JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Old 15.11.2019, 02:53
Ultra Loader

Question Setting default download directory can be confusing

Apologies if this has already been answered, but I did do a preliminary forum search and didn't get a match. It has some elements of "Download directory can't be properly set" but not really the same perspective.

I have just added a new SSD and wanted to move the default download path to a directory on that drive, so I went to general settings and (right in your face at the top of the page) updated the default path there.

However new downloads kept going to the old drive. Puzzling! ... Then something drifted back into focus from my old and slowing-down memory, because I had this issue when I changed the default download directory a few years ago.

The not-so-very-obvious solution is also to go to the Packagizer section and (assuming you've activated packagizing, I would guess) ensure that you update the Download Directory setting there too. After that, downloads will go to the new directory.

What I'm suggesting/requesting for consideration is:
Under "General" settings, for "Download Directory" please add an option (such as a check box) to keep this in sync with the Download Directory setting in the packagizer? ... Or at least put a reminder here that you may want/need to also update the directory in the packagizer.
Old 15.11.2019, 07:36
English Supporter

in package customiser if you set relative paths, it will be relative to your default download directory. If you set absolute it will continue to keep that outside of default path. Changing the default save path only takes effect on newly added links, existing links within linkgrabber will still retain the original paths. This is how the program is designed and intended to work.

Don't fight the system, use it to your advantage. :]
Old 15.11.2019, 13:22
JD Manager

exactly as raztoki explained. When you have custom packagizer rules and specify absolute paths, then you have to check/change those as well. You can heavily customize this via Packagizer/Eventscripter/Crawljobs. Even manually adding links to custom paths.
Old 15.11.2019, 17:00
Ultra Loader

Thanks, raztoki and Jiaz. What I need is a "JDownloader for Dummies" document that explains such things for those of us who don't know the innards of JD like you do. JDownloader is a work of beauty, but for lesser mortals its intricacies can be hard to comprehend.

QUESTION (for a dummy):
In package customiser where/how do you set relative paths?
Old 15.11.2019, 17:09
JD Manager

I agree with your *JDownloader for Dummies* but to be honest, none of us does have time for that.
JDownloader is full of many many cool/hidden features/secrets/capabilities

In Packagizer Rules
download Direcotry -> c:\Test -> absolute path
download Direcotry -> Test -> relative to your default download directory
Old 15.11.2019, 17:35
Ultra Loader

Thanks for the example, I see now that it's a "relatively" simple concept. ;-)

Yes indeed, I know from experience that providing detailed documentation is no trivial task. I'm retired now, and starting around the turn of the century -- this century I mean -- I developed a package for Lotus Notes called NotesTracker which is of similar complexity to JDownloader. I had to write a comprehensive NotesTracker Guide manual, and that cumulatively over the years would have taken many man-months of effort.
Old 15.11.2019, 18:09
JD Manager

We're a very small team and I already struggle to make sure to read/answer all mails and check forum new posts and then find some time for the actual work. That's nothing more than the honest answer
Old 16.11.2019, 01:35
Ultra Loader

The team demonstrates excellent responsiveness in this forum (and helping to maintain/improve JD), always with politeness and helpful answers.
Old 16.11.2019, 02:26
English Supporter

Most welcome =]

lack of documentation throughout the application (it's always been this way) and within source code is probably projects biggest downfall. This prevents or disencourages persons considering contributing at development level.

Don't fight the system, use it to your advantage. :]