JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Go Back   JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH > English Support > Suggestions & Requests

Old 30.06.2013, 22:57
Nichtraucher

Default JDownloader as Offline-reader?

Hi Lads

Every once in a while, I need a webpage/an entire homepage eg. for offline usage. I've used Httrack previously that I find -to some extend-a bit complicated. JDownloader is awesome to download (individual) files so I tested it with a couple sites but it -if I'm not mistaken- does not mirror the site structure correctly.
a) Is there a way to do this with JDownloader?
b) If not, can I suggest this as a future additional option?

I don't know how many people use offline-readers nowadays but thought that it makes sense as JDownloader already does something very similar. This way, you'd have two programs in one.

cheers
Old 01.07.2013, 00:54
flubshi

Hi Nichtraucher,

as far as I know there is no such an option for JDownloader. As you said JDownloader is for downloading files from a webpage but not to mirror a whole site. In my opinion httrack is a better choice here (I used it a few years ago to mirror webpages).
a) I think there is no offical way to do this.
b) If you are able to write Java code: checkout the JDownloader from SVN and create a decrypter plugin - this might be an individual solution for you.

But I think there will never be such an option in jdownloader because its an other focus. Sry!
Old 01.07.2013, 14:49
English Supporter

Sorry declined, We are not mirroring/spider software.

Please use a specific program todo your desired task, as JD is not deigned in the manner you are wanting it to behave. Nor do we want to create those functions.

Thankyou
raztoki

Don't fight the system, use it to your advantage. :]
Old 02.07.2013, 20:00
Nichtraucher

Quote:
Originally Posted by raztoki View Post
We are not mirroring/spider software.

[...]as JD is not deigned in the manner you are wanting it to behave.

That's the point, hence my request.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raztoki View Post
Nor do we want to create those functions.
Could you elaborate that, please?
Old 03.07.2013, 11:18
Tera Loader

@ Nichtraucher, why don't you try these?
This is much better than HTTrack, trust me! For those who can't afford to buy, there's a way!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichtraucher View Post
JD is not an offline local directory browser, for sure. Keep it for the purpose it is built. Otherwise, complexiety and size of the program will unduly increase. There are excellent Offline Browsers available in the market, but there's nothing like JD (at least, no one is parallel, or even anywhere near it...
Spoiler:
Mipony, Cryptload, USDownloader are just kids!!!

;-)

Quote:
Cool down mate! What's more to explain? Check other programs on SoftPedia or similar sites (CNet, BrotherSoft, SoftwareInformer,FileHippo etc.).

Spoiler:

All links were Google-anonymized at Goo.gl for allowing visibility to Non-supporter Members.

~:TheDJ:~

Last edited by DJwa163; 03.07.2013 at 11:46.
Old 03.07.2013, 19:59
Nichtraucher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJwa163 View Post
why don't you try these?
I use Linux.

Quote:
Cool down mate! What's more to explain?

Keep it for the purpose it is built. Otherwise, complexiety and size of the program will unduly increase.
That nails it, thank you.

I didn't mean to be offensive, I just wanted an explanation (no matter what that would be) as I found raztokis' reply not very informative.

cheers and keep up the good work

/addendum:

Some time ago I had an argument with a developer for one pdf-editing software for Linux. The reason why he didn't want to add more functionality to his software was his personal "philosophy of software-developing" and the way users should use software. Under the given circumstances his reply gave me some "interesting insight".
Old 03.07.2013, 20:37
Tera Loader

Quote:
I use Linux.
Oops! Never used Linux!!!
BTW, Here's some alternatives:
Spoiler:

Quote:
I didn't mean to be offensive, I just wanted an explanation (no matter what that would be) as I found raztokis' reply not very informative.
That's all right! We're all a family...

