JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12.05.2010, 20:54
Giga Loader

Default Linkgrabber operation never completes, blocks reconnect

Twice in the last few days JD has gotten stuck with the Linkgrabber attempting to check the availability and details of file links from the clipboard. The Linkgrabber operation never completes and prevents JD from attempting a reconnect.

Here's what happened.

1. JD picks up new links from the clipboard. I had been using Firefox to access a web forum, which is where the file links came from. That shows my Internet access was working properly before the Linkgrabber operation started.

2. Linkgrabber starts to check the availability of the files. JD displays "Linkgrabber Operations are Pending" message.

3. The Linkgrabber display never changes and the online check of the new files never completes.

I immediately used the "open on browser" command and Firefox was able to bring up the file host web page and display details about the files. This worked for files in Rapidshare, Hotfile and Sharingmatrix. I happened to be queueing up files from those three file hosts in the most recent instance of this problem.

Since the "open in browser" command worked, it shows that my Internet access was working after the Linkgrabber operation had started.

I waited for a five or ten minutes for the Linkgrabber operation to complete. It never did.

4. I used the "continue with all" command to move all the file links into the download section anyway. JD started to download the files even though the online check hadn't occurred. No file name or size information appeared on the download screen for any of the files.

I left JD in that state for about 15-30 minutes while other files were downloading. The Linkgrabber operation never completed even though it was now empty.

5. After the some of the files in the queue completed downloading, JD didn't attempt a reconnect even though there were some files still in the queue.

6. When I manually started a reconnect operation, JD returned an error message, (typing from my memory) "Reconnect operation failed".

7. I exited JD and restarted it. After the restart, the reconnect worked and the files in the queue downloaded normally.

The first time this problem occurred, JD had been running for hours. The second time JD had just started up.

The following log file records everything from the moment JD was started through to the point where some of the files completed downloading and ends after I did the manual reconnect that eventually failed. After saving the log I exited JD.

The log file was too long to include as a text file in this post.

Here's a Rapidshare link to the file.

**External links are only visible to Support Staff****External links are only visible to Support Staff**

When you're finished, delete the file using this link:

**External links are only visible to Support Staff****External links are only visible to Support Staff**
Old 13.05.2010, 11:48
remi

You're using JRE 1.6.0_19-b04.

JRE version 1.6.0_17 32 bits ("**External links are only visible to Support Staff**) is the last version that's compatible with jD. Remove more recent versions.
Old 13.05.2010, 19:25
Giga Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by remi View Post
You're using JRE 1.6.0_19-b04.

JRE version 1.6.0_17 32 bits ("**External links are only visible to Support Staff**) is the last version that's compatible with jD. Remove more recent versions.
Is this a known problem with the later versions of Java?
Old 13.05.2010, 19:50
Community Manager & Admin (inaktiv)

Yes, please deinstall Java update 20 and install update 17 which you can find in our download section.
And please don't upload your log to hosts, there is already an upload function. You could have compressed and packed it, too, then you should be able to attach it. Anyway, obey our instructions.
Greetz

REGELN: Bugreports | RULES: Bugreports

Erste Schritte & Tutorials | Self Help Index | Read Me | JD 2 Beta - FAQ

Support Chat

Keep smiling, it's simple!

Last edited by Think3r; 13.05.2010 at 19:52.
Old 13.05.2010, 22:42
Giga Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think3r View Post
Yes, please deinstall Java update 20 and install update 17 which you can find in our download section.
And please don't upload your log to hosts, there is already an upload function. You could have compressed and packed it, too, then you should be able to attach it. Anyway, obey our instructions.
Greetz
A friend and I have been both running JD. Interestingly, he's been running JRE version 20 and I had been running v19 and he hasn't run into the problem. BTW, my friend and I are running identical hardware and software.

I reverted to v17 and the problem hasn't occurred yet. However, I think I'll install v20 and see if that triggers the bug.

BTW, I tried the log upload function and it wouldn't let me post the log file, there was an error message about my not being a supporter and that private information could be contained in the log.

Is there something inherently wrong about posting the log file to a file host? After all, isn't that why the file hosts (and JD) exist?

BBTW, I made sure the size of the log file was smaller than the size that triggers the RS timeout, although, of course, anyone using JD would almost certainly have turned on the reconnect feature.

I didn't see the file attachment option until you mentioned it just now. Thanks.

I read the bug report rules before I posted my report. I've attached the rules that I read below.

