JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Notices

Old 23.07.2016, 20:13
TsunamiZ

Arrow New Java update, and now I need a new .exe launcher for JD2, for StrokeIt...

Hi Jiaz, in reference to this thread...

https://board.jdownloader.org/showthread.php?t=65126

...you told me to email you if I needed a custom .exe launcher for the .jar version of JD2. Well, I haven't needed it yet, because I've been using the .exe launcher from JD1 for JD2, and it has been working fine. Until today, I updated Java and now whenever I start JD2 via the JD1 .exe, I get a popup that says...

"The registry refers to a nonexistent Java Runtime Environment installation or the runtime is corrupted.

The system cannot find the file specified."

...so I'm forced to use the .jar launcher for now. Note that I downloaded the "(MULTIOS JAR without Installer)" for portable, and I need an .exe because my StrokeIt mouse gesture program requires it. I'm trying to make a mouse gesture to launch JD2 and it only supports .exe.

I'm on Win7 x64, but I think the .jar JD2 is x86.

Due to the new Java update, do you now need to update JD2 to be compatible with the JD1 .exe launcher again? Or can you still make me a working .exe launcher?

Last edited by TsunamiZ; 01.08.2016 at 11:06.
Old 25.07.2016, 12:48
JD Manager

I suggest to install JDownloader 2 again. It seems you are using old launcher that suffers from missing registry entry.
Simply backup your cfg folder. Remove JDownloader, install it again from http://jdownloader.org/jdownloader2 and then restore the backup of your cfg folder.
Old 25.07.2016, 12:49
JD Manager

It is the old JD1 Launcher that has the problem, not the JDownloader 2 one
Old 25.07.2016, 22:05
TsunamiZ

in reference to my previous post in my previous thread...

https://board.jdownloader.org/showpo...1&postcount=10

...last time i tried using the .exe from JD2, it didn't work for launching my portable .jar version of JD2--it gave me an error message when trying to run it.

due to this issue, can you update JD2 to work for this, or can you still make me a working .exe launcher for this?
Old 26.07.2016, 04:06
TsunamiZ

i've noticed now that the error message isn't just triggered by the .exe from JD1. it is also triggered everytime after performing a JD2 update when JD2 restarts itself. JD2 now fails to restart itself properly after an update, i get that message, and I have to manually launch JD2 from the .jar.

remember, this error message started happening after the recent java update. it seems like a compatibilty issue with the portable .jar version of JD2. can you fix this?
Old 26.07.2016, 04:41
English Supporter

installed version is portable, as in you can copy paste it to another device and it will work (either from the binary launcher assuming its the same OS family and bitrate, or from JDownloader.jar). The only thing installers do is provide binary loaders (exe) for specific operating systems along with shortcuts and uninstall references.

As Jiaz recommended, just install JDownloader 2.0 again and problem should be resolved.

raztoki

Don't fight the system, use it to your advantage. :]
Old 27.07.2016, 00:58
TsunamiZ

@raztoki

actually, there is more than one problem, and it seems to be related to incompatibility of .jar JD2 with the latest java version. refer to my previous post...

https://board.jdownloader.org/showpo...49&postcount=5
Old 27.07.2016, 02:56
English Supporter

I read your post, hence why I gave the response I did.

I run a couple of my JDownloader test installs from jar exclusively and works fine on the latest version of Java 101 and 102 and their is no incompatibility issue. 'seems like' is far from conclusive proof?

raztoki

Old 27.07.2016, 03:07
TsunamiZ

@raztoki

well, i have never installed JD2 on my system. so my system doesn't have any registry entries from a JD2 installation. i've only used the portable .jar version. since this seems to be a registry related issue, maybe that's why it works fine on your system, but not mine.
Old 27.07.2016, 03:50
English Supporter

I've never installed it either (other than on Mac, used .app), I run inside of IDE or copies of versions I have had for years.

Old 27.07.2016, 22:29
TsunamiZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsunamiZ View Post
in reference to my previous post in my previous thread...

