JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Notices

Old 01.04.2018, 02:14
LeeB

Default Bug? JD2 in macOS 10.13.3 runs on INTERNAL jre.bundle instead of OS Oracle Java JRE??

solved! see this post below for all details.

Spoiler:
I had Oracle Java JRE 10 (2018-03-20) installed in High Sierra 10.13.3, but JD would still download it’s own jre.bundle (169.2 MB) and place it into the hidden JDownloader 2.0/.install4j folder.

On my old Mac with Oracle Java 8, the same JDownloader 2 version runs fine without an extra internal jre.bundle.

When I rename jre.bundle, JD won’t start.

Any other java .jar apps run fine when double clicking them, and so does JDownloader.jar by itself, even with renamed jre.bundle, so it just seems to be the JDownloader2.app which does not get it?

To rule out it’s a JRE 10 issue, I uninstalled both, JD 2 (via JDownloader Deinstallationsprogramm.app) and Oracle Java 10 (via the terminal command from Oracle), installed Oracle Java JRE 9.0.4, reran the JD Installer, just to find out that again it placed the 169.2 MB jre.bundle into .install4j.

I copied the jre.bundle-less JDownloader 2 folder from my 10.7.5 Mac to my 10.13.3, double clicked the JDownloader2.app, and received the following error:

„No JVM could be found on your system. Please define EXE4J_JAVA_HOME to point to an installed JDK or JRE.“

So in which JD config file do I need to set the path to:

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home
or even
/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin
?

On my old Mac, removing pref_jre.cfg, i4jparams.conf and any other file apart form i4jruntime.jar from the .install4j folder did not keep the JD.app from launching, so it’s not any config file in .install4j.

What struck me, is when running JDownloader.jar directly in my High Sierra macOS, I cannot quit it regularly but need to force-quit it, regardless of with JRE 9.0.4 or 10.0. No probs with JD and JRE 8 on my 10.7.5 OS X. Is that maybe why you devs have restricted and defaulted JD to run on it’s own JRE.bundle when OS wide JRE 9 or 10 are detected?

If not, I would appreciate the pointer where to define EXE4J_JAVA_HOME to point to the macOS system wide JRE.

Thank you,
Lee

Last edited by LeeB; 14.04.2018 at 23:57.
Old 01.04.2018, 03:33
English Supporter

I believe JD is Java 8 compliant, I've seen it run on Java 9 but it can have fall out (themes by sythentica can fail) and probably the same outcome with Java 10.

There is no need to run JD on anything than Java 8 at this time, it offers little to no benefit on the Java side and will have fall out.

EXE4J_JAVA_HOME are SYSTEM variables
unix and windows OS have them, you define them via SET or via GUI interface.

Don't fight the system, use it to your advantage. :]

Last edited by raztoki; 01.04.2018 at 03:35.
Old 01.04.2018, 04:58
LeeB

I see - thank you raztoki for your quick reply. I simply try to have an eye on unnecessary MB accumulation, esp. when it's duplicate/ redundant. I do need the full Oracle JRE installed anyway.

Which GUI interface do you have in mind?

Last edited by LeeB; 02.04.2018 at 01:13.
Old 01.04.2018, 17:05
Super Loader

I want to try Java 9 on my Mac, since it crashes every time my external monitor goes off. How to do this?
Old 02.04.2018, 01:35
LeeB

Accdg. to ht tps://stackoverflow.com/a/47034470, "In newer versions of OS X (especially Yosemite, EL Capitan), Apple has removed Java support for security reasons."

For those who want to venture ahead and set the JAVA_HOME variable in macOS to try and have JD run the system wide Java, here's a few links with instructions I found (no idea which one is most relevant):

ht tps://stackoverflow.com/questions/22842743/setting-java-home-environment-variable-on-mac-osx-10-9
java - Setting JAVA_HOME environment variable on MAC OSX 10.9 - Stack Overflow

ht tps://stackoverflow.com/questions/1348842/what-should-i-set-java-home-to-on-osx
java - What should I set JAVA_HOME to on OSX - Stack Overflow

ht tps://stackoverflow.com/questions/44009058/even-though-jre-8-is-installed-on-my-mac-no-java-runtime-present-requesting-t
xamarin - Even though JRE 8 is installed on my MAC -" No Java Runtime present,requesting to install " gets displayed in terminal - Stack Overflow

Last edited by raztoki; 02.04.2018 at 02:24. Reason: removed url masking
Old 02.04.2018, 02:24
English Supporter

@LeeB
sorry not sure about gui editor. I assume there is one, I'm not a huge macosx user.
I edited your post to allow for others to see it.