1. I don't see a rule about not using a file host for logs.

2. I don't see a rule about using a compressed attachment or the log upload feature.

3. AFAIK, I followed the rules. I included a log file, and the kind of complete description of the problem that as a programmer I like to get (but never have, ever).

4. If using a file host for logs or requiring the logs to be compressed as posted as an attachment is a requirement, the bug report rules should be changed to reflect those requirements.

5. There's a saying, "No good deed goes unpunished". After reading a million complaints about people not including log files, I get slagged for including one in a way that was not prohibited by the rules that I carefully read before posting. It makes me feel depressed. :(

Exclamation RULES: General Bugreport
1.Include a log!

2.Include screenshots if you found a gui bug.

3.Give us a good description of what is wrong.

4.Don't push your threads too early because pushing threads (too early) = spam!

Additional information:

-problems with hoster/decrypter plugins should be posted in the hoster/decrypter plugins forums, NOT here!
-hoster/decrypter plugin requests go to Suggestions and Wishes NOT here!

Last edited by weblurker; 13.05.2010 at 22:55.
Old 13.05.2010, 22:59

I never said you contravened the rules, I just mentioned it.
It's just easier for us not to download from a host with wait times, especially when there are ways like I demonstrated.
And yes, you can't see the Log for you are no supporter, but me.
Don't worry, I will revise the rules soon, I've been a little busy the last time.
Anyway, I suggest you keeping to update 17 for they might occur other errors in update 20.
Greetz

Support Chat

Old 14.05.2010, 01:09
Giga Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think3r View Post
I never said you contravened the rules, I just mentioned it.
It's just easier for us not to download from a host with wait times, especially when there are ways like I demonstrated.
And yes, you can't see the Log for you are no supporter, but me.
Don't worry, I will revise the rules soon, I've been a little busy the last time.
Anyway, I suggest you keeping to update 17 for they might occur other errors in update 20.
Greetz

Version 19 has some critical security fixes.

Is the plan for JD to forever freeze the JRE to use to ver 17?

I hope not because as time goes by JD users will be exposed to more and more security holes and will never benefit from JRE bug fixes. Check out the bug fix list for v18 and you'll see what I mean.

[forget the following paragraphs, I don't think the issue has anything to do with the JRE version, read the update at the bottom for details]

On a larger issue, have you communicated the problems JD has had with each new JRE update to Oracle/Sun? Obviously a new JRE shouldn't break existing code. The fact that each of the three new JRE versions causes bugs in JD is a disastrous turn of events for Java. They really ought to be informed about this situation.

BTW, on an even larger issue that has nothing to do with JD, Ive been astounded at the different kinds of bugs and experiences that I've read in this forum. As I mentioned, my friend and I use identical hardware and software, except he's been using JRE v20 and I had been using v19. He's never experienced the Linkgrabber problem I ran into.

I attended one of the very early seminars given by James Gosling back in the mid 90's. Java really wasn't supposed to be like this.

Update 1:

More irony. It appears that when I clipped the url for the bug list for JRE v18, JD picked up the url and attempted to process it through the Linkgrabber. At that point, the Linkgrabber froze and is still frozen as I type this update.

http://jdownloader.org/pastebin/1443

That's the url that the log upload feature returned. The log should show that I'm running JRE v17, not v19 or v20.

The Linkgrabber screen currently is displaying:

Unchecked[1]
6u18.html#bugfixes-1.6.0 http links not checked.

That's obviously the JRE v18 bug fix list.

It's been about 5 minutes and the Linkgrabber is still stuck.

As a test I clipped a randomly chosen link from DepositFiles. The new link appeared in the Linkgrabber queue but wasn't processed.

I'm certain that the last time the Linkgrabber failed, it had picked up an http link of an article I clipped to email to a friend.

Update 2:

After waiting for a long time (maybe 20-30 minutes), the Linkgrabber screen eventually cleared. There must be a very long timeout when Linkgrabber encounters something unusual in an http link. Or it might be recursively chasing down subsequent child links found on the parent web page.

However, the automatic reconnect didn't work. I had to initiate a manual reconnect, which did work. Again, this is all occurring with JRE v17.

Update 3:

I updated to JRE v20. The JD screen updates and overall feel is much faster than with v17.

That link will cause the Linkgrabber to go into some kind of loop, it starts to check the online status of the file but never finishes.

