JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Go Back   JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH > English Support > General Discussion
Closed Thread

Old 31.10.2010, 16:05
terrylondon

Default Ubiquity

First time user here and not a happy one I tell you that. on jdownloader.org there is some addon for firefox if you have Ubiquity already installed. but either Jdownloader is outdated or the post there is outdated. something is not right because it just don't work the way it says there. the similar posts about Ubiquity are here on the forum but not in English so I cant read them as they are all French to me anyway.

I couldn't find the appropriate thread to post this so if this is in wrong section, kindly sort it out and do provide a link about how to make Jdownloader work with Ubiquity. if not, and the support is no longer there for Ubiquity, then I reckon its only fair to update the website because it does not make any sense. I've installed and reinstalled many times and its still not working. I've wasted like 3 hours trying to figure out from the English explanation of the original poster on jdownloader which itself is a task to understand. at the moment the level of frustration is very high. because I believe the website is not updated and whoever is doing it, is doing a very poor job.

I want to use Jdownloader and get more frustrated, probably like thousands of users. but at the moment I'm gobsmacked at the level of popularity of this software and the lack of effort behind it for English users. do I need to learn a new language to better understand it? I don't even want to know the answer of it!

I wanted to send an email to the author or adim of jdownloader but the "contact us" link is not provided, perhaps on purpose. hence posting here. I do hope that at least some "experienced" user will reply because to me at the moment this whole thing looks like an out of control experiment. I hope its not. because I have this impression after looking at the post starting with "problem" and "issues" and there are plenty alright. I don't want to come across as I'm loathing it, I use downthemall and other such ilks and they work fine but ever once in a while you get to see on sites saying, use Jdownloader to get premium speed and you do wonder.. and well that's me!
Old 31.10.2010, 16:39
Community Manager

hi terrylondon
First thanks for your critics, at least you don't use bad words in there.
I can't ask all of your questions but what i can tell you is that you don't have to learn another language to use JD. It's available in many languages.
Also JD is very popular because it's easy to use, why would all those people use it if it was such a pain in the ass like you describe it ?

Also maybe some people say you get better speeds with JD but that's wrong.
You get the speed that the server on the other end gives you and/or the maximum speed of your internet connection.

About "Ubiquity":
I personally don't even know this thing so why should it work with JD ?
If you want to have a firefox addon to use with JD, use "flashgot", this will work

GreeZ pspzockerscene

Erste Schritte & Tutorials || JDownloader 2 Setup Download
Spoiler:

A users' JD crashes and the first thing to ask is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
Do you have Nero installed?
Old 31.10.2010, 17:23
terrylondon

Thanks pspzockerscene. I'm trying to use Jdownloader so I can not criticise before hand. but I reckon it looks like that my post came across that. anyway, the layout and all that looks good I must say. and the speed? I haven't actually downloaded anything with it so I cant say about it. but what I do know that the firefox addon downloadhelper gives less, very less speed. and if you use DTA on the same link you get almost 3x more speed. same site and same file. I use both of them, helper to grab the link if it does not comes up in DTA. and then download it by DTA. you should try it sometime and you will the difference of speed.

Now, I understand and know the fact that you get speed if the site is giving it. you download a movie from stagevu and you get over 1mbs and you download another one after that, speeds go down. and one after that and so on. and then it comes down your internet provider as well. when they see that you are a heavy user.. that's when their sand kicks in. I reckon its sand what they all use to "sort out" us users lol.. a hardware server/filter. you probably know about it already so I wont lose my breath over it. my connection is good. great perhaps. and I have a feeling that Jdownloader is like a web based torrent program for rapidshare and such sites. the interface looks same and options brings back old memories. it does not skip the random word security option. so what I've gathered so far is, its a good program to download files from rapidshare and such ilks sites where the software have the links and download them one by one for you, after you enter the random words. or maybe it can be used to download a movie by using the bypassing addon of megavideo. not sure about that to be honest.

If you go to jdownloader.org and check the addon section there, the first one is Ubiquity, a command line interface for firefox. quiet good I must say. and up until today I was like yourself and never heard of it before lol.. and on jdownloader it tells you about it. but I reckon the addon is not supported by the latest version of firefox. and they should update the information so users are not mislead. or at least the news section that we are working on it and an update will be available as soon its done. you know what I mean. its not Ubiquity who works with Jdownloader but the other way around I reckon.