Quote:
That nails it, thank you.
Some time ago I had an argument with a developer for one pdf-editing software for Linux. The reason why he didn't want to add more functionality to his software was his personal "philosophy of software-developing" and the way users should use software. Under the given circumstances his reply gave me some "interesting insight".
My personal belief is coherent to his, softwares must be "Master of One/Some Trades", rather than "Jack of All..."
Diversifying functionality may lead to increased number of bugs, exponentially increased maintenance job and loss of precision. It needs more person-hours, because every new set of function is developed and maintained by a separate set of developers (Like Adobe's)... Multifunctional sofwares nedds huge team-work, and professionalism. Sometimes, unfortunately its beyond our scopes...
JD is a multi-platform freeware that already has a great burden of update/maintenance work, because new file hosters are coming up everyday, and the older ones change their scripts anytime without any clues... Developers are already doing the best they can. We must try to understand their sides, they are human beings after-all. They have responsibilities beyond JD... And they don't earn from it...
Keeping it simple will give them some space to breathe...

Hope you won't disagree.
cheers and keep up the good work

Old 03.07.2013, 22:04
Tera Loader

Two Firefox addons had similar functions...

FoxySpider
Send To My Cloud

Old 03.07.2013, 23:28
Nichtraucher

Quote:
Hope you won't disagree.
In the case of Jdownloader, yes.
In my case I had to use six different programs at the same time, each with a different user-interface/look and feel to finish something that I could do under windows with just one. When I questioned the developer about adding some functionality that I desired he said that he thinks that it is in general better to have seperate programs for each functionality, which for me as the end-user sounded kinda arrogant (and which is also often being cited as the lack of success of Linux Distros).

cheers
Old 04.07.2013, 07:55
Tera Loader

Quote:
In the case of Jdownloader, yes.
In my case I had to use six different programs at the same time, each with a different user-interface/look and feel to finish something that I could do under windows with just one.
That's the reason I refrained from booting into Linux. I used UBUNTU once, but in a Virtual Machine (VirtualBox). So you may do the reverse, get VirtualBox for Linux
Spoiler:

VirtualBox for Linux OS
OR
SoftPedia

Tutorials that may help
Here OR Here

and use a temporary/trial OR permanent Virtual Machine booting with an Windows OS...
Spoiler:

That's probably a better idea. Windows will definitely enhance your degree of freedom allowing a lexicon of 3rd party programs to operate in it, specially when your doing highly sophisticated jobs.

Quote:
When I questioned the developer about adding some functionality that I desired he said that he thinks that it is in general better to have seperate programs for each functionality, which for me as the end-user sounded kinda arrogant (and which is also often being cited as the lack of success of Linux Distros).
Problem with linux is that masses use Windows, so 3rd party developers are kinda "reluctant"... though I shouldn't have used that phrase. I'd didn't mean to hurt them, but its reality, even they are aware of. Its due to so-many different linux distributions and scarcity of users (compared to Windows or even Mac). No one can change the scenario until linux at least attains 1/3 of all PCs worldwide, which is by far not possible in any foreseeable future...
So, better switch to Windows, or at least have a Windows Virtual Machine with a sizable dynamic RAM (2-3 GB) & Disk space.

Old 04.07.2013, 11:43
Nichtraucher

Quote:
So you may do the reverse, get VirtualBox for Linux
Yes, I already do that.:)

Quote:
I'd didn't mean to hurt them, but its reality, even they are aware of. Its due to so-many different linux distributions and scarcity of users (compared to Windows or even Mac). No one can change the scenario until linux at least attains 1/3 of all PCs worldwide, which is by far not possible in any foreseeable future...
In this case (software for editing pdf-files) it seems to me that it's not about the manpower or the scarcity of users but rather the willingness of developers to work together. It sometimes seems Linux Developers and their users are actually proud of living in their own (free, uncommercial, technically minded) Nutshell - and gladly give up user friendliness to retain this status.
Old 04.07.2013, 19:17
English Supporter

Sorry forgot to click submit reply.

Quote:
well JD is designed to grab select items not entire websites.

Quote:
Sorry I have already declined, we don't want this behaviour within JDownloader.

No lengthy reply from me this time, a strapped for time these days.

raztoki

Don't fight the system, use it to your advantage. :]