My friend was able to reproduce the error with that link. He found that he could abort the Linkgrabber operation by clicking on the red "x" that is to the right of "Checking online availability". That worked for me as well.

That url is an obfuscated link that some forums use.

Update 4:

I downgraded to JRE v17 and tried that link and had the very same problem. So when running either v17 or v20, the JD linkgrabber falls into the same hole and gets stuck. It really doesn't look like it's a problem related to the JRE version.

Last edited by weblurker; 14.05.2010 at 10:06.
Old 14.05.2010, 11:20
remi

Thanks for reading and obeying the rules. You're a rare, but also logically thinking person. I like that.

You're right, the Linkgrabber should say that the file can't be found, but it doesn't. It sees an http link and continues "Checking online availability...", even after I deleted the link. The abort feature works and I'm running a rather old JRE. The Sun's bugfixes link has the same problem. I think it'll be a minor bug in the Linkgrabber. The links contain special characters (@ and #).

I'm not going to discuss why jD is not compliant with JRE update 18, 19 and in some cases 20. I can only observe that most recent problems have been solved by returning to update 17. Some people are successfully running update 20. Update 18 probably had many bugs that weren't solved in update 19.

The jD Team mainly exists of volunteering students and they're preparing for their exams. A new release would come out soon. That was promised a month ago. I think it would be wise to wait until the current jD can run under the most recent JRE. This would avoid all confusing discussions about who's responsible for potential bugs.

Please, wait for a developer or supporter for analysing your log.
Old 14.05.2010, 11:53
JD English Support (inactive)

Thank you for the feedback. However, our tests show significant problems with Java 6u18-6u20. Sun is chasing after Windows "7" compatibility and appears to have added some serious problems. We will continue to test each new JRE version carefully.

Sun's reported security hole fixes generally have to do with running Java applets inside insecure environments such as Internet Explorer, not running Java programs. I expect that after the release of Windows 6.1 sp1 (this is what comes after Windows "7"), the next release of Java will be more stable.
------------------
I believe the problem you are describing has been fixed in the Nightly test release of JDownloader. I cannot recommend that you change to it right now, because there are some issues. However, if you could supply some more trouble links, I will test them in the Nightly release. Right now, I only have the link in message 7 update 3.
Old 15.05.2010, 02:39
Giga Loader

Quote:
Thanks for reading and obeying the rules. You're a rare, but also logically thinking person. I like that.
I've been programming for a very long time and have received a lot of confusing and contradictory bug reports from end users. There's nothing wrong with that, most people aren't used to the need for precision and detail that a good bug report requires.

Quote:
You're right, the Linkgrabber should say that the file can't be found, but it doesn't. It sees an http link and continues "Checking online availability...", even after I deleted the link. The abort feature works and I'm running a rather old JRE. The Sun's bugfixes link has the same problem. I think it'll be a minor bug in the Linkgrabber. The links contain special characters (@ and #).
It's good that you were able to reproduce the problem.

It appears that there are two bugs, one that the Linkgrabber never completes the online check and the other is that deleting the http links doesn't abort the checking process.

However, once my friend discovered that clicking on the abort button works, that easy workaround meant the problem became just a very minor annoyance.

Quote:

I'm not going to discuss why jD is not compliant with JRE update 18, 19 and in some cases 20. I can only observe that most recent problems have been solved by returning to update 17. Some people are successfully running update 20. Update 18 probably had many bugs that weren't solved in update 19.
My friend and I have been running JRE v17, 18, 19 and now 20 with no problems, other than the Linkgrabber bug. OTOH, JD has a very broad range of support for file hosts and I only use a handful of file sources.

Hopefully the JD team will have time to get things tested and running under the most recent JRE. It's always a PITA for everyone involved to have to stick to an old version of a runtime system or library.
------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbits View Post
Thank you for the feedback. However, our tests show significant problems with Java 6u18-6u20. Sun is chasing after Windows "7" compatibility and appears to have added some serious problems. We will continue to test each new JRE version carefully.
Is there a list of those problems somewhere on this forum? I'd be very interested in see what kinds of bugs have been introduced by Sun with the later JREs.

Gosling has left Oracle/Sun and I've noticed that the Java libraries have slowly drifted downwards in quality. Maybe the JRE problems are consistent with the other problems with Java.

Quote:
I believe the problem you are describing has been fixed in the Nightly test release of JDownloader. I cannot recommend that you change to it right now, because there are some issues. However, if you could supply some more trouble links, I will test them in the Nightly release. Right now, I only have the link in message 7 update 3.
All the troublesome links are just minor variants of the link in update 3, so if the problem has been fixed in the nightly build, that should be the end of the issue.

