JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Old 05.01.2018, 00:18
Baby Loader

Default Feature request: limit download speed of individual packages

Often there are times I would like to download multiple files at the same time from multiple hosts. Most of the time this is because one host is extremely slow and I want to use my available bandwidth to start another download to avoid wasting time.

Unfortunately, some combinations of hosts simply do not work for me. When one host is perfectly willing to max out my connection while the other wants to throttle the connection to 20 KiB/s, I find that the slower one often eventually slows more and more until it is disconnected. Considering many hosts have download limits, require CAPTCHAs, do not support resumable downloads, or some combination of these terrible features, one host eating so much bandwidth that the connection to the other host dies is extremely undesirable.

This has happened to me while using JDownloader countless times over the years despite moving multiple times, using several different computers, and at least five separate ISPs. It happened once again today. Yes, it does, in fact, happen.

Today, I tried to download a 700 MB file from Nitroflare, but they appeared to be throttling the connection down to 19.99 KiB/s. Because of this, I tried to download another file at the same time from Mega. Mega started maxing out the connection and immediately afterward the speed of Nitroflare dropped from 19.99 to 13 or so. A short while later, I looked again and it was at around 2 KiB/s. It eventually disconnected while Mega happily maxed out my connection.

As I mentioned earlier, I have seen this before countless times through many years on multiple computers, operating systems, and ISPs. But this time I have finally been inspired to make this suggestion.

Essentially, I would like to be able to right click on an individual package or multiple packages and tell JDownloader to limit the speed of these specific packages to only a reasonable number of my choosing based on my total available bandwidth and the number of downloads I am running. I want this to still be affected by the global speed limit. For instance, if I set the global speed limit at 5 MiB/s, I don't want any of the downloads going over that even if the individual packages were set to a higher number.

The global limit is nice and I frequently use it, but there is no way to use it to solve this problem. To make everything run perfectly, preferably while I am away from home or sleeping, I require more control than the global limit allows me. With this suggestion implemented I could allow packages with Mega and other faster or better hosts to use a very large portion of my bandwidth but not all of it, leaving enough for the package with Nitroflare to run at its pitiful 20 KiB/s for the next 10 hours or however long until it is finished.

This extra control would make JDownloader in general substantially more convenient for me. I doubt I am alone in this.

Thanks for your time, and have a nice day.
Old 16.01.2018, 14:16
JD Manager

Not that easy because the speed limiter at the moment works static. By *static* I mean, you setup a speed limit of X and JDownloader will assign X/currentNumberofDownloads to every Download, which then will limit each connection to downloadSpeedLimit/numberOfConnections.

A *per link*/*per package* speed limit requires a variable speed limit where different entities can be assigned differend speed limits.

Please also know that this does NOT solve the underlying issue with slower connections dying when faster ones are running at the same time. It is because JDownloader can only throttle the *receive rate* and not influence the *send rate*. That means a connection that only can receive max x speed, can easily be starved out by much faster connection.

Overall it is a more complex change and that's why the speed limiter hasn't been touched since long time