugins - youtube

You can Google those codecs and so on to find the combination which is best suited for your needs.

Erste Schritte & Tutorials || JDownloader 2 Setup Download
Spoiler:

A users' JD crashes and the first thing to ask is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
Do you have Nero installed?
Old 15.01.2024, 18:50
Super Loader

Sorry, I don't see how your comment is relevant to my question.
I explained that the mp4 version was worse than the YouTube video. So there was a best\equal.
The combination was "(480p_30fps_H264-128kbit_AAC)." Where will it be stated that it's shitty quality? BTW - it was the default quality; which is suppose to be the highest.
Old 16.01.2024, 14:33
Community Manager

Please provide example URLs if you think that there is a (reproducible) bug.

For me, default YT settings work fine and return qualities of up to 1080p as "BEST".
Did you check the YT plugin settings in JDownloader?

Spoiler:

Quote:
Old 16.01.2024, 14:43
Super Loader

This is the video - **External links are only visible to Support Staff****External links are only visible to Support Staff**

Maybe the problem is only with 480p. Or just not with the higher resolutions? I remember that there was something different with 480p; YouTube wanted to cancel it, or something.

>Did you check the YT plugin settings in JDownloader?
What can I change there?
Old 16.01.2024, 14:58
Community Manager

I do not see any bug in our plugins here.
As stated before, the codec or format you want to use is your preference.
It looks like we currently prefer the "best mp4".

Also it is not only about "best" but maybe also about the container which most devices can play.
If we'd download a webm container by default, we would probably get a lot of tickets suggesting that the downloaded files can't be played on their <insert any old or picky device here>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAccident View Post
What can I change there?
Just about anything e.g. set it to permanently prefer a specific codec or ignore a specific filetype.
See Settings -> Plugins -> yt

Coming back to your question of the first post:
Quote:
Maybe there's an article that explains what JD does in all the formats.
I do not see the need for this.

Most of all users are fine with the current defaults.
The users who do care about specific formats/codecs will find out themselves.
Also we got plugins for several thousands of websites - we just don't have the capacities to write support articles for all of them.
JDownloader is a community driven project so you are free to contribute code or help-articles.

Spoiler:

Quote:
Old 16.01.2024, 15:19
Super Loader

Your comments just don't seem to relate to my question. Maybe you didn't read it carefully.
I said that the quality of the mp4 video was much worse than the video playing on YouTube; while the webm version seems the same quality.
So I wanted to know why that is. For instance - maybe the program does some kind of conversion to the video, which is very lossy. And maybe the webm version is without conversion (after all - it's Google project).
I wondered if anyone here knows something about it. I did not say it's a bug, or that people must know, or provide support.
Old 16.01.2024, 15:42
Community Manager

Quote:
Your comments just don't seem to relate to my question. Maybe you didn't read it carefully.
I said that the quality of the mp4 video was much worse than the video playing on YouTube;
I'm unable to answer that question.

What I would do in your case:
- Download the video with another software and compare the specs, use e.g. the free and open source application "yt-dlp" -> Check if that will give you a similar version and if that plays fine in your player
- and: Check the key parameters of that video in JD such as resolution, video bitrate, audio bitrate, codec -> Check if there are any known bugs in your player with such video files
- and: open the "stats for nerds" in youtube and check which video version YT is actually playing: Play the video -> Righclick anywhere in the video frame -> Click on "Display stats for nerds" (or similar - last point in menu)

What I can see is that the webm version indeed looks better - maybe it got less compression?
I'am not an expert at all when it comes to video files.

Quote:
But there was a problem ― moving one frame backward didn't work, in mpv. (I keep alot of snapshots for reference images for art.)
You seem to be assuming that the problem you got with your video player is related to JDownloader.
If I play the .webm video in VLC, skipping to other frames works just fine so based on this I could also just assume that the problem is related to your video player.
Did you already contact their support about this or have a look at their bugtracker?
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issues

Spoiler:

Quote:

Last edited by pspzockerscene; 16.01.2024 at 15:46. Reason: Fixed typo
Old 16.01.2024, 19:22
Super Loader

OK, I researched, and understood everything.
YouTube has 3 Encoding Codecs: H264(2003), VP9(2013), AV1(2018). And the quality improves with the year of creation.
So I'll choose AV1.
And you can choose to always play videos on YouTube in AV1: Click on your Avatar > Settings > Playback and performance > Always prefer AV1.
I don't have VLC. Are you sure moving 1 frame backward - works perfectly? I can move backward, but there are definitely glitches; and when making a snapshot ― sometimes it moves to the next frame, and makes the snapshot of that. I remember seeing a question about that in mpv support ― and the answer was that it's because of the encoding; probably related to Key-Frames, or something like that. Maybe I'll look into it, in the future.

Last edited by MrAccident; 16.01.2024 at 19:24.
Old 23.01.2024, 13:48
Community Manager

Thanks for your feedback.

I will mark this one as solved since I still don't see any JD related problem here.
The thread however will remain open so feel free to inform us if you find out anything more regarding the player you are using - it may be helpful for other users too.

Spoiler:

Quote:
Old 24.01.2024, 16:17
Super Loader

Researching it a bit more ― I understood that for Efficiency and Smaller Video-Size ― in some videos - Inter-Frames are used - instead of Intra-Frames. Intra-Frames is where every played frame ― is an actual Frame. Inter-Frames ― are created from information that shows changes between a Key-Frame to the next, and can't be viewed as a Frame of its-own. So Seeking Back - the Inter-Frames do not exist, or are created in an unusual way ― like going back to the previous Key-Frame, somewhere a second or more before. So to Seek Forward ― is a "natural behavior" for Players\Videos \ they are made to do this ― Backward is not.
I know that it's different for different files, for instance from different websites. So I guess that for some videos - all their frames are Key-Frames ― and for some - much less. In some videos, usually from the same website ― it's even impossible to continue to Seek Backward after a few frames, or it jumps somewhere forward in the video. BTW - I'm not using a Cache, so I created a Cache for 17 seconds ― and it didn't help, in mpv. (I'm not going to try VLC).
(edit:) The better versions can even be much smaller in size.
Thanks for replying.

Last edited by MrAccident; 25.02.2024 at 14:52.