Edit:

For the record, I didn't request that the double post be edited.

Last edited by weblurker; 16.05.2010 at 20:04. Reason: Removed double post at user request. ** I didn't request this change
Old 15.05.2010, 02:57
weblurker
Message deleted by drbits. Reason: Elimination of double post
Old 15.05.2010, 11:18
remi

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by weblurker View Post
Is there a list of those problems somewhere on this forum? I'd be very interested in see what kinds of bugs have been introduced by Sun with the later JREs.
To my knowledge there is no such list, but there are plenty of threads in the forums mentioning problems that have been solved by returning to update 17.

Just using "1.6.0_17" as the search string I found 169 threads. Some have a log that members can have a look at.

Is it possible that Oracle are silently killing Sun's java?
Old 15.05.2010, 18:12

Guys, back to topic, please!
@weblurker: No double posts, use the edit function. Did you already test Java Update 20?
Anyway, this thread is solved.
Greetz

Support Chat

Old 15.05.2010, 20:06
Giga Loader

Post blanked out.

Last edited by weblurker; 16.05.2010 at 20:05. Reason: Post blanked out, I decided to abandon the discussion with Think3r.
Old 15.05.2010, 20:26

I DID read the posts, I actually referred to
Quote:
I reverted to v17 and the problem hasn't occurred yet. However, I think I'll install v20 and see if that triggers the bug.
but I didn't look over it once again so I oversaw your edit (I knew the rest by heart).
Even when answering to different posts you can put that in one post.
Last but not least, I am NO dev but I know that the devs are thinking about a solution.
Until then we will have to continue this way.
Greetz

Support Chat

Old 15.05.2010, 20:32
weblurker
Message deleted by drbits. Reason: user request
Old 15.05.2010, 20:42
weblurker
Message deleted by drbits. Reason: user request
Old 15.05.2010, 20:46

*Sigh* I think we're talking at cross purposes...
But you're free to create such a list.
Greetz

Support Chat

Old 16.05.2010, 07:11
JD English Support (inactive)

Double posts removed and posts deleted as requested.
-----------------------------------------------------
Jiaz has submitted a list of bugs (a subset) to Sun. There is a board there for the purpose and others have added to the list. There is no need to search this site for the bugs, Jiaz has done it.
You are free to use any version of Java 1.6 you want with JDownloader. We just advise a specific version, because it works better. If you want our help, following our advice is a good idea.
Old 16.05.2010, 20:24
Giga Loader

Quote:
Double posts removed and posts deleted as requested.
I didn't make the edit request. This is the first forum I've encountered that asks users to collect all replies into one post. The reason that is frowned upon is that the second reply will often be missed by the poster to whom the reply was written.

However, it is very disturbing for moderators to apply rules that don't appear in the FAQ or rules section of the forum. I'll follow rules as long as they're clearly stated. But applying rules and conventions that no one knows about, I don't understand that.

Quote:
Jiaz has submitted a list of bugs (a subset) to Sun. There is a board there for the purpose and others have added to the list. There is no need to search this site for the bugs, Jiaz has done it.
I'll PM Jiaz about that. I searched the Sun/JRE bug database and developer forum posts for "Jiaz" and found only a couple of posts about remote process invocation. He appears to have register and posted under the same nym, but I'll find out from him directly.

Quote:
You are free to use any version of Java 1.6 you want with JDownloader. We just advise a specific version, because it works better. If you want our help, following our advice is a good idea.
All I can tell you is that I've been using JRE v18, v19 and v20 with no problems and that the issue I reported in this thread occurred with v17 and v20. It was not JRE version specific.

I've decided to run v20 because it has closed some security holes that are common to all Java apps and I haven't seen any version specific bugs. JRE v20 also handles screen updates much better than v17, along with much lower cpu utilization.

It's very possible users on other operating systems or who use other file hosts have experienced JRE version specific problems. I haven't yet, so using the newer and safer JRE would appear to be a no brainer, no problems with better security.

Last edited by weblurker; 16.05.2010 at 20:27.
Old 16.05.2010, 20:35

Why are so bent on the double post's issue? I just mentioned it, additionally rules will be revised soon.
All that can be said concerning this topic is said (thanks for testing), so:

Greetz

Support Chat

Closed Thread