JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Notices

Old 13.04.2015, 02:55
Llamatron

Default Compiling JD2 - do plugin updates still work?

I've been thinking about maybe tweaking the code for JD2 or a plugin myself, but didn't want to lose out on auto-updates for plugins and so on.

http://jdownloader.org/knowledge/wik...nt/get-started explains how to get JD2 compiled and running, but doesn't say anything about whether plugin updates will still happen on the fly without restarting JD2.

I want to have to do a lot of work to maintain a locally-modified JD2 while merging upstream changes, esp. for plugins.

Or the other way to go about this, if I just wanted to modify a plugin, and load that into my already-running JD2, how would I go about doing that?

Also, have you guys thought about using git (or hg, but I like git) instead of SVN? That would make it easy for people to send you changes for you to review and then commit, instead of just giving full SVN write access to every new contributor. You can try out the git way of doing things without actually changing over right away, using git-svn to do a git-checkout from your SVN server. You can do SVN commits through git that way.
Old 13.04.2015, 04:11
English Supporter

So your choices are running JD from IDE will mean no updates from update network and also means IDE has to be open. If you want to still run public BETA (has some benefits like Container support and updates), you will need to make your changes for personal use by, copying existing class (give it a new name) and change the interface level + 1 (JD will load the highest interface level). Copy over the new class files to your standalone version (require shutting down, copying class', and restarting). Doing this will mean you will need to maintain updates to those custom plugins as they are now a new class and higher interface.

re: GIT
Since you need to sign your life away before adopting users code to JD repositories, Appwork wont merge users code without that agreement. Supplying outside of having SVN access can be done easily enough via submitting a patch (under team right click context > create patch). I don't see Appwork changing to GIT anytime soon, it's been discussed before (in our development channel).

Don't fight the system, use it to your advantage. :]
Old 13.04.2015, 10:38
Llamatron

TYVM, that looks like exactly what I needed to know. Sounds like either way I can't get an updated hoster plugin into a running JD2, though? I was hoping to push local plugin changes into a running JD2, like what the plugin update mechanism can do.

re: git. Ok, that makes sense. The dev get-started page didn't say anything about submitting patches, which surprised me since that seemed like an obvious first step for new contributors. The nice thing with git for accepting patches is that you can send a patch as a git commit, and when it's applied the commit author is still the person that wrote it.

But if SVN works well enough for what you guys do, then I guess keep using it.

Locally, I can just use git-svn myself to let me use the tools I know, and make it easy to rebase my patches against current upstream before submitting.
Old 13.04.2015, 11:14
JD Manager

You can, just compile the plugin and put it in your running copy. Just use different Plugin name for customized ones, then your customized plugin will not be overwritten by updates.
But this only works with plugins.
Old 13.04.2015, 11:15
JD Manager

And no, own compiled versions are not connected to updated servers.
Old 13.04.2015, 12:48
English Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamatron View Post
TYVM, that looks like exactly what I needed to know. Sounds like either way I can't get an updated hoster plugin into a running JD2, though? I was hoping to push local plugin changes into a running JD2, like what the plugin update mechanism can do.
sure you can via the method I stated above,
create your own copy
change interface number
copy the class over (from bin directory) to jd2

if you don't do it in that fashion and your running JD2 with updater, soon as someone commits changes the updater will replace your modified class with the updated one.

Quote:
re: git. Ok, that makes sense. The dev get-started page didn't say anything about submitting patches, which surprised me since that seemed like an obvious first step for new contributors.
not many submit patches or even ask for SVN access.

Quote:
The nice thing with git for accepting patches is that you can send a patch as a git commit, and when it's applied the commit author is still the person that wrote it.
not really an issue, next to none via traditional patches or very few requests to even have SVN access.

Quote:
But if SVN works well enough for what you guys do, then I guess keep using it.
ain't broke, don't fix? *shrugs*

Don't fight the system, use it to your advantage. :]