JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Go Back   JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH > English Support > General Discussion

Old 29.05.2010, 02:25
hoopbull

Default Download Stuck on Connecting...

Hello Newbie here, glad to be part of the community...

I love Jdownloader.

Recently while downloading from my rapidshare premium account, I would come back in the morning to see that all my simultaneous downloads (4-7) are stuck on connecting... This in turn causes all my downloads to wait, and the files never get downloaded.

Is there a setting or plugin to detect a download stuck in the connecting phase, and reset it?

Cheers...
Old 29.05.2010, 07:48
remi

Restart jD twice and the plug-in will be updated.
Old 29.05.2010, 12:58
JD English Support (inactive)

Also, that is a lot of simultaneous downloads. Please run a speed test on your internet connection (speedtest.net is good) and estimate the download speed from RS when you have one download with one connection. There is a tutorial on optimization of number of connections, or you can post the information here and I will figure it out for you.
Old 29.05.2010, 15:34
hoopbull

Thanks for the reply. I have tried, and I still have the same issue. Where do you think the problem is initiated?
Old 29.05.2010, 15:41
hoopbull

@ drbits,

With 1 simultaneous download and 1 connection, I average 50-150 KB/s (i realize this might be a large range).

Speed test.net gave me 3.1 Mb/s from a local server.

Appreciate the help!
Old 29.05.2010, 15:54
hoopbull

So i tried to lower my demands (2 simultaneous downloads and 3 connections), and I am still getting stuck at connecting. Now i recall that this is the reason I upped my simultaneous downloads, so that if some processes get stuck, at least others will download... Not sure what to do...
Old 30.05.2010, 10:42
remi

Cool

1) Allow java and javaw in your firewall and virus software. Disable (or un-install) the port 80/html/web scanner in your virus software.

2) Reduce the Max.Con. setting (bottom right corner of jD window) to 1.

3) JRE version 1.6.0_20 32 bits ("**External links are only visible to Support Staff**) is the last version that's compatible with jD. Remove more recent versions.

Last edited by remi; 07.07.2010 at 09:44. Reason: update 17 -> 20
Old 01.06.2010, 00:05
hoopbull

Thanks remi,

I will try and report back...
Old 01.06.2010, 11:22
hoopbull

Remi,

I in my windows 7 firewall, i only see java (TM) platform SE binary. Its weird because i have 2 of them. Any thoughts?
Old 01.06.2010, 11:23
remi

In order to know your JRE version, execute "java -version" in a command window.
Old 01.06.2010, 11:38
hoopbull

Also, how do i allow the port in my virus scan? Is that possible? I am running AVG free...
Old 01.06.2010, 11:40
hoopbull

It tells me i am running 1.6.0_17-b04
Old 01.06.2010, 12:29
remi

I've tried AVG as well. When I installed it, I could exclude the scanning option. There might be a setting/option to switch it off. You'll probably need the manual for it.

Otherwise try to use the un-installer or un-install the whole software package and re-install it again using the customised install.
Old 01.06.2010, 13:10

Try disabling the Link Checker in AVG-free. If that does not work, I suggest uninstalling and reinstalling with any link/web/network checking.

The alternative is PCTools "Free for private use" antivirus and threatfile (intrusion detection on top of antivirus). Both are compatible with JD.
Old 01.06.2010, 13:58
hoopbull

Thanks for the help, its much appreciated, ill try all of this and report back...
Old 22.06.2010, 06:06
Porsche_fan

Hi I apologize if I am not doing this correctly...don't want to hijack another's thread but from what I understood of the rules, I should post my similar situation in a like thread.

I too am having the same problem, jdownloader will work perfectly for over 24 hours and then all of a sudden it will get stuck on "connecting".

The problem started June 8th (don't know if that corresponds to a significant jdownloader update) when all of a sudden I noticed my actiontec router had failed and jdownloader at the time was stuck on connecting. I ended up having to replace the router with a new actiontec pk5000. Since then I have been having the issue at least once every day...usually more often.

I have read through a number of threads with similar issues and tried those suggestions. I am running 1.6.0_17-b04 JRE. I also have AVGfree 9.0.829 with the Active Search Shield and Active Surf Shield disabled. In the AVG resident shield I have also excluded files C:\Program Files\JDownloader\*.* and C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\*.* (I am not sure if this is the port 80 others have mentioned). I haven't yet tried uninstalling and reinstalling AVGfree.

I also have ZoneAlarm and have all jdownloader and java functions allowed. I have even tried running jdownloader with ZoneAlarm shutdown with the same error occurring.

I mainly download from RS but I have seen the problem arise while simultaneously downloading from SharingMatrix and RS. In this case SharingMatrix got stuck but RS continued on as normal. Also my max connections are 1 and max downloads 2.

The only thing that I have tried that seems to have an affect is to increase jdownloader's "First ip check wait time" to 10 seconds. If I use 10 seconds it will go much longer between instances whereas if I use 5 seconds it happens every several hours.

I have also observed that every time the stuck on connecting appears, it has completed a reconnection and then gets stuck while trying to connect to the host. This together with the First ip check delay makes me wonder if the issues is jdownloader is trying to connect to the host before the connection is complete.

Here is my log http://jdownloader.org/pastebin/4844

Thank you in advance for any assistance...this has been a very frustrating experience. Life's a nice guy without my jdownloader.
Old 22.06.2010, 08:33

First, you need to supply links with your log. And since you suspect a problem with reconnecting, you should post your reconnection script (just copy and paste).

There is a way to tell the correct value for the First IP check. Start JD without starting any downloads (you can use the Stop (square) button in the toolbar). You go to Settings -> User Interface -> Toolbar Manager and add Reconnect Now to the toolbar. Then, you change your logging level to ALLl and open the log page. When you click on Reconnect Now, it is like clicking on Change IP, so the reconnection will start right away. If you get an error or exception showing in the Log as part of the reconnection, then you have to increase the wait time (add 5 or 10 seconds). If there is no error, you can reduce the time by 2 or 3 seconds. When you find the minimum time, add 2 seconds.

Set the third line on the Reconnect Advanced page to 4 times the Initial wait time.
------------------------------------
If you have a premium RS account, do not use reconnection.

It is better to download from several different hosts (maybe 4) than to use reconnection (it is actually faster). With 4 hosts, there will always be a download ready when one of the hosts enters a wait time. Reconnection is really for people who only download from one or two hosts, but there are now many hosts and a lot of postings list mirrors.

You might take a look at Finding Files and Links.
Old 22.06.2010, 09:05
JD Manager

make sure your reconnect works fine and also try to increase waiting times (eg first ip check after 15 secs, not 5 secs...)

if your download stucks in connecting phase its caused by an unlimited timeout in current public version. you can
1.) check if removing firewall helps (remove, restart computer and try out)
2.) try the nightly (use a different folder for installation) where this timeout bug has been fixed.

this timeout bug happens when a packetloss happens during opening a connection.
Old 22.06.2010, 21:47
Porsche_fan

Thanks drbits & Jiaz for the speedy response.

My reconnection appears to work fine at the minimum First initial wait time of 5 seconds. What I mean by that is the reconnection completes a changeover to a new ip address and doesn’t hang up with a wait time of 5 seconds. However, when I try running jdownloader with a 5 second wait time it will get stuck on connecting after completing 2-3 downloads. If I increase wait times to 10 seconds it is much more stable but eventually it gets stuck. I am currently trying much longer wait times to see if that will help.

@Jiaz I had an old version of Nightly that I tried before posting this that also failed. However, it may have updated itself from a Nightly to a public version because when I started it there were 500+ updates, which I allowed. At the completion, it no longer says “Jdownloader Nightly” at the top. It also says it is the xmas version 0.9.579 which is the same as my standard version. They are however different in appearance as the styles or skins appear different and the links in the cue are different…so I know it didn’t just open the Jdownloader in my program files folder.

Also Jiaz if I understood correctly, it sounded like there is a known bug in the standard version that causes timeouts which should be corrected shortly? Is this new and would it account for my problem suddenly appearing two weeks ago?

@drbits I tried setting the First ip check wait time as you described but as I mentioned, it appears that jdownloader works fine without any errors or exceptions reported using a wait time of 5 seconds. So given that I wasn’t sure how to optimize it as it would appear that 7 seconds would be the optimum and I know that still causes issues.

Also you indicate that the third line “Timeout for ip change” should be set at 4x initial wait time. I wasn’t clear what the initial wait time is…is this the “First ip check wait time” or is this the time given for "reconnection duration"? Timeout for ip change is currently set at the default of 30 seconds…but I have never had an issue with the reconnection timingout.

Again thanks for your efforts to help!

Last edited by Porsche_fan; 23.06.2010 at 20:27.
Old 22.06.2010, 22:53
JD Manager

you are using public version.
yes there is a known bug in public version (unlimited timeout, paketloss in wrong place and jd stucks at connecting), this is fixed in nightly and next major public update.

i suggest to try out nightly (use board search in forum)
Old 27.06.2010, 21:19
Porsche_fan

I've noticed people rarely report back what works, so I thought I'd mention that changing to the fix in Nightly seems to have solved the problem. I have been downloading for 4 days without a problem using the 5 second wait before ip checks. My only issue has been several links failed in the middle of downloading from RS. Not sure if it is a RS issue or a Nightly.

Thanks for the help and hope the fix makes it to the standard/public version soon.
Old 30.08.2011, 21:11
Blob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
you are using public version.
yes there is a known bug in public version (unlimited timeout, paketloss in wrong place and jd stucks at connecting), this is fixed in nightly and next major public update.

i suggest to try out nightly (use board search in forum)
Hi Jiaz, is the problems resolved? I've been using Nightly since, but it came with its own issue (disconnect "almost finished" download, plugin outdate trigger happy).
Old 31.08.2011, 07:56
remi

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blob View Post
I've been using Nightly since, but it came with its own issue (disconnect "almost finished" download, plugin outdate trigger happy).
Did you already report this (with a log) in the Nightly forum?
Old 31.08.2011, 13:06
JD Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blob View Post
Hi Jiaz, is the problems resolved? I've been using Nightly since, but it came with its own issue (disconnect "almost finished" download, plugin outdate trigger happy).
provide a bugreport in nightly section