JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Notices

Old 15.09.2017, 01:54
Mega Loader

Default JDownloader on NAS - General questions

I'm looking to buy a NAS device and there's a few questions that I'm stuck with.

1. What is the user experience with JDownloader on a NAS? Is it exactly like it is on a desktop/laptop or is MyJdownloader your only coice when running JD on a NAS?

2. I suppose you can run JD on your client device and save the downloads directly to your NAS, correct?

3. What are the minimum recommend system requirements for Jdownloader 2? I'm doubting about getting a Intel cpu or ARM to save some money. And I'm not sure about the amount of RAM JD2 needs when you have a big downloadlist.

4. Support wise, what's the best brand to get right now when using JD2 on a NAS? I'm thinking about Synology or QNAP. Or maybe Asustar or Western Digital.
Old 15.09.2017, 10:58
JD Manager

1.) JDownloader running on NAS/embedded device has no GUI. So at the moment you have to use MyJDownloader Webinterface/Apps/Browser Extensions/Tools/self written tools to control your JDownloader. We also have remote control via JDownloader GUI on todo list. MyJDownloader API is open. You can develop your own tools for it

2.) JDownloader running on your NAS/embedded device allows you to turn off your computer while downloads are running.

3.) I've seen JDownloader running on 64MB device with 1 arm core. It heavily depends on number of links you want to manage. For *normal* usage JDownloader should have access to 192-256MB memory. It really depends on the linklist sizes. With enough memory you can easily manage millions of links.
JDownloader only requires Java support on your hardware, https://support.jdownloader.org/Know...bedded-devices
Extraction is supported out of the box on arm linux, intel windows/linux/freebsd..., mac.
You can also compile native extraction library if your system is not supported yet.

4.) Officially there is no support for Synology or QNAP. But for those devices there are many tutorials out there and also ready2use 3rd party packages for package center. In the end you can also do the manual installation that does exactly what you want/how you want it.
But of course we do out best to help in case there are problems.

Feel free to ask more if you have further questions.
Old 15.09.2017, 16:39
Mega Loader

Thanks for answering my questions. I just did some monitoring on JD2 and according to Windows task manager it currently uses around 310MB of memory while doing absolutely nothing. At the moment I have over 5500 links in the download list and a little over 400 in the LinkGrabber.
I should probably be looking for something that has at least 2GB of RAM for all of my needs (centralized storage + downloadserver).
Old 15.09.2017, 16:43
JD Manager

320mb virtual memory. And the more memory your system has, the more max heap java will use by default. You can easily run those numbers with lot less memory. Also GUI version requires more memory than headless version
Old 15.09.2017, 22:43
Mega Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
320mb virtual memory. And the more memory your system has, the more max heap java will use by default. You can easily run those numbers with lot less memory. Also GUI version requires more memory than headless version
Thanks for the info. But I want with GUI!

I totally forgot that was virtual memory. I looked in another Windows tool ("broncontrole" in Dutch) and it says it's 656,15MB combined. I should go for at least 2GB of RAM.

Last edited by henshin; 15.09.2017 at 23:55.
Old 18.09.2017, 12:15
JD Manager

Even with GUI you don't need 2GB of RAM But I really suggest to use headless JDownloader and use MyJDownloader to control it