Last but not least, there wasn't any need for using bad words. cursing and swearing in discussion is not right. and we are all adults here. or well most are. or maybe some are. you know what, at least you and me are lol.. so no need for that I reckon. and learning a new language.. I was being sarcastic. anyway, I cant be bothered about it because its Sunday and its raining! but I hope you're having a better day! thanks for the reply, I appreciate it a lot mate. cheers!
Old 01.11.2010, 11:37
remi

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylondon View Post
If you go to jdownloader.org and check the addon section there, the first one is Ubiquity, a command line interface for firefox.
Just like psp, I never heard about that mozilla tool, but I found this :-

- JD Ubiquity Addon. What's French about it?

- JDownloader Ubiquity

I guess that if you've problems using that tool, you ask help on mozilla's site.
Old 01.11.2010, 23:57
terrylondon

Thanks for the reply remi.

There are few things which surprisingly everybody on this forum can not see. or at least the people who are replying can not see them. let me be specific. like yourself remi, nothing personal but if you look closely you'll see that its not firefox problem. Ubiquity works fine. so there is no need for going to there support and ranting about it. on the other hand, the Jdownloader.org site's link which you were kind enough to provide yourself says that it works with Ubiquity. but does it works? no it doesn't. that's the whole point of this debate. you happens to be the second person who has taken the time out to reply. which is very kind of you. but you have also never heard of Ubiquity. you can probably name 100+ programs to me and I'll give you the same answer you just gave me. I've never heard of it. and yet, that's not the solution, if you know what I mean.

And, nothing French about it, it's suppose to be humour and a polite humour's way of saying I don't understand it.

The link which you provided, if you read that page then you will know that its an Addon. problem solved! but the genius who wrote that page was so busy that he/she did not put the link to the addon, but only requirements and to which program it relates to. I reckon I don't need to go to mozilla support and ask them to fix it. now do I? I guess not. and only for information and knowledge purpose there is an addon on Jdownloader.org and you have to install in manually to firefox. you can find it there but its not supported by firefox. so in that scenario firefox don't have to write the browser code again. Jdownloader have to update their addon. I hope this clears up your confusion and that why I posted here in the first place. and if you read my earlier posts you will see that I've already mentioned it. and anybody who speaks English, have to only guess that what's being said on that so called Addon page on Jdownloader.org and the other Addon's underneath it do have links to download them.

Now, because all the senior, experienced and super users of this forum have not heard of Ubiquity and have no idea what their own software is suppose to do and how to communicate with other software, let me suggest a solution which I tried to look for myself on Jdownloader.org but couldn't find it and yet there perhaps a reason of not finding it or for it not being there. its a link called "contact us" which is missing. so as you are a senior member yourself and there must be even more senior members than yourself here on the forum, you can bring it to their attention that the developer website needs to be updated and the people who are devolving it needs to update the addon's and if they cant be bothered it, then at least take them down because its misleading information. and if they can and have time to do this then perhaps they can ask somebody who can actually sort out the website and its links and make it more understandable, at least for English users because not everybody speaks German. and like I said before, its all French to me mate.

Last but not least, I would've ask mozilla for support if the problem was on their end. but it isn't. I reckon the people or person who wrote Jdownloader is busy doing something else and can't be bothered to find out that how his software is coming on. and more experienced and senior people are in charge of this. which is sad. and the reason I wrote all this rant is because a hush hush reply on a forum saying you ask help at mozilla is not actually a positive thing to hear. specially from a senior member. I was very excited when I installed Jdownloader because its advertised on almost every site saying use Jdownloader to get premium speed. I never thought it could. and it doesn't. it merely simplify the downloads and keep the links in one place for you to select which one or how to download them. I was excited to use something which is plastered all over the internet. so something must be good about it. I still haven't used it to be honest. and I reckon I'll uninstall it right after I post this message. because the lack of enthusiasm behind the actual product is to much for me. I use other downloaders, been using them for some time and never had any problems with them. but wanted to try this one. my own mistake. I reckon I wont bother the forum again with why the product is not what it says on the tin, any more. but do take my suggestion seriously and do tell the site admin of Jdownloader.org to update the links and the developer to update the addon as its out dated. I tested it myself yesterday. it will help people to easily find the information what they are looking for and understand it better. anyway, I apologize to this forum that I disturbed you people. continue to good work you're doing! nice one. cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by remi View Post
Just like psp, I never heard about that mozilla tool, but I found this :-

- JD Ubiquity Addon. What's French about it?