**External links are only visible to Support Staff**...

...last time i tried using the .exe from JD2, it didn't work for launching my portable .jar version of JD2--it gave me an error message when trying to run it.

due to this issue, can you update JD2 to work for this, or can you still make me a working .exe launcher for this?
i suspect, when i tried that, the .exe from JD2 is 64 bit [because i'm on win7 64], which doesn't work for the portable .jar version, which is 32 bit.

can one of you developers send me the 32 bit .exe from JD2? send to sendspace.com .

Last edited by TsunamiZ; 27.07.2016 at 22:32.
Old 28.07.2016, 04:07
English Supporter

jars are not bit rate specific only the binary loaders (exe's)

raztoki

Old 28.07.2016, 10:12
TsunamiZ

i did more testing and i discovered the reason why i get the error message on JD2 restart. it is because i kept the .exe from JD1 in the directory. apparently JD2 prefers to restart itself from an .exe if it exists. so that puzzle is solved.

the only other issue now is to get the "(MULTIOS JAR without Installer)" version of JD2 to start from an .exe. my .exe from old JD1 doesn't work anymore, due to the new java update. so i need to try again with the current .exe from JD2. can one of you devs upload me the 32 bit .exe from JD2? please upload to sendspace.com and post the link.
Old 28.07.2016, 11:16
TsunamiZ

ok, i managed to get JDownloader2.exe from someone [not sure if 32 or 64 bit]. i tried to use it to launch my portable .jar version of JD2 and i get this error message...

...so it seems JDownloader2.exe still won't launch the .jar version.

so i now need a custom .exe to launch the .jar version of JD2. jiaz originally offered to do this for me before, but that was awhile ago, as seen in the last post of my previous topic...

can anyone of you devs make me one? or better yet, officially add such an .exe to the portable .jar version, for the sake of compatibility with macro programs, such as strokeit.

Last edited by TsunamiZ; 28.07.2016 at 11:23.
Old 28.07.2016, 14:13
JD Manager

Why not simply start it with JDownloader.jar ?
You don't need a .exe launcher for it.
Old 28.07.2016, 14:46
English Supporter

You don't need an exe, though he claims he does, but its a miss understanding

@TsunamiZ
your java isn't installed right ? as in you have portable Java? you then need to supply the FULL path to javaw.exe
Code:
"c:\java\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "c:\JDownloader\JDownloader.jar"
or set a system variable for example
Code:
'EXE4_J_JAVA_HOME="C:\Program Files\jre1.8.0_111\jre\bin"'
or use programdata entry
Code:
C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath
create sybolic link for for java.exe, javaw.exe, and javaws.exe
these links point to path\binary.exe

Last edited by raztoki; 28.07.2016 at 14:51.
Old 29.07.2016, 03:08
TsunamiZ

my java is from a normal install and it works fine.

as mentioned in my first post and topic title...

Quote:
I need an .exe because my StrokeIt mouse gesture program requires it. I'm trying to make a mouse gesture to launch JD2 and it only supports .exe.
so while i can start JD2 fine with the .jar, my strokeit program won't accept .jar, it won't even accept shortcuts to the .jar--it requires an .exe.

previously, i was using the old .exe from JD1 and it worked fine for this--until the recent java update, which introduced an error message. so now i need a custom .exe to be able to launch the .jar version of JD2 via my strokeit mouse gesture program.

can anyone of you devs make me one? or better yet, officially add such an .exe to the portable .jar version, for the sake of compatibility with macro programs, such as strokeit.
Old 30.07.2016, 06:07
English Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsunamiZ View Post
ok, i managed to get JDownloader2.exe from someone [not sure if 32 or 64 bit]. i tried to use it to launch my portable .jar version of JD2 and i get this error message...

_**External links are only visible to Support Staff**
Old 30.07.2016, 06:50
TsunamiZ

as i mentioned before, my java works fine. that error only happens with the .exe from JD2 when i try to use it for the .jar version--which isn't made to work for the .jar version.

so now i need a custom .exe to be able to launch the .jar version of JD2 via my strokeit mouse gesture program.

