JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Notices

Old 16.07.2010, 07:25
JD English Support (inactive)

I think Bill got a few things confused.

I never said I would try to block users from making the most of JDownloader. What I did say was to use common sense. I will send details via PM, ideas for blocking connections are not for public consumption.
Old 16.07.2010, 13:15
remi

Cool

What we're talking about are peanuts. You're talking about things only a few people know and fully understand.

Only few people on the Internet download from file hosts. Only few of those people use download tools other than their browser's (this is jD's current potential market). Only few of those people know about proxy servers. Only few of these people would pay for such services to download more.

Be sure the smarter file host companies know about the technologies and the potential risks for their businesses. It will cost them always more money to fend off what they consider as "abuse". This means that only the strong companies will survive. The market will have "matured" and psp's maintenance headaches will be over. I think this evolution is unavoidable.

It's jD's choice whether they want to stay in business or are overtaken by tools that offer particular features that jD doesn't. This is the real fight/competition.

Nevertheless, it remains to be seen whether parallel proxy support is worth the effort, but I wouldn't bet on neglecting it. It might become more than peanuts.
Old 17.07.2010, 05:23

That is why I keep telling people how to implement it with nightly. If enough people try it, then we will know that a more sophisticated approach is needed.
Old 27.07.2010, 20:30
shawn8888

@remi
I use FreeRapid, which is recommended by you, remember?
It supports max 9 concurrent downloads, each one can use a different proxy from the list.
It's really a genes design and I wish I can see it someday in jD.

@drbits
There is no doubt that it is very complicate to implement this feature to jD. But you don't need to worry too much about hosts load because of this. Only very few people know how to use proxy and it's not easy to find good free and fast proxies for newbies.
Also, there are already tools like FreeRapid can do it, why can't jD?
The only problem is, is it worthy to make such a big effort for only small number of users? Well, it's up to you. All I can tell you is, I don't use jD any more since I found FreeRapid because it's 9 times faster than jD. After all, I just need a fast download tool.
Old 28.07.2010, 05:48

I am sorry you are not happy with JDownloader. If you do not need a proxy for your ISP and reconnection works for you, then no other program downloads faster than JD.

Unless you are downloading very small files, the download time is a high percentage of the total time, so it might be 2 or 3 times faster (accounting for the proxy overhead) if you are downloading from a single host. If you are downloading from multiple hosts, there is almost no unused bandwidth on your internet connection.

As I have said before, I am not worried about the host load, but the overall effect of many people using multiple proxies on free downloading.

As I have said before, JD will eventually support multiple concurrent proxies, each rotating through a given list (one list to rule them all). It is just a matter or priorities. As you say, the number of people using good free and fast proxies is small.
Old 28.07.2010, 07:58
shawn8888

There is no doubt that jD is a great host download tool. But when I need to download many files from one host quickly, proxylist does the trick. When some hosts only give you max 75KB/s per thread, 9 threads can reach about 650KB/s.
I am glad you have already put it on your todo list and I wish I can see it soon.
Thanks again for your great work!
Old 01.08.2010, 15:59
remi

Cool

I only recommend FreeRapid for the simultaneous proxies feature. I recommend other download programs for other important features missing in jD. What would be interesting to know is whether these alternative download programs are solely used for these features.

When the need to find free and fast proxy servers would increase, be sure that more programs/services would be brought to the market that search them for you. You're correct that many people still don't know what proxies are.

I don't think the implementation of simultaneous proxies is that difficult. It's difficult when the architecture of a program doesn't allow an easy implementation of this feature. Redesigning an existing architecture is difficult.

Last edited by remi; 01.08.2010 at 16:01.
Old 02.08.2010, 11:05

Actually, the proper implementation of multiple concurrent proxies is not easy. The hardest step in JD would be adding an additional object to each download that identifies its proxy and creating the proper proxy tunnel header in the IP packet to contact the proxy.

It also includes:
1) Shuffling the proxy list,
2) Distributing the downloads evenly across the list (at the start).
3) Changing the way that reconnection triggering works, so that it only affects the current connection if concurrent proxies are in use. This would result in that connection moving to the next proxy in the list.
4) Being prepared for proxy connection failure (as a non-fatal error), such as Proxy Busy or connection timeout. Being prepared for proxy conflicts with other users.
5) Gracefully disconnecting from the proxy.
6) Dealing with proxies under IPv6 (most ISPs will lose IPv4 assignments by some time in 2011).

A tool to find proxies and evaluate their speed will be necessary.
Old 02.08.2010, 12:18
remi

Cool

Several years ago I used RapGet with free proxy servers. I used a tool to find free proxies. It always found at least 10.000 proxies. I used another tool to test the speed of these proxies. Only a few hundred remained with a satisfactory speed. I had to use a spreadsheet to sort them according to speed and prepare a text file in the proper format. Of those with a satisfactory speed some were already used by other freeloaders, but this was discovered by Rapget.

I had to repeat this cumbersome process every day. IMO, RapGet is a simple tool, but it supported only one host at that time.

There are now thousands of hosts and jD supports a few hundreds of them. I was happy to find jD and I never looked back at RapGet.

EDIT: I see that RapGet now supports more hosts and is only 200 Kb, which proves that it has remained a simple tool.

Last edited by remi; 02.08.2010 at 12:24. Reason: RapGet info
Old 04.08.2010, 06:58

RapidShareDownloader - Interesting.
Proxy Server List Hunter - Also interesting.

Search for (rapget proxy lists)
Old 10.08.2010, 11:23
naaloh

remi, as far as I understand, FreeRapid Downloader is currently the only tool that's able to download from filesharing hosts using multiple proxies simultaneously. I'm too interested in using multiple proxies, however there is a problem with that: like you said many public proxies are too slow, so it's necessary to test their speed prior to adding them to the proxy list. So my question is how do you do it? You mentioned a tool you used to test the speed. What's that tool? Besides, why were you talking in past tense? Are you no longer using public proxies or is FreeRapid Downloader itself able to test them?
Old 10.08.2010, 13:31
remi

I'm no longer using proxies for downloading files. As I said, since there are so many file hosts and jD can handle the most important ones, I do no longer see the advantage of using them. My problem is disk space, not bandwidth nor download speed.

It was a program called CMSGrabber or "The Grabber" with its RapidShare Proxy Checker that tested my proxy addresses for speed and other criteria. The tool that I used to find links was Proxy Finder. You can find more on "**External links are only visible to Support Staff**. I'm not sure CMSGrabber is still supported, but its checker might still work for RS. I would no longer recommend Proxy Finder as it isn't free nor open source.

I don't know why drbits mentions those two other programs, because I don't see why RapidShareDownloader would be interesting and I don't find any working download link for Proxy Server List Hunter.
Old 10.08.2010, 16:20
naaloh

Thanks, but on those screenshots I don't see RapidShare Proxy Checker testing proxies for speed it's only testing for response time are you sure that tool was able to test speed?
Old 11.08.2010, 14:35
remi

Response time reflects speed. In order to know the real speed you need to use a statistical method with many more observations. Since this speed fluctuates during the day, the response time should be sufficient.