- JDownloader Ubiquity

I guess that if you've problems using that tool, you ask help on mozilla's site.
Old 02.11.2010, 11:13
remi

I'm puzzled by the way you express yourself. Very interesting.

You never tried jD. You write that you prefer other tools. Is this based on the fact that you found an obviously outdated page on jD's website?

If the plug-in you write about is not software developed by mozilla, then I wonder who developed it, because it's not an official jD plug-in neither. You would now that if you would have tried jD at least for a few minutes.

BTW, the link on jD's page redirects to "https://mozillalabs.com/ubiquity/". This shows it certainly isn't a jD plug-in.

Note that writing about products you never tried is a risky business. The fact that jD is talked about a lot isn't a coincidence. It is the standard product all other products are compared to.
Old 02.11.2010, 13:28
terrylondon

Thanks remi again for your useful input.

Yes I prefer other tools such as, downloadhelper and DTA. why? no problems since the day I'm using them. and they do as what it says on the tin. simple. there are no broken links and their sites are updated regularly. the addons are updated frequently. and yet I never heard of the so called very talked about Jd, until it was advertised on download sites. false advertisement I must say. because you wont accept and continue to defend a product like any fan will do, I have to say that I'm not a fan or either above mentioned addons and programs. I like them and they are not flawless. they must have errors! they should have them! that's why they update it regularly.

There is no need to be puzzled remi. I really doubt that you will understand what I'm trying to say or was trying to point at. I wanted to use this famous Jd with Ubiquity. and Ubiquity is Mlabs development. Ubiquity works with everything as its command based. like MS-DOS but modern and it suggests live options and many other things. short cuts and other things. I doubt that you've used it. you never heard of it till yesterday. so I can't blame you for that. so when Jd says there is a addon and if you have Ubiquity installed.. that's where it gets complicated. first, the links is missing on Jd site. firefox or Ubiquity are not responsible for that. or you think they are? lets say I put a link here on this post which points to sun Java. and a line under it that if you have sun Java then you can use this so and so addon. who's fault is it? I'm sure a smart person like yourself can figure it out right? sun systems to blame that they have a lacky product or the person who failed to provide his addon which he wrote for sun Java and failed to post the link. need I say more mate? and if you see from not being a senior member who knows everything about the product, but a user then you will see what I'm talking about. in above scenario can you blame sun systems for not providing support for some add on which you wrote for it! or you take the blame yourself that its your error that your addon is outdated and you did not put the link up of the addon itself!

I would've used Jd but I did not. I don't think that you are the author of Jd and if you were you would've understood my point. why would anybody use a thing who's support defends its faults rather then fixing it. why? you won't use it yourself and such the matter with me. a program filled with faults, the biggest problem is. English. it maybe a well deserving program but if its support lacks behind. its shadowed by it. as in this matter. I speak for myself and not for the probably billions of users who like Jd, like yourself. if a link is missing on sun system's site there will an up roar mate and if the product is not up to date they will take it down or fix it. now, you will say they are big company and all that. true. lets bring it down to a small level. they have many products. they make millions, billions perhaps. and their products do big things! what does Jd do? does it run a system? a server? it routes the server traffic? it stops pishing? stops spamming? stops Dos attacks? it does not. its a tiny program which does a limited work based on a free product. so if sun systems are a big company and do big things. Jd is a tiny software doing one limited thing. and its not even something to brag about is it.