Old 31.07.2016, 05:20
English Supporter

I understand, and since no one had given you that "custom .exe", you can do it yourself, customize your EXE4J by following the link that I posted. JD2 .exe needs something else, can not run by itself + .jar. I would call it starter pack.

I have a starter pack but for 32 bit Windows, not 64.
Old 31.07.2016, 05:47
TsunamiZ

as i mentioned before...

Quote:
previously, i was using the old .exe from JD1 and it worked fine for this--until the recent java update, which introduced an error message. so now i need a custom .exe to be able to launch the .jar version of JD2 via my strokeit mouse gesture program.
...so it's possible for .exe + .jar to simply work for JD2.

Old 31.07.2016, 06:05
English Supporter

@TsunamiZ
Still think you can get what you already have working, by fixing up your system variables.

alternatively I don't understand why you don't just grab installer, install, grab the binaries you want, then uninstall if you rather not have it installed. You could have solved this yourself a week ago.

none of us supporters have the ability to give you binaries assuming we don't already have it installed (as stated earlier, I don't). The binary loaders are provided by the installer software/provider. For us to give them to you we would have to do the exact same thing you would as in install.

raztoki

Old 31.07.2016, 13:04
TsunamiZ

because having to go through the hassle of install/uninstall in order to make a portable, really defeats the purpose and simplicity of a portable version, such as the .jar version. true portable versions are just extract and go. addressing my request, by making a custom .exe for the .jar version, would also help anyone else in my similar position in the future, without having to consult the forum again for a more inconvenient workaround.

jiaz originally offered to do this for me before, but that was awhile ago, as seen in the last post of my previous topic...

...and my current topic is originally addressed to jiaz. so now that i have my situation fully explained, i want to hear from jiaz to see if he is still up for it...
Old 31.07.2016, 13:17
English Supporter

Our multi-os download doesn't come with binaries loaders and never has. I don't foresee us providing them either, to be honest. Specially just for the sake of a 3rd party piece of software that has requirement to execute exe.

Did you email him like stated within his last response?

Old 31.07.2016, 13:29
TsunamiZ

i haven't emailed jiaz. originally, i didn't need it because i was able to use the old .exe from JD1 for this. but now that the recent java update broke the old .exe, i do need a new one afterall. this topic was addressed to him, so it is my attempt to contact him for this.
Old 31.07.2016, 16:11
English Supporter

just email him on the address mentioned in your previously referenced thread, he will respond next business day. He checks emails more regularly than forum.

Old 01.08.2016, 15:47
JD Manager

I've replied via E-Mail. Either try to use/create a batch file (as Strokeit does support .bat files) or create your own launcher with launch4j
Old 03.08.2016, 14:24
TsunamiZ

thanks for the solution, jiaz! i used the .bat file method because it was easier.

here it is for anyone else who might need it...

Quote:
in notepad, copy and paste this...
start "" javaw -jar JDownloader.jar

save as...
JD launcher for StrokeIt.bat
Quote:
note: there is a bug with getting this to work with strokeit after a reboot. the best workaround is to also specify the "start dir" in strokeit [start directory]...

Last edited by TsunamiZ; 18.08.2016 at 04:52.
Old 03.08.2016, 14:40
JD Manager

Thanks for the feedback Glad I could help you
Old 03.08.2016, 16:51
TsunamiZ

hey jiaz, in the email, you mentioned you might include standalone launchers in the future. that would still be a welcomed improvement, since it will eliminate this issue altogether for anyone else who might encounter it in the future.

i would be glad to get a notification if/when implemented.
Old 03.08.2016, 17:02
JD Manager

Can't promise that I will ping you, but I will try
Old 18.08.2016, 05:14
TsunamiZ

edited my solution post above, to include a workaround for a bug with strokeit
Old 18.08.2016, 09:08
JD Manager

Thanks for the update!