JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Old 02.06.2018, 16:15
JD Fan

Default Videos from twitch no longer have thumbnails/time info on file

The videos still seem to be fine (I haven't watched one in full, just skimmed through), it's just recently when using Jdownloader 2 to download twitch videos, no thumbnail loads and there's no info on how long the file is if you just click on it.

Probably not a big deal, but thought I'd point out that this is happening now.

Tried with a few videos, including for example : **External links are only visible to Support Staff****External links are only visible to Support Staff**, **External links are only visible to Support Staff****External links are only visible to Support Staff**

Using the latest Jdownloader 2 with Windows 7. All previously downloaded videos have had thumbnails and video length info available, it seems this is a fairly recent thing as I downloaded a video on May 30th and it has a thumbnail. (It's also worth noting, youtube videos seem to download fine with thumbnail and video length info intact)

Edit : It seems to be happening for larger files only? Around 4.5 gigs plus seems to be producing no thumbnail or file info.

Last edited by Xirix; 03.06.2018 at 10:43.
Old 04.06.2018, 11:32
JD Manager

JDownloader just downloads the video via ffmpeg. There have been no recent changes.
Thumbnail is generated by your OS/file explorer. JDownloader does NOT embed one into the video file. Maybe there has been some update in OS/file explorer/Playback tool?

What player do you use for playback? Is playback okay? Can you still seek the video? Download is complete? no .part file?

Last edited by Jiaz; 04.06.2018 at 11:36.
Old 04.06.2018, 14:57
JD Fan

I watched about two hours of one and it seems to be fine, it appears to be downloaded properly, no .part files, and I'm able to skip around too, just the thumbnail and info missing on larger files.

I use MPC for playback, I haven't updated my OS (last windows update was 10th of May for me, way before this started happening), media player or anything else. So I'm not entirely sure why this is now happening.

It is worth noting, I did an experiment by downloading a video I already had downloaded before this issue, the filesize is different (the size on disk filesize is the same however, I guess that's the important one?)

Last edited by Xirix; 04.06.2018 at 14:59.
Old 04.06.2018, 15:13
JD Manager

Filesize may vary because of different quality for same resolution or re-encoded vs chunked original. JDownloader does only feed the segments into ffmpeg that merges the segments into one playback file.
Maybe the video itself is cause of *no thumbnail*? Maybe the scene was black for that moment? Or maybe some sort of error log of MPC?

Do you mean thumbnail in Windows or your Playback software?
Old 04.06.2018, 15:45
JD Fan

In windows, if I have the folder with the video in it, on thumbnail view (well, large icons I guess). It usually also says how long the video file is in the info at the bottom if I click on it, that's also absent, again... only on files larger than about 4.5 gigs. The smaller ones I have gotten have no issue.

Also I always grab the chunked version, this was the case for my little experiment, it wouldn't be much of a valid experiment if I didn't download the same video on the same quality.
Old 04.06.2018, 15:58
JD Manager

Maybe the window preview only works on smaller files or has file size limit. Or the thumbnail cache is damaged and requires a reset?

tenforums.com/general-support/99003-why-do-my-video-icons-no-longer-show-thumbnail-video.html

raymond.cc/blog/display-thumbnail-preview-video-files-windows
Old 04.06.2018, 16:05
JD Fan

It definitely worked on larger files before, I have 12-25 gig videos downloaded from twitch that have the thumbnails.

Yeah I guess if Jdownloader isn't at fault something else must be wrong, I'll look into resetting the cache and such then. Thanks for narrowing the options.
Old 04.06.2018, 16:06
JD Manager

Nothing has changed on JDownloader site. Maybe you can use analyse tools to check older and newer larger videos and check for differences. maybe slight codec changes....
Old 04.06.2018, 16:39
JD Fan

Clearing the cache did nothing. Er, yeah I'll use mediainfo or something to compare. But it's worth noting, I just downloaded a 360 meg video, and it has no thumbnail... so perhaps it is a codec thing, or some kind of minor twitch change with some videos.

I'll look into these.
Old 04.06.2018, 17:03
JD Manager

Thanks for the feedback! I guess comparing old/new files with mediainfo should bring some light into this