Don't fight the system, use it to your advantage. :]
Old 02.04.2018, 02:45
LeeB

Thumbs up

:cool:
Old 10.04.2018, 14:24
JD Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by raztoki View Post
I believe JD is Java 8 compliant, I've seen it run on Java 9 but it can have fall out (themes by sythentica can fail) and probably the same outcome with Java 10.
That's right. JDownloader supports Java 1.6 up to Java 10, but Java9 and Java10 are experimental support. That means it is running but may have issues. As raztoki already explained, there are no reasons to use other than java8 with JDownloader.
Old 10.04.2018, 14:26
JD Manager

@LeeB: In case you need further help with java9 and mac, please contact me at support@jdownloader.org and I will provide experimental launcher that uses system java instead of bundled one. maybe that one works with java9. but there is no real need for this at the moment.
Old 10.04.2018, 21:11
LeeB

wow you are so right!! With jre-8u161-macosx-x64 installed, I can delete the internal jre.bundle inside the the hidden JDownloader 2.0/.install4j folder, and JD still runs fine! Obviously Oracel Java 8 sets the EXE4J_JAVA_HOME correctly (or macOS High Sierra *allows* it to set it).

Until now I was not even aware that Oracle officially still recommends Java 8 anyway, see https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp (Recommended Java Downloads for All Operating Systems). As of 2018-April-10, Java 8 is still Oracle's LTS (Long Time Support) release, in contrast to Java 9 & 10 which are only "rapid releases" not meant for common use, and Java 9 not even being updated anymore, having been superseded by Java 10. Details see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_version_history. There you'll also see that Java 11 will be the next LTS.

Thank y'all for your contributions, and Jiaz for your offer. I feel a bit smarter and more knowledgeable now, how's that for a change ..

Cheers,
Lee

Last edited by LeeB; 14.04.2018 at 23:54.
Old 11.04.2018, 11:44
JD Manager

EXE4J_JAVA_HOME is an environment variable set by the launcher and not from Java
Java just sets JAVA_HOME but the launcher might not yet support newer Java9,10, which might be the cause of the issues with newer java versions. If you want we can take a look at this.
Drop me an email to support@jdownloader.org and I can provide newer installer that uses system java and you can provide feedback about compatibility with java9, of course only if you like
Old 11.04.2018, 18:12
LeeB

@Jiaz: OK, good to know the difference between the two env. variables.

if you need beta testers for JD macOS + Oracle Java 9 because at some point you do want to switch JD over to Java 9 (or at least include official Java 9 support), sure, why not, I'll email you.

So I figure you devs do want to play it safe for now and not jump two version numbers all the way to Java 10 for the next step of JD?
Old 11.04.2018, 19:00
JD Manager

The experimental stuff is about reflection/api stuff that no longer works with >=java9. for example finding device to given path for *disk free check* and other internal stuff. As long as there is no need to jump on >=java9, we will stick to java8. Security updates are not that important as JDownloader does not make use of any rmi stuff of java and the bundled version is not included in system, so no problem with browser plugin of java either. Once the internal changes are updated to work with newer java, then it will work fine with java9,10 and higher, as long as there are no further internal changes.

Yes, Java9 +Mac would be good to test, so in case you want to help, just drop me a mail
Old 11.04.2018, 20:51
LeeB

gotcha. Done - Ticket ID: SZJ-171-47878
Old 21.03.2019, 12:17
Exa Loader

I don't know if I should open a new thread for a question that is strictly related with this one.
However, after one year has anything changed as for the java version for HighSierra/Mojave OS?
Right now I am still using 1.8 v202 (JDK). Most mac forum warmly suggest either to unistall Java if not needed or to use the latest version (11).
I am not that sure but I think that the only application in my mac that requires Java is JD2, therefore would make no sense to update it and having trouble with JD2.
What would you suggest to a non techie guy as I am?
Old 21.03.2019, 14:35
JD Manager

@spock67: JDownloader uses its own bundled java (not available to other applications/system) so you can uninstall java/install different versions while JD still uses its working/compatible java version.
To your question. As long as you don't use/need Java, no need to update it
Old 21.03.2019, 16:37
Exa Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
@spock67: JDownloader uses its own bundled java (not available to other applications/system) so you can uninstall java/install different versions while JD still uses its working/compatible java version.
To your question. As long as you don't use/need Java, no need to update it
Ah, ok thanks

Guess I misunderstood the content of some posts, then. I thought some mac users had problems when using Java versions newer than .8
Old 21.03.2019, 23:02
LeeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock67 View Post
I thought some mac users had problems when using Java versions newer than .8
only if you remove the bundled java out of the JD app because then it relies on the OS Java.

re. what some update-addicted forum members say: the Java version recommended by Oracle is STILL 8.x: https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
Old 22.03.2019, 10:15
JD Manager

@spock67: yes and no. As long as your JDownloader uses bundled java, then all should be fine. JDownloader itself also runs fine with newer java but the installers/wrappers/launchers are native mac applications that don't yet support newer java versions as we have to update our tool chain and create new binaries first.

@LeeB: yes, recently discovered that for end customer they still recommend/offer Java8. I guess they first want companies to switch over...
Old 22.03.2019, 11:29
Exa Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
@spock67: yes and no. As long as your JDownloader uses bundled java,
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
only if you remove the bundled java out of the JD app

thanks.
Now, for sake of curiosity, why should someone would remove the bundled java out of JD?
Actually I don't even know I could do that.
Or, from another perspective, if I just use the version provided by this site I should be on the safe side whatever version of Java I have installed (that's to say .8 or the latest .11)