The other thing is, the author is missing from the support. what I've gathered so far is that, this forum is fan based. there is no official support or an official person involve overlooking support matters. its a lose circus to be honest. I post 10000 post and I'm a senior member. perhaps a moderator. I can kick people and ban them. and yet I know nothing and have no authority of doing something actually constructive. I maybe wrong in this because I haven't posted 10000 posts to find out for sure. so its an assumption. but it sure does look like an experiment which is out of control. the author is not English speaking for sure. and he will continue to be behind the scenes. doing something "big". I'm not sorry to say that you and others here will continue to defend the faults which you know and don't even know. its nothing personal to you or to Jd. but an overall experience rates the product. if you will think without the "how amazing Jd is" thoughts and you will understand that it has problems and many of them. I hate to say it again, but you provide support and yet you don't know that there is an addon on Jdownloader.org but its outdated and its not even in its right place. I told you that in my last post. and yet you defend this "amazing software" without even knowing. like I said nothing personal against you or others. you guys are doing a great job proving whatever support you can. and I still wonder, where is the author of Jd? or why one can not contact the Jdownloader.org site admin to ask them to correct the problem on their site.

On me using the Jd. first of all, Jd can not give you more speed. and its the major selling point of it. now, selling point is an expression before you tell me that Jd is free. why I've said this is because I've noticed that a lot of people in english support can not understand english very well. so its just an expression of speech. so, Jd can not give you premium speed. I get 500+ kbps using DTA. can it give me more than that? I get 1.3mbps on direct download from flvz. can it give me more than that? I get about 600kbps from fileserve, can it give me more than that? I doubt it, but I'm not sure because I never used it. and no I won't defend my own fault or error because its not right. check flmsdown and check out the links where it says download with Jdownloader and get premium speed. false advertisement. it gives you that only if you have premium account. I haven't the amazing software but I've checked the options and read some about it. I was thinking of this Jd as a superior downloader from the ones I use. but honestly speaking its just overrated and nothing else.

I hope you will understand that its nothing personal but there are faults and errors and yet nobody fixes them. and they are not so difficult to find. you've found the Ubiquity page on Jdownloader.org which points to mozilla, now can you find that addon which requires that Ubiquity which you mentioned that it points to mozilla site. let me give you the answer of it again, the addon link is not available and missing from "Jdownloader.org" and Ubiquity is requirement of that addon. I hope this is plain enough english to understand. cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by remi View Post
I'm puzzled by the way you express yourself. Very interesting.

You never tried jD. You write that you prefer other tools. Is this based on the fact that you found an obviously outdated page on jD's website?

If the plug-in you write about is not software developed by mozilla, then I wonder who developed it, because it's not an official jD plug-in neither. You would now that if you would have tried jD at least for a few minutes.

BTW, the link on jD's page redirects to "https://mozillalabs.com/ubiquity/". This shows it certainly isn't a jD plug-in.

Note that writing about products you never tried is a risky business. The fact that jD is talked about a lot isn't a coincidence. It is the standard product all other products are compared to.
Old 03.11.2010, 10:22
remi

Here's an excerpt of one of your sentences :-

Quote:
you've found the Ubiquity page on Jdownloader.org which points to mozilla, now can you find that addon which requires that Ubiquity which you mentioned that it points to mozilla site.
I can't parse this text and that's why I'm afraid I can't understand its meaning. Most of your posts are written in this style. Is this the language in your region or did you create it? (I'm just a curious guy trying to help jD's customers)

I guess you like writing, otherwise you wouldn't do this. I can't imagine somebody is forcing you to do this.

Most official jD developers are German students. They've been very wise to involve other people from all over the world and opened the board for a few other languages as well. Does that explain your complaints about the language aspects of jD's website or do you want to add yet another language, i.e., your own?

There are lots of outdated pages and data on jD's website. It's not the role of an administrator to correct documentation. That's a role for specialists like technical authors. The jD team are looking for good documentation writers who know the product (and the upcoming release) very well.
Old 03.11.2010, 17:52
DSL User

https://mozillalabs.com/ubiquity/ works perfectly well with JD for me...
I use the hg's source of ubiquity.
Sorry, I didn't read the whole thread and I don't want to.
I think it took me about 5 minutes to install the hg's source of ubiquity and add the JDdownloader verbs to it and all worked directly.
Old 03.11.2010, 21:45
JD English Support (inactive)

Ubiquity is a discontinued project at MoxillaLabs. There is also a Firefox plugin for Ubituity. It changes the entire UI to be more keyboard driven instead of mouse driven.

Thread has become non-productive.
I am closing it for now. If you have a reason to open it, please PM me.

Last edited by drbits; 05.11.2010 at 09:32.
